introduction

Hey guys,

I wanted to briefly introduce myself, as I may be posting (hopefully infrequently) on this forum. I was raised in what many would consider a conservative, catholic family. I was the alter boy, while my father and sister sang in the church choir. While in college several years back, I began to question my religious beliefs, the validity of them, and where many of them came from. To make a long story short, I chose Islaam as my religion and way of life.

As you may imagine, my catholic family has long hoped that I would “come back” to the truth and open my eyes and heart. My sister, whatever her reasons may be, sent me a link to this forum, suggesting that there may be nice discussions that may interest me. She also warned me that some of them can get downright ugly, as some members end up in a mud slinging contest.

I have read a several posts that did disappoint me, but perhaps this should be expected considering this is not a Muslim forum. Nevertheless, if and when I have the knowledge to answer and reply to questions (which will probably be rare), I will do my best to do so. I will not be reading and posting often, as it seems many Catholic apologists do (ie. hawk…seems like you enjoy posting defaming things on Islaam). So if you ask a question or want to reply to something I wrote, please do understand that I may not check for several weeks.

God willing, this forum is meant to discuss the similarities and differences between these two religions in an effort to gain a heightened understanding of their beliefs. Hopefully the questions, and their respective answers, can reflect this.

Jonathan

[quote=jcaz]Hey guys,

I wanted to briefly introduce myself, as I may be posting (hopefully infrequently) on this forum. I was raised in what many would consider a conservative, catholic family. I was the alter boy, while my father and sister sang in the church choir. While in college several years back, I began to question my religious beliefs, the validity of them, and where many of them came from. To make a long story short, I chose Islaam as my religion and way of life.

As you may imagine, my catholic family has long hoped that I would “come back” to the truth and open my eyes and heart. My sister, whatever her reasons may be, sent me a link to this forum, suggesting that there may be nice discussions that may interest me. She also warned me that some of them can get downright ugly, as some members end up in a mud slinging contest.

I have read a several posts that did disappoint me, but perhaps this should be expected considering this is not a Muslim forum. Nevertheless, if and when I have the knowledge to answer and reply to questions (which will probably be rare), I will do my best to do so. I will not be reading and posting often, as it seems many Catholic apologists do (ie. hawk…seems like you enjoy posting defaming things on Islaam). So if you ask a question or want to reply to something I wrote, please do understand that I may not check for several weeks.

God willing, this forum is meant to discuss the similarities and differences between these two religions in an effort to gain a heightened understanding of their beliefs. Hopefully the questions, and their respective answers, can reflect this.

Jonathan
[/quote]

Hi Jonathan and welcome. Please do some more reading here before you find the forum “disappointing” and are so quick to judge its members.

I’m not certain what you mean about the comment “this should be expected considering this is not a Muslim forum” but maybe you can enlighten us?

If you would like to be taken seriously here I would suggest a less hostile attitude for your first post.

Point taken.

My “hostile” attitude was, although I did not feel it was hostile, due directly to several of the posts defaming Islaam. I really do not think there is a need for me to go and cut and paste all of them here in order to prove they exist, as that would fill up too many pages. And yes, I was disappointed. And also, yes, it is expected. Perhaps I should have not said “considering this is not a Muslim forum”, because even if it were, I would also expect to find non-Muslim members present only to defame Islaam. Surely you understand this, as many non-Catholic Christians spend hours trying to do the same thing towards Catholicism.

And no, I have not found the forum disappointing. Rather, I look forward to the opportunity of intelligent discussions, based on evidences, with you. Just because we may disagree does not mean we have to fight. Islaam, as I do believe Catholicism, teaches tolerance. So hopefully members can truly educate themselves on others’ beliefs…not be converted, but merely gain an intellectual, true understanding of another religion.

jcaz: It might be more beneficial to all of us if you stick around and explain what led you away from Catholicism a bit more. It would certainly give us a greater understanding of Muslim objections.

I’ll refrain from asking specific questions until I know it’s ok to do so, and I know you’ll actually answer them. Until then, God bless.

[quote=jcaz]Point taken.

My “hostile” attitude was, although I did not feel it was hostile, due directly to several of the posts defaming Islaam. I really do not think there is a need for me to go and cut and paste all of them here in order to prove they exist, as that would fill up too many pages. And yes, I was disappointed. And also, yes, it is expected. Perhaps I should have not said “considering this is not a Muslim forum”, because even if it were, I would also expect to find non-Muslim members present only to defame Islaam. Surely you understand this, as many non-Catholic Christians spend hours trying to do the same thing towards Catholicism.

And no, I have not found the forum disappointing. Rather, I look forward to the opportunity of intelligent discussions, based on evidences, with you. Just because we may disagree does not mean we have to fight. Islaam, as I do believe Catholicism, teaches tolerance. So hopefully members can truly educate themselves on others’ beliefs…not be converted, but merely gain an intellectual, true understanding of another religion.
[/quote]

Jonathan, if I were to tell you some of the things I have read about Catholicism on whyislam.com it might change your tune.

Any time a Catholic expresses their belief they defame Isalm and the same holds true for Islam.

