I attended an introduction to RCIA today, and heard among other things this:
- Contraception is up to your own consciousness (the teacher said she used it herself)
- Encyclicals are only recommendations
- “The apostles weren’t Catholics”
- The Church should share communion with lutherans
- Lutherans have valid communion (and sacraments in general… and they have 7, they just don’t know)
- Abortion *may *be okay in some circumstances
And so on and so on…
Basically the theme was “Why you might as well stay where you are”… It has confused me very much, and I feel like they don’t take the sacrifices I have had to bring and will have to bring to become a Catholic serious. I have still not talked to a great deal of my family about it, and I know it’s gonna hurt. I could have used some sort of understanding and support from the Church.
In Chestertons words, I am more or less at the stage where nothing a Protestant could say would convince me not to convert, but the words of the Catholics distress me deeply. What’s more, these things seemed to be the general idea in the church, among the priests and even the bishop.
It seems like there is no Catholic Church here at all… I still don’t have a home
I was almost sure the Lord was leading me to the Catholic Church, but now I don’t feel so sure anymore… This is not what i had expected to find. Could this *really *be what he wants me to convert to?
Please pray for me.