Interview

I need prayers for my anger, anguish, anxiety, and depression. I failed to get a job that I wanted: I have 5 years of experience and a Bachelor of Science degree. Who do they decide to hire? A person straight out of college with no scientific working experience. I have been out of school for more than a year now.

I was told my interviewing skills were superb, my working background excellent, and that I needed no improvement with how I interviewed. But that sends a message to me that I’m just “not good enough,” but I’m not over-qualified. I keep telling myself, why did I not get this position? What am I missing? What am I doing wrong? Why must I continue to suffer? All I want is a permanent position with a company. I feel like a failure. All my life I have felt like a failure and been told by others that I can do better…I’m trying the best I can.

The lack of employment is emotionally and mentally draining on me. I am trying hard to act like normal at work but sometimes I just want to breakdown. Contract work is manipulative. I feel like no one cares about my job situations or the pressure I’m under. Now I feel like I’ll be working “full-time” just to start looking for a permanent job somewhere else.

I’m trying so hard not to hate or feel jealous, but the emotions keep overriding me. I want to just take a “long walk” as I have contemplated before, but I know I can’t because I have hundreds of dollars worth of loan payments I need to make each month.

It’s hard to realize, but we want to pretend that young people don’t feel this way with regards to jobs or employment. It is really hard on me, I truly feel like I really understand now how the unemployed or lacking-employed feel.

Please pray for me. I need all the prayers I can get to stop feeling this way.

I’m praying for you…

Have you heard of the novena, Mary Undoer of Knots? Google it:)

Praying for God to provide you with daily bread, not only to your body but also to your soul.

Whenever I start feeling despair, due to professional or academic issues, I will often meditate on following reading. And many times, when I was convinced to be in the end of the road, there was always something better waiting.

Do not feel alone, you have excellent company and please know there a thousands in the same position. That also adds to the difficulty, the glut on the market. You join an excellent club, our grandparents, and possibly for you great grandparents had it rough during the depression. The 80’s were tough also and now this recession is the worst I’ve been through. I pray for so many on here daily with the same problem, so know that this is in no way a reflection on you. My son searched for 4 years till his present position. My husband also does contract work so I understand your issues with that.

Keep working, keep praying and keep your head up. You’ve got a degree and experience, your chance will come, it’s just so very hard waiting for it.

God be with all those in need today who are searching for employment. Lead them to work that they love, and that has value. Guide them to a place with an atmosphere of respect and cooperation, in a safe and happy environment. Help them to find fulfillment mentally and financially. Amen.

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of Mercy!
Our life, our sweetness, and our hope!
To thee do we cry, poor banished
children of Eve, to thee do we send
up our sighs, mourning and weeping
in this valley, of tears.
Turn, then, most gracious advocate,
thine eyes of mercy toward us; and
after this our exile show unto us the
blessed fruit of thy womb Jesus;
O clement, O loving, O sweet virgin Mary.
Pray for us, O holy Mother of God
That we may be made worthy of the
promises of Christ.

Amen.

Praying for you. I’m just out of college too and I’m finding it really hard to find suitable employment. Please pray for me too, for I’m in a similar situation.

Praying hard for you to find a good job.

Praying that you will find a much better and fulfilling job than the one you were interviewed for.

Sometimes people will not take the best candidate because they want to hire a friend or someone they like. Although it is of little consolation to you, it rarely works and they aren’t the best people to work for or be around.

You will be in my prayers. God bless you.

thank God, I have always found employment, to keep me going. I have done whatever work came along, even hospital and nursing home work (neither of which I was very good at, I must add).

When you say, bachelor of science, why didn’t you state what your actual major was? That makes people like me reading your post understand your situation better. A BS covers a lot of territory. If your major was biology, what did you expect to do with it, at graduation?

Yes, we can pray; obviously we can’t help particularly, with your vagueness about your circumstances. E.G. are you willing to relocate for a job? I had to, after I got my BS in chemistry. And, according to the American Chemical Society salary surveys, I always earned higher incomes than average, for my less-then-a-lifetime career in that area. After 19 years, I had to undertake a different line of work, for family reasons.

Prayer is one thing. Emotions are another. You have to control your own emotions. That’s true all the time, everywhere.

Hail Mary, full of grace,
the Lord is with thee.
Blessed are you among women,
and blessed is the fruit of your womb
Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
pray for us sinners,
now and at the hour of our death.
Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.