Intrude Others Privacy: Is it A Sin?

The Privacy I am talking about is about “information privacy” such as our handphone, Ipad, and other kinds of information.

But I don’t mind expanding the topic into discussing real life privacy in order to define what privacy is

So…

1. Is privacy God given right?
  2. Is it a sin to intrude into somebody’s privacy? or, Which of the 10Commandments?

Thanks and God Bless!

I think privacy is a matter of showing respect for others and their autonomy, so yes, violating that could absolutely be a sin, because to violate it would be refusing to acknowledge human dignity.

However, what constitutes a violation would vary by person and by culture (and by relationship - a parent has natural authority over a minor child that would mean limiting their privacy in some respects, but that wouldn’t extend to the parent’s neighbor). Etiquette and social norms would dictate “the rules” about privacy.

I think invasion of privacy could also connect to sins like gossip.

It would depend on the circumstance.

Your child is missing… all bets are off… anything and everything is to be turned over, and gone thru. Then there is the fact that children are the responsibility of their parents and as such earn the privilege of privacy. Child starts giving cause to not be trusted, then the parent has the responsibility to look at what ever is required to ensure the health (mental and physical) and safety of the child.

You’re boyfriend/girlfriend leaves their Electronic device unlocked and one goes snooping because you’re curious… that is a lack of respect and certainly not in line with “love one another as I have loved you” let alone “love they neighbor;” therefore IMHO, this would be sinful. To share this information afterward would certainly be in line with gossip or other such acts; thus, potentially a mortal sin

Posting pictures secretly taken of another in a “private” moment or of those parts that one would expect to be able to keep private, is IMHO a serious sin also potentially verging on mortal sin.

This question is so wide open, that one becomes curious to the point that the question becomes, if you have to ask, does that not speak volumes to your soul?

1. respect 2) autonomy 3) human dignity … like it :thumbsup:

However, what constitutes a violation would vary by person and by culture (and by relationship - a parent has natural authority over a minor child that would mean limiting their privacy in some respects, but that wouldn’t extend to the parent’s neighbor). Etiquette and social norms would dictate “the rules” about privacy.

I think invasion of privacy could also connect to sins like gossip.

1. various individual value
  2. culture, etiquette, social norms
  3. parent’s natural autorithy over their own children

I assume parent-child only during the time they’re underaged?

1. circumstancial

Your child is missing… all bets are off… anything and everything is to be turned over, and gone thru. Then there is the fact that children are the responsibility of their parents and as such earn the privilege of privacy. Child starts giving cause to not be trusted, then the parent has the responsibility to look at what ever is required to ensure the health (mental and physical) and safety of the child.

1. child safety

I think I’ll add 9) adult safety too

You’re boyfriend/girlfriend leaves their Electronic device unlocked and one goes snooping because you’re curious… that is a lack of respect and certainly not in line with “love one another as I have loved you” let alone “love they neighbor;” therefore IMHO, this would be sinful. To share this information afterward would certainly be in line with gossip or other such acts; thus, potentially a mortal sin

Love thy neighbour as yourself… I think this has something to do with human dignity?

Posting pictures secretly taken of another in a “private” moment or of those parts that one would expect to be able to keep private, is IMHO a serious sin also potentially verging on mortal sin.

I think this one is decency or is it more than decency issue? Is it adulterous behavior and so on? Yeah I think so right…

This question is so wide open, that one becomes curious to the point that the question becomes,
if you have to ask, does that not speak volumes to your soul?

Just to clarify, I am not trying to intrude anyone’s privacy
I am trying to understand what privacy is, and what are the unmoved, non-relativistic Morality behind it

Because you are right this question is so wide open…
Nowadays we have computers at home and it comes with all sorts of information.
On one side we concern about our childrens safety, thus we want to “control” their privacy. On the other side, it also prone to bad aspects that others can “control” our privacy which basically an intrusion of privacy, except we use the word “control” for parents, and “intruson” for non-parental privacy intrusion

How about government control our privacy? Would that be ok? But such will also prone to hackers because if we allow “good strangers” control us, with the same tools, the “bad strangers” also controlling us and bring danger to ourselves and our children.

And what is the unmoved-non-relativistic Morality for this type of ‘control’ cum ‘intrusion of privacy’
is it for the sake of goodness or not really?

thanks for the answers and God Bless

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.