Internet memes featuring Jesus = disrespectful?

For example (my imagination), there would be an image of Jesus in a serious, disciplining manner with a text balloon that says: “Don’t be a filibuster on the World Wide Web. I mean it.” and then that meme proved to be a trending topic on the same level of rage comic memes. Would this meme be disrespectful to Him?

Yes it would be, i have looked closely at your question and it think the meme would be comepeltely disrepectful to Our Saviour.

On one hand, that’s not something that I would do, even if I had the technical knowhow to do it, which I don’t, but on the other hand, I doubt that this is the kind of thing that would cause Jesus to fall off His throne.

I’ve seen a lot that just reword his teachings in modern speech systems, like as text or bro speak. Those I don’t think are inherently disrespectful. There are many others, however, that are distinctly mocking. I would say that those are definitely disrespectful.

Unfortunately, the people who make memes are generally your typical internet atheist. They genuinely don’t care that they are insulting people.

As for me, I enjoy a lot of memes, but ignore the ones that feature Jesus / God.

Some of the memes, while not really representing our religion appropriately, can still be incredibly funny though. ( I have to hope that God has a sense of humor… otherwise I’m screwed…)

All Dogs go to heaven meme
(It’s really funny, not accurate about our beliefs, but still really funny)

I don’t think an internet meme featuring Jesus is somehow intrinsically disresepctful. Certainly, many of them are. Some are just done in good humor.

Agreed.

^This! :slight_smile:

Pardon my ignorance, but what’s a meme? I see that term frequently, but coming from a pre-computer literate generation, I’m not familiar with all this new fangled stuff.

From the wiki entry on internet memes:

An Internet meme is an idea that is propagated through the World Wide Web. The idea may take the form of a hyperlink, video, picture, website, hashtag, or just a word or phrase, such as intentionally misspelling the word “more” as “moar” or “the” as “teh”. The meme may spread from person to person via social networks, blogs, direct email, news sources, or other web-based services.

FWIW, I didn’t really know what it meant either.

When you see the word online, it usually describes a random internet phenomenon that catcches on and becomes wildly popular (i.e. something going “viral”). Back in the day, it was that dancing baby getting passed around via email forwards. I can’t keep up with what the latest “memes” are today.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.