Interrupting during Confession

I went to Confession the other day, and I have a couple questions.

If you forget something that you meant to confess, and remember it while the priest is giving advice, do you interrupt him?
If you don’t think it’s mortal, then you’re still forgiven? Like, it wouldn’t invalidate the confession in anyway, would it?

Sorry, I can be sort of scrupulous at times. Just want to stop thinking about this, and enjoy being forgiven.

No, just wait until he stops giving you advice, and then say, “Father, I almost forgot a sin.”

Nothing invalidates the confession and absolution. You can go to confession again if you remember a true mortal sin. If it’s a venial sin, it is forgiven anyway, and remember the general absolution in Mass also absolves venial sins.

(Personally, I doubt if you could forget a true mortal sin.)

Just as an addition - if you (honestly) forget a mortal sin, it is still forgiven, you’re just obligated to mention it next time.

I asked a priest this question, and he said “yes, interrupt and say the sin”. I asked specifically about mortal sins, I don’t know if it it applies to venial sins to.

Jimmy Akin’s take on this…

What If You Suddenly Remember in Confession?

He says that you can interrupt, but are not obliged to do so. It does not invalidate the sacrament.

Of course, this only applies to mortal sins. I would never interrupt the priest for a venial sin, nor would I confess it at the next confession.

I often omit some venial sins, quite intentionally.

Heck, I’ve interrupted AFTER the absolution if I suddenly remember a mortal sin (and yes, it can happen - especially if it’s been a while between confessions or something). I think it’s sufficiently important to state those sins you remember - besides which, if I forgot once I’m likely to forget again next time :blush:

Okay, thanks! I feel better now :slight_smile:
So since it was probably venial (I’m 95% sure it was), I shouldn’t confess it next time?

There are two reasons I can’t answer this: first, you are unsure whether it was mortal or venial, and, secondly, you are asking whether you “should not” confess it next time, which is different from asking whether you “should”. :slight_smile:

What I have done in similar situations is, in the confessional, mention why I think I might need to confess something that was left over from a previous confession, and then follow the priest’s advice. Each time he has said said “You don’t have to confess it, but if it will ease your mind then go ahead”. (Note, I’m talking about doubtful cases here, not the clear ones of a a forgotten mortal sin).

So, if this were me, I’d say “I forgot to confess something in my last confession. I’m 95% sure it wasn’t mortal”, and hand it over to the priest. :slight_smile:

Then I would get the peace of mind of knowing that I’ve handed it to the priest, and I also get the benefit of his advice for future reference.

In 30 years as a Catholic I’ve only asked three times, because each time I’ve learned so much that I don’t need to ask again for many years. There have also been three occasions where I’ve confessed forgotten mortal sins, without asking, because there was no doubt about the need to confess.

[quote="Edmundus1581, post:8, topic:290659"]
There are two reasons I can't answer this: first, you are unsure whether it was mortal or venial, and, secondly, you are asking whether you "should not" confess it next time, which is different from asking whether you "should". :)

What I have done in similar situations is, in the confessional, mention why I think I might need to confess something that was left over from a previous confession, and then follow the priest's advice. Each time he has said said "You don't have to confess it, but if it will ease your mind then go ahead". (Note, I'm talking about doubtful cases here, not the clear ones of a a forgotten mortal sin).

So, if this were me, I'd say "I forgot to confess something in my last confession. I'm 95% sure it wasn't mortal", and hand it over to the priest. :)

Then I would get the peace of mind of knowing that I've handed it to the priest, and I also get the benefit of his advice for future reference.

In 30 years as a Catholic I've only asked three times, because each time I've learned so much that I don't need to ask again for many years. There have also been three occasions where I've confessed forgotten mortal sins, without asking, because there was no doubt about the need to confess.

[/quote]

Thank you :) I'll hand it over to the priest next time :)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.