Inventor takes inspiration from a cork-screw to develop a better way to give birth

Daily Mail:

Inventor takes inspiration from a cork-screw to develop a better way to give birth

[LEFT]An Argentinian car mechanic has invented a potentially life-saving device that could be used to help deliver babies when complications occur during labour.

Jorge Odón, 59, designed the instrument which could be safer than forceps, a ventouse, or a Caesarean section, in a non-hospital setting.

The Odón Device uses a polyethylene sleeve, fixed around the baby’s head, to pull the child down the birth canal.

Mr Odón, who has no medical background, says he came up with the idea after seeing a YouTube video of a person removing a cork from a wine bottle using just a plastic bag.

He says that after seeing this trick, he realised the principle could also be applied to help women struggling during labour.
[LEFT]
He says the thought hit him in the middle of the night and he woke up his wife to tell her about it, but that she just told him to go back to sleep.
Despite her dismissal, Mr Odón began work on the design and it is now the subject of a World Health Organisation approved study.

It is being tested in Argentina and in rural South Africa to establish whether it could act as a safe and feasible birth aid for use by midwives with minimal training.

If it is brought into widespread use, Mr Odón says the gadget could be the first innovation in operative vaginal delivery since the development of forceps centuries ago.
The Odón Device allows a birth attendant to place a plastic ‘bell’ on the baby’s head before sliding a polyethylene sleeve along the birth canal and around the baby’s head.
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

How kewl is that! Just a guy with an idea, no government research grants.
I hope it lives up to expectations.

[LEFT][LEFT]

[/LEFT]

[/LEFT]

i heard that the guy who invented Velcro took his inspiration from cockleburs.

Hope it works.

Anyone want to take a bet on how long it will be before he is named in a malpractice lawsuit?

If you want to fix healthcare costs in America, install real tort reform.

Even in this litigious culture, I think an Argentinian mechanic is safe from US lawsuits. I don’t believe there is such a thing as extradition for civil legal matters.

I think it’s a great idea, and if it can only save the lives of babies in places with a lower percentage of malpractice lawyers, well, it will be nice to have more people living in places with a lower percentage of malpractice lawyers. :wink:

–Jen

It’s not intended to be used in the US or other developed countries. It’s for women in the developing world usually attended by midwives in situations where a Caesarian would be done in the US.

Anyone want to bet on how long it will be adapted into an abortion instrument?

This is very interesting. I read about it a couple of days ago. I really hope that the device saves the lives of many children and their mothers.

Mid-wives don’t do c-sections. And the reason there are so many c-sections done in the US is simply because of the risk of litigation.

Also, because physicians don’t have the patience (or are too profit minded) to wait too long for a vaginal birth. My Mom took 3 days to deliver me (in 1968): there’s NO WAY a doctor today would wait that long for a delivery–they must force it.

Just like the Obama Government that is good at “forcing” things:shrug:

Yes, and that’s why they seldom even use obstetric forceps. First, it’s harder to train students to use them, secondly, a C-section for any complication has become almost standard, along with of course, fear of litigation.

Nothing to do with convenience (moms can now just order them up, like a burger or something) or how much docs and hospitals get paid…?:rolleyes:

I’ve never heard of a super sized c-section with fries and a Coke. :confused:

It’s called C-section “on demand” and it has some pretty ardent proponents (as well as opponents). Read about it here:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3215597/

Per this article, it is also a more costly choice: chqpr.org/blog/index.php/2013/01/how-to-save-5-billion-in-healthcare-spending-for-employers-and-taxpayers/

Must be like movies or tv shows on demand on cable or satellite tv.:shrug: Sort of like the two fish that we’re swimming along and they ran into a concrete wall. One fish turns to the other and says “DAM!”:smiley:

They don’t “force” it because they are impatient. But the longer the labor is the greater the chance of complications. If we had legitimate tort reform, the physicians could work with the parent’s wishes and, perhaps, let the labor continue. But with the great risk of litigation due to any perceived complication of delivery, it is much safer for physicians to simply revert to c-sections.

Have you delivered any babies?

You could ask Michelle Duggar. She had delivered 19 of them, according to the tv show 19 Kids And Counting.

c

Have you delivered any?

It’s quite a generalization to say they don’t force it because of impatience. C/sections happen for a variety of reasons - not all of them having to do with litigation (or even medicine for that matter). Is there some evidence that Ob/Gyns do less Csections in states with caps on medical liability than in those without?

And before Caesar, there were billions of vaginal births.

Yes I have.

I’m not going to over-generalize and say there has never been a c-section because of a physician’s impatience, but it is certainly an improper generalization to infer that it is a common practice.

I don’t know if there is data about fewer c-sections in states with malpractice caps, but there is data showing the improvements in health care access and cost savings associated with liability caps. However liability caps are only one small portion of the tort reform needed. I practice in a state with a liability cap and just had to write a check for my malpractice…there went my pay for my next ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY WORK HOURS just to pay a group of lawyers to protect me from another group of lawyers.

I don’t know what you do for a living Seekers, but imagine having to cough up your entire pay for the first one hundred and forty work hours just to protect yourself from lawyers.

It is extortion.

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.