Intinction use.

What’s your areas policy on intinctions, for me in England, it’s banned due to the risk if spillage and only a priest may do it to prevent infection from the chalice. But I am aware some areas have different policies, what’s yours and why is/ it not allowed?

For those who don’t know what intinction is: Dipping the sacred host into the chalice and consuming under both species at the same time. To put it into a different context similar to how you dip a strawberry in a chocolate fountain. ( This is not trying to downgrade the most holy Eucharist but is merely trying to explain what an intinction with an example)

It is not banned in the Latin Rite around here, but only a priest may do it and is not very often done in general. It is done in most of the Eastern Catholic parishes, I believe (there may be exceptions), and a spoon is often used, although in one DL that I attended, the priest did the intention using pieces of leavened bread.

Intinction is governed by the GIRM:

1. If Communion from the chalice is carried out by intinction, each communicant, holding a Communion-plate under the mouth, approaches the Priest who holds a vessel with the sacred particles, with a minister standing at his side and holding the chalice. The Priest takes a host, intincts it partly in the chalice and, showing it, says, The Body and Blood of Christ. The communicant replies, Amen, receives the Sacrament in the mouth from the Priest, and then withdraws.

It is up to the bishop whether he allows communion under both species and/or by intinction. But if it is allowed, it must follow the norms of the GIRM above.

1 Like

Not permitted in this Archdiocese. I’m in the southern US.

Its banned in the diocese I live in and as far as I know in the Ordinariate, but at least one Eastern church that meets in my area does use intinction at least for the priest.

I do not know the rules for the Roman diocese I live in are but our Eastern Catholic church’s communion is by intinction. I know of several local Lutheran churches that also distribute communion by intinction.

In my diocese intinction is almost unheard of, except at the cathedral where it is the norm at least on Sunday mornings. The priest celebrant and the deacon each distribute at the head of the two lines.

Over here, it’s usually done only on very particular solemnities (Easter and Christmas), though I’m not sure if that’s just a tradition or an official order by our Bishops.

I have seen Eucharistic Ministers do it for themselves here. An off-duty EM in line ahead of me took the host they received, then dipped it in wine from a cup held by another EM. I’m not sure that’s permitted.

Self-intinction is definitely not permitted. An EMHC giving Communion by intinction is also not allowed.

in my Archdiocese it’s not permitted unless the priest presiding over the Mass performs it, and I’ve only seen one isolated instance where they did.

I’ve only seen intinction once in the Latin Rite. It was quite a surprise - a tiny little church in a resort area, so the congregation was comprised almost entirely of visitors during the summer. They received by intinction, kneeling at a communion rail. This was in the early 2000s.

Over 20 years ago I remember it being done in a basilica here in this diocese as a matter of routine. The priest used a special patten with an attached cup and you gave a nod (or something) if you wanted it instincted. In my parish we are asked to discourage self intinction. I cannot remember the last time someone sought it.

It is routine in my parish, and in a few others in my area.

It has the advantage of being able to offer both species, but without using a large number of Extraordinary Ministers.

Self-intinction is forbidden and most parishes will see the EMHCs shake their heads or even cover the chalice rather than allow it. Ours will allow it because they haven’t been taught not to but at least a couple of times a year we’ll put something in the bulletin and have Father mention that it’s forbidden.

I remember at one point being taught that in Canada it wasn’t allowed because it removed the option of Communion in the hand which was every communicant right. But I have never inquired about it from our Bishop.

I do not understand how an area can have a policy of banning intinction. From the 2004 Instruction Redemptionis Sacramentum:

“[103.] The norms of the Roman Missal admit the principle that in cases where Communion is administered under both kinds, “the Blood of the Lord may be received either by drinking from the chalice directly, or by intinction, or by means of a tube or a spoon”.[191] As regards the administering of Communion to lay members of Christ’s faithful, the Bishops may exclude Communion with the tube or the spoon where this is not the local custom, though the option of administering Communion by intinction always remains. …”

This document has at the end:

"All things to the contrary notwithstanding.

This Instruction, prepared by the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments by mandate of the Supreme Pontiff John Paul II in collaboration with the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, was approved by the same Pontiff on the Solemnity of St. Joseph, 19 March 2004, and he ordered it to be published and to be observed immediately by all concerned.

From the offices of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, Rome, on the Solemnity of the Annunciation of the Lord, 25 March 2004.

Francis Card. Arinze
Prefect
[RIGHT]
Domenico Sorrentino
Archbishop Secretary[/RIGHT]"

The full instruction is at vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccdds/documents/rc_con_ccdds_doc_20040423_redemptionis-sacramentum_en.html .

A policy that bans the option of intinction is not consistent with this Instruction. Obviously I am talking about intinction as described in the Roman Missal.

It is banned in our area for this reason: The person revives the host from the priest, he then walks with the host in his hand to the chalice, and then dips the Host in the chalice, during this ‘journey’ the risk to the host dropping or some of the Precious Blood dripping to the floor is deemed to great a risk and so is banned, only a priest may do it if he was a cold or the flu to prevent cross infection but as he must receive under both kinds himself, he also has a corporal so if he where to spill anything it would drop on there rather than on the floor. . In some areas where the priest distributes the Blood himself after the Hosts then it is deemed too long to be sat in the pew holding the Host before going up to intinct and so is banned in this case as well.

A clarification:

Most of what you are describing above is not permitted anywhere.

Intinction, when done by a priest, and when done properly is always available. The practice cannot be “banned” by any local authority, the reason being that the Roman Missal very specifically permits it. The priest does not need any particular reason to use this option. It’s not limited to when he is ill, or others are ill, or any other such restrictions. Again, when it’s done properly, it’s always permitted.

Self-intinction (a sort of unofficial description) is when the communicant (not the priest) dips the Host into the Precious Blood. That is banned universally.

The other practice you describe, where the communicants receive a Host then later come forward (still holding the host) is not a permitted form. I don’t know if there is any particular name for that practice, but regardless of that, it’s not permitted anywhere, because the communicant must consume the Host immediately upon receiving It.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.