Interruptions during prayer and resuming without the sign of the Cross.

Hi, just wondering if there should be an unbroken continuity of prayers after doing the sign of the Cross?

Let’s say that there was an interruption, but one does not choose to do the sign of the Cross again after resuming prayers. Is the prayer still valid?

I just pick up where I left off.
A common interruption would be a phone call in the middle of praying the rosary.
“Hail Mary, full of grace…” Ring. I answer the phone. I keep my finger on prayer bead.
Wrong number. “Hail Mary, full of grace…” as if nothing happened.

I have been interrupted while praying walking down the street. “Hail Mary, full of grace…”
“Could you give me directions to…” Gave directions. “Hail Mary, full of grace…”
No, you do not need to start over with the Sign of the Cross. Just continue as if nothing happened. Simply return to where you were. The importance of prayer is that your heart and mind are on God. You have merely excused yourself for a few seconds to answer the phone, the door, or to give somebody directions.

I don’t think personal prayers have “validity” in that way, as the performance of a sacrament might. (And even those are hard to invalidate unless you’re trying.)

“Your Father in Heaven knows what you need before you ask it.” (Though it still does you good, and therefore pleases Him, that you ask.) It’s a conversation, not a magical incantation that you have to get just right.

A prayer is “valid” (whatever that actually means) with or without the sign of the cross.

The sign of the cross isn’t magical.

The only time I can think of a personal prayer needing to be uninterrupted is if you’re trying to get an indulgence and it says the prayer must not be interrupted to have a chance of obtaining a plenary, for example the Rosary said for a plenary. But even in that case I’m pretty sure God would be sensible and allow for a short interruption to give directions, talk to your child who came in wanting something, etc. I think of interruption more like you put the Rosary down for an hour to go do something else and then finished it.

These are prayers, you’re just talking to God, your father. Feel free to say “Excuse me, Lord, be right back” and then just pick up where you left off.

I would caution the OP to stop thinking about prayer, the devout life, and faith in general as a series of rules and “mistakes”.
God is not sitting around waiting for us to mess up. There are no gotcha moments for God.

Find a good spiritual Director before you become more and more legalistic, and possibly, scrupulous.

peace

The sign of the cross just says hello and goodbye. Considering those in heaven are eternally immortal, our gap f even an hour is probably unnoticable!

Bump

Nope, God will reject your prayers. Technicalities are all the rage with Him.

You bet your prayers area still valid.
God knows your heart and worry not.

1 Thess: 5:17/NAB

Pray without ceasing.

God bless,

Mary.

Thank you for this…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.