Interview help

Hello everyone!
I am brand new to this forum. I am taking a World Religions course and am required to conduct a short interview with a woman of Catholic faith. Since, I do not know anyone, personally, that fits the requirement, I was hoping someone here might be willing to help. I greatly appreciate any response/help that is offered.

Questions:

1. What do you see as accepted roles for women within your church?
  2. Do you feel that the status and roles for women have evolved within your church?
  3. What challenges do Catholic women face today?
  4. Are your religious beliefs in accordance with your view of women’s rights?
  5. If you had the power to change one characteristic of Catholicism, what would you change and why?

Again, I greatly appreciate any help/response any can offer. Thank You.

1. What do you see as accepted roles for women within your church?

I go to Mass to worship and receive Christ in the Eucharist. If the Church needs me to help or feels I would be an asset to her, I’m willing to give my time, talent, and money to those projects.

1. Do you feel that the status and roles for women have evolved within your church?

“Status and roles”. Again, I’m not in a battle with other women or other men. We each contribute. I was a mildly radical feminist in my youth. I’ve put on some years (and pounds) and have realized that much of feminism (as it is taught in college is a whole lot of b.s.). Men are as full of anxiety in situations that they must face, as are women.

1. What challenges do Catholic women face today?

Putting food on the table, caring for loved ones, paying bills, etc. Same as what men deal with and peoples of other faiths.

1. Are your religious beliefs in accordance with your view of women’s rights?

Yes, it’s a process. Episcopal women priests and the self excommunicated women priests in the Catholic Church speak for themselves as to “women’s rights”. I wouldn’t trust women with the Church’s deposit of faith. Within a generation, the Church would be looking the other way on abortion.

1. If you had the power to change one characteristic of Catholicism, what would you change and why?

That protestant denominations would realize that they have not been told the truth about the Church for at least 500 years.

Thank you for responding to my post, and for your honesty. I really appreciate your comments regarding your feeling of equality with the men of your church. Thank you for your time.

1. In our Catholic Church women can participate in most ministries, from music, to adoration, adult cathecists formation, faith formation etc.
  2. Except for being a priest, women are respected and can be the person God created her to be. I think just like any involvement one may have in any organization, the more a person is “involved”, the more recognized and therefore their status may be a bit more impressive then others
  3. Living the precepts of the church and the doctrines and all that God asks his children. Love thy neighbor, (even if it involves those who hurt us/our children). Also the busyness of everyone keeps us from God. He’s not always first on our lists of to do’s.
  4. I think so. I try to see myself as the daughter God created me to be. I try to think of Mary, the mother of God and think to myself… Here is a woman, with less rights than me in the 21st century; and yet she did the will of God and trusted him completely. But, this doesn’t mean women need to be rolled over and have injustice occuring to them. either.
  5. I don’t think so…
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.