Intruder got deep into White House, sources say

Fox News:

Intruder got deep into White House, sources say

The intruder who jumped the White House fence earlier this month and sprinted through the mansion’s front door made it much farther into the building than previously claimed, sources told Fox News on Monday. The sources confirmed a Washington Post report that the alleged intruder, Omar J. Gonzalez, overpowered a Secret Service officer and made it into the East Room on Sept. 19. A struggle and “wrestling” inside the White House ensued.

The revelation came on the eve of a House Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing to address the breach, at which Secret Service Director Julia Pierson was expected to testify. The Tuesday hearing will address lawmakers’ “concerns” about the Secret Service’s security protocols.

Gonzalez, 42, who allegedly had a knife, was eventually tackled by a counter-assault agent in the East Room after he reached the doorway to the Green Room, a parlor overlooking the South Lawn.
Rep. Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, who chairs a House subcommittee on national security oversight, also confirmed to CNN that whistleblowers had informed his panel of the breach.

Well… at least the White House’s security is better than that of Buckingham Palace. :stuck_out_tongue:

:ehh:

When I was there last, a lot of the guards had semi-automatic weapons during the Changing of the Guard.

So the Administration lied again. Not surprising in the least.

Best line I read yesterday: “I don’t want the President’s Secret Service detail to ‘look like America’. I want it to look like an NFL offensive line, with guns.”

This PC nonsense of hiring unqualified people, especially for security positions like this, will result in people getting hurt and killed.

…and how is this related to Catholic Answers :confused:

Well, this is the World News forum. :shrug:

There is a Catholic Church down the street from the White House.

There was a famous occasion in 1982 in which the Queen awoke to a strange man standing in her bedroom staring at her. He had climbed over the wall, scaled a drainpipe, and entered the palace through an unlocked window. No one else even knew he was there until the Queen leapt out of bed and ran to find security when he asked for cigarette.

I did hear that after entering the White House, he overpowered one agent and continued on deeper in. There are a lot of legitimate questions that need answering, including:

1. Who was watching the fence and why wasn’t the alarm raised?
  2. Why was that door unlocked?
  3. Why was the alarm on that door disabled?
  4. Was the overpowered SS agent a fully qualified protective detail member?
    4A. If yes, was the unarmed combat qualification testing for this agent of a lower bar than for others in order to meet “diversity goals?” If so, is it likely that that lower standard is partially responsible in this case for the intrusion not being halted at that point?

4A is likely to raise some hackles, but given the track record of this administration it’s worth asking. Sometimes PC really does run amok and people forget what the real mission is.

In answer to the first question, the alarm was disabled by the Secret Service because the system was supposedly malfunctioning and annoying the White House ushers.

Ummm

washingtonpost.com/politics/armed-former-convict-was-on-elevator-with-obama-in-atlanta/2014/09/30/76d7da24-48e3-11e4-891d-713f052086a0_story.html

It’s almost like they want the President to get killed. This level of incompetence is sadly acceptable in govt.

I don’t mean the door alarm, I mean at the fence line. When I visited this summer, there was at least a 3 man SS team on the roof with a machine gun wrapped under canvass, but mounted on a tripod. 2 were scanning the fence line while the third appeared to be taking a rotating rest. Somebody should have been on the radio the instant he hurdled the fence.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.