International Bible Commentary

I read the daily readings and gospels every day and sometimes I am not sure of the meaning. Would the “International Bible Commentary” be a good choice for me?

Thanks, Fran

I would not recommend any Protestant commentary to a Catholic. Instead, I highly recommend the Navarre Bible Commentaries and the Ignatius Study Bibles.

Some stuff I found:

“International Bible Commentary William R. Farmer (Editor), Armando Levoratti (Editor), Sean McEvenue (Editor), David L. Dungan (Editor) – Pricey but very modern and loyal to the Magisterium. The very best that Catholic scholarship has to offer.”
[RIGHT]—Art Sippo, MD[/RIGHT]

Here’s a short review in First Things

The IBC’s a pretty hefty book and it might be too scholarly for most casual purposes. I’d probably go with Fidelis’s recommendation about the *Navarre *commentaries. Using the Scripture index in the full-size Catechism of the Catholic Church might be helpful, too.

[quote=Francis C.]I read the daily readings and gospels every day and sometimes I am not sure of the meaning. Would the “International Bible Commentary” be a good choice for me?

Thanks, Fran
[/quote]

Depends on what you want. If you are looking for high brow biblical scholarship that is modern and catholic the IBC would be a good choice. If you are looking for something traditional and that quotes the cathechism and the church fathers in its interpretations of certain passages the Navarre Bible would be a better choice.
I have both and like them for different reasons. IT sounds like you are looking for something to help you with your Devotional reading to me the Navarre Bible seems better suited for that. If your in seminary of taking a religious course in college the IBC would be better.

[quote=Francis C.]I read the daily readings and gospels every day and sometimes I am not sure of the meaning. Would the “International Bible Commentary” be a good choice for me?

Thanks, Fran
[/quote]

Personally I doubt that the IBC would be a good choice. It seems designed more for in-depth study of an entire book or gospel. An older commentary that would probably suit your needs better as it provides detailed verse-by-verse annotations is ‘A Catholic Commentary on Holy Scripture’ edited by Dom Bernard Orchard, et al (Nelson, 1953). I find it very useful but it’s not easy to locate a copy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.