internal noise

How can I get rid of internal noise in order to discern God's voice?

Keep praying Rosary ... you will finally fall in serenity ... or fall asleep ...

When you find out, let me know :p

I think we mostly have to work on sacrificing our will completly over to God, and focusing on that daily with every decision we make.

[quote="theresaavey, post:1, topic:305159"]
How can I get rid of internal noise in order to discern God's voice?

[/quote]

Denying oneself, and taking up one's cross daily will eventually reduce the internal noise. The internal noise is usually the anxiety and fear that accompanies the pursuit of one's own will. Learning to trust God and His will in all circumstances is the most difficult path to choose every day of our lives. Giving up our own will and our own way does not come easy.

I used to think that 'hearing God's voice' were specific directives given to us beforehand in one's daily walk with God. Most of the time (at least for myself) it is not.

Once we are committed to this most difficult of all paths, the words of Jesus from the gospels will be God's voice speaking to us as we are walking with Jesus Christ. They will be the words that we are reminded to obey, they will be the words we are reminded when we go astray. They will be as the shepherd's staff directing us to the still waters, or to the green pastures, or through the valley of the shadow of death, or along the paths of righteousness for His name's sake, (and not ours).

All of us must be able to hear the Great Shepherd of our souls, Jesus Christ our Lord, so as to dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
God's peace be with you

micah

You probably can't get rid of it, especially if it's something like the rushing of blood in your veins, the rumblings of your stomach, or the like. If you are talking about distracting thoughts, just offer them to the Lord as part of what you have to do to pray and meditate, and then direct your attention away from them. Actually, when I have internal noise/thoughts going on, I say a little prayer of thanksgiving to God for a beating heart, a working digestive system, and a brain that is capable of connecting associations, in other words, that everything seems to work the way He designed it to work. Then I return to what I was originally praying or meditating.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Great saints experienced distraction in prayer as well. St. Therese of Liseiux was nearly driven to distraction in the convent chapel by the clicking of a nearby sister's rosary beads!

Easy answer: contemplative prayer.

CCC 2709-2724

Example paragraph:

CCC2717
Contemplative prayer is silence, the “symbol of the world to come” or “silent love.” Words in this kind of prayer are not speeches; they are like kindling that feeds the fire of love. In this silence, unbearable to the “outer” man, the Father speaks to us his incarnate Word, who suffered, died, and rose; in this silence the Spirit of adoption enables us to share in the prayer of Jesus.

By being watchful in prayer.

Being watchful is learning to be aware of erroneous incoming thoughts and to let them go rather than attach commentary to them.

For me, quiet prayer works.

Sitting in a quiet place with my eyes closed, I begin to say the name of our Lord silently, "Lord Jesus." As I say this prayer word, I turn inward and move to the center of my being where Christ dwells. I merely focus on his presence and when I find a thought coming into my mind that is other than Jesus, I return to the prayer word, "Lord Jesus."

Eastern Orthodox Saints teach the Jesus Prayer, and I have used this as well.

One of the people in my Secular Order Discalced Carmelite group taught this prayer,

"Be still and know that I am God." Repeat the prayer, and when you suddenly become aware that you've been distracted with a thought, return to the prayer but leave off the last word, i.e. "Be still and Know that I am." Next time, leave off the last again, i,e, "Be still and know." Eventually, you'll come to, "Be Still."

Obviously, the more you pray, the better it becomes and you'll begin to notice a stillness within, through out the day.

Jim

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.