Interracial and SSM

I hope this is in the right place. I couldn’t figure where exactly this should go.

Why is it that SSM is compared to interracial marriage? It infuriates me when my marriage is compared to something that is unnatural. Here is an excerpt from a song and many people, especially young adults feel this way:
Gay is synonymous with the lesser
It’s the same hate that’s caused wars from religion
Gender to skin color, the complexion of your pigment
The same fight that led people to walk outs and sit ins
It’s human rights for everybody, there is no difference

If I say that I’m against SSM, then I’m told I’m a hypocrite because I married outside of my race. I don’t see how that statement is even logical.

I’m going to stab at it and say that people have condemned both interracial marriage and same sex marriage as immoral, indeed sometimes on the religious right today say things that are almost identical with what was said about legalization of interracial marriage.

You got it.

Your logic is fine and you are not a hypocrite.

You can quote black civil rights leader Rev. Keith A. Ratliff Sr. who said “I’m against same-sex marriage. The gay rights movement should not be compared with the civil rights movement: There is not a parallel between the homosexual community and the struggles of African-Americans in our country. I haven’t seen any signs on any restrooms that say ‘For Homosexuals Only.’ Homosexuals do not have to sit on the back of the bus, as African-Americans had to.”

All communities from all countries have developed seperately over long periods of time.
They have different customs ,different religions,different languages etc; All of them would
be wary of too close relations with one another,and until the post war period,when travel,
radio ,television,and now the internet breaks down barriers ,and we can get to know one another better we can judge ,not on external things like colour,lots of money etc .
I think that there is too much made of "black slavery " for there were masses of white Irish and even some English,taken as slaves to the new world . Human history is full of bloodshed ,but some make an excuse of their “hard times”,to avoid personal responsability,as though they were the only ones to suffer .

Anyway this is off the point a bit . Homosexuality has nothing to do with the developing
of different cultures ,history etc ,but is caused within families universally ,by something profoundly wrong in interpersonal relations,and a lack of true relation with God and Christ
and His laws of how we relate to one another in general .

I have often wondered if the Biblical Moses married a black woman. Anyone?

If the gay movement paints their “struggle” as similar to that faced by mixed race couples in the past, and if people believe the analogy is valid, then people will be drawn to conclude that SSM is a good cause, as was mixed race marriages. People are easily deluded and mislead.

Page 71 of ‘From Every People and Nation: A Biblical Theology of Race’ by J Daniel Hayes talks about Cush. It says it is:

used regularly to refer to the area south of Egypt, and above the cataracts on the Nile, where a Black African civilization flourished for over two thousand years. Thus it is quite clear that Moses marries a Black African woman

It’s not logical, and you’re absolutely right.

Opposition to inter-racial marriages (and their Indian cousin, inter-caste marriages) is based on un-scientific, un-Christian (and often pagan) ideas of racial purity and “honour”. Marriage is between a man and a woman, not between races. There is nothing in the New Testament or the Church’s teaching about marrying a particular race - and even the Old Testament strictures against marrying non-Jews are based on considerations of faith, not race. The Canaanites and Israelites were, after all, racially quite similar - and Joseph married an Egyptian, while Boaz married a Moabite.

Gay “marriage” is an oxymoron, along the lines of male breastfeeding and atheist Popes. Gay activists are merely trying to confuse the issue. It’s worth noting that many civil rights leaders would have scoffed totally at this misuse of their struggle - many of them, like Dr. King, were Christian and would have considered “gay marriage” a grievous sin.

Thank you Abyssinia!

It is an ad hominem attack to intimidate you into compliance. There simply is not logical link - do not be discouraged!

because people who use such faulty logic are hoping you will not notice it is faulty.

I would say, don’t fear the comparisons, just address them as they come. We often use the comparisons of abortion to acts of genocide such as lynchings and the holocaust and people get really upset about that. But it is trying to emphasize that abortion is a human rights issue just as a pro SSM person sees it as a human rights issue. When they bring this up, you can explain that marriage is not a “right.”

Had to address this comment…

No one says or acts like the only slavery has been black slavery and I don’t think there could ever be “too much made of ‘black slavery.’” That’s like saying to a Jewish person, “Oh, don’t be so sensitive about the holocaust. Catholics were killed too ya know.” The oppression and injustice of people of color goes back to our own laws - Jim Crow laws, one-drop rule, poll taxes. In comparison to Africans, a minimal number of white people were also taken as slaves but their journey to emancipation, owning property, voting and other civil liberties was MUCH easier.

Speak for yourself.

Kidnapping men and women into slavery is one of the ugliest of sins, condemned ever since St. Paul, and men of African origin were disproportionately affected.

What next, do we make too much of the Roman persecutions? Hitler’s deeds? The murders committed by Communists or radical Islamic terrorists?

This sort of ideology does no one any favours.

:clapping: :thumbsup: :clapping:

My guess is they’re trying to perpetuate the false idea that homosexuals are born this way. What better way to do this than by trying to equate their struggle with one in where people were discriminated for their skin color; something they were born with and could not change. The gay activists not only want to say that homosexuality is natural but that there is no opposing it. The devil not only wants to get rid of the notion of sin but also the notion that conversion of heart is possible.

My guess is they’re trying to perpetuate the false idea that homosexuals are born this way. What better way to do this than by trying to equate their struggle with one in where people were discriminated for their skin color; something they were born with and could not change. The gay activists not only want to say that homosexuality is natural but that there is no opposing it. The devil not only wants to get rid of the notion of sin but also the notion that conversion of heart is possible.

Exactly. :thumbsup:

No one is born destined to perform homosexual acts. At the very best, even if we grant credence to some of the biological studies and theories out there (and they are very bare-bones at this stage), all that is inborn is a tendency or a vulnerability. And even if that tendency is strong, it can be surmounted, like other conditions which have some biological basis (alcoholism, or even just having a short fuse… ;))

Skin colour, on the other hand, is morally neutral. Whether you’re black, red, brown (yours truly!), yellow, green or magenta has nothing to do with your faith, your deeds, and your call from God. :smiley:

I will definitely be using this quote!

:thumbsup:

You said it better than I would have. :slight_smile:

Why is it that SSM is compared to interracial marriage?

Because those that support unnatural “marriage” are desperate for anything they can use to try and sway people to their cause.

I think what people need to realize is that the institution of marriage as we know it has become so debased by heterosexuals in the West that it would be logically consistent to allow gay marriage which I suppose goes to show just how far gone the secular institution of marriage is. Marriage in the West has become so divorced from children through contraception, sterilization and abortion that arguing “they can’t have children” is kind of irrelevant. Either we work to restore marriage and make it about children again or we come across as contemptibly insincere.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.