When a Muslim says there is no Trinity on a Catholic or Muslim forum, they defame my faith. When I say Muhammed did not hear the word of God I defame yours.

You may want to get used to that if you want to be part of the forum.

We both need tolerance.

If you think I am being disingenuious please visit whyislam.com and search by my name. I have always been respectful when treated so.

Hey Ghosty.

Perhaps that will make a good post in the future. But I’m already second-guessing myself at joining this forum. Do not get me wrong…I know that I will enjoy the discussions. But as you know, one can end up spending hours and hours and hours just typing replies…something I do not have the luxury of doing.

With regards to explaining my “story” of how I left Catholicism and became Muslim, I definitely enjoy sharing this. However, I also would not want to offend anyone, because even when employing extreme tact, the reality of my “story” is that I left Catholicism…which means that there were certain tenets of the faith that I disagreed with. You know, had you caught me several years ago, when I was new to Islaam and ignorantly passionate about my beliefs, I would have perhaps been eager to come on here and “tell you all where you are wrong” and you would have been correct in labeling me one of those “bashers”. But as I quickly learned, this is NOT from Islaam. And as such, this is far from my intention of joining your forums. Actually, I simply joined earlier to respond to a post someone made. If I have the opportunity, with my limited knowledge, to defend Islaam, then I will try to do so. Other than that, this is a Catholic forum, and I would hope to maintain the integrity of that. If anyone does have questions, and the moderators do not mind, I’ll see if I can answer them.

Thanks.

[quote=jcaz]Hey Ghosty.

Perhaps that will make a good post in the future. But I’m already second-guessing myself at joining this forum. Do not get me wrong…I know that I will enjoy the discussions. But as you know, one can end up spending hours and hours and hours just typing replies…something I do not have the luxury of doing.

With regards to explaining my “story” of how I left Catholicism and became Muslim, I definitely enjoy sharing this. However, I also would not want to offend anyone, because even when employing extreme tact, the reality of my “story” is that I left Catholicism…which means that there were certain tenets of the faith that I disagreed with. You know, had you caught me several years ago, when I was new to Islaam and ignorantly passionate about my beliefs, I would have perhaps been eager to come on here and “tell you all where you are wrong” and you would have been correct in labeling me one of those “bashers”. But as I quickly learned, this is NOT from Islaam. And as such, this is far from my intention of joining your forums. Actually, I simply joined earlier to respond to a post someone made. If I have the opportunity, with my limited knowledge, to defend Islaam, then I will try to do so. Other than that, this is a Catholic forum, and I would hope to maintain the integrity of that. If anyone does have questions, and the moderators do not mind, I’ll see if I can answer them.

Thanks.
[/quote]

asalamu alaikum wa rahmatulla wa barakatu brother

welcome :slight_smile:

Amen. If I got paid for posting, I’d be a millionaire. It does indeed take a lot of time and effort to make adequate and helpful posts. I feel your pain.

With regards to explaining my “story” of how I left Catholicism and became Muslim, I definitely enjoy sharing this. However, I also would not want to offend anyone, because even when employing extreme tact, the reality of my “story” is that I left Catholicism…which means that there were certain tenets of the faith that I disagreed with.

Since you’re new to these boards, you may not be familiar with the organization that formed them, or their purpose. This isn’t a “by Catholics, for Catholics” forum, but rather “Catholic meets/discusses the faith with others” (which is the focus of Catholics Answers, the organization that formed this place), and a place for Catholics to dicuss doubts/issues/questions relating to the faith. You explaining why you left Catholicism wouldn’t just be welcome, it would be well within the intent of these forums. It allows us to see objections from a Muslim perspective, and helps us to dig deeper into our own faith. Try to ignore the shrill people who may shout at your for leaving the Church; they don’t represent the intention of these forums.

When you feel the time to post, feel free to post the basics of your story, and then I’ll know it’s ok to ask you questions. Until then, peace be with you and you’ll be in my prayers.

:blessyou:

[quote=jcaz]Hey guys,

Jonathan
[/quote]

Hi Jonathan,

You are most welcome here.

Inter-religous discussion can be offensive and frustrating at times but if we discuss with sincere hearts, it will be mutually beneficial. I have discussed with some Mulsims here and I can say that I am very enriched for doing so.

Challenges to our religions respectively are understandable. Done with sincerity it will only makes the defender more learned as he/she will have to do his/her homework in answering the challenges.

Yes, there are some who are not interested in fruitful discussion, and you can recognise them after a while. Then you may prefer to leave them well alone.

Peace.

God bless you.

Reuben.

Welcome Jonathan,
I was just curious why you mentioned Hawk(who used to be Muslim) and not a person like the user “Kaffir” or "proud Kaffir"
I guess it depends on your definition of defaming. I notice that one problem with Muslims and Christian is the definition of the words.

[quote=jcaz]I will not be reading and posting often, as it seems many Catholic apologists do (ie. hawk…seems like you enjoy posting defaming things on Islaam).
[/quote]

Peace to you and to your family.
Your brother,
Luigi

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.