Invincible Ignorance: Scriptural?

Is there any Scriptural backing for the concept that non-Christians may be saved?

Is there any for Baptism by desire?

Or would these things fall under Tradition?

How about these verses for invincible ignorance:

34And Peter opened his mouth and said: “Truly I perceive that God shows no partiality, 35but in every nation any one who fears him and does what is right is acceptable to him.” (Acts 10:34-35)

47And that servant who knew his master’s will, but did not make ready or act according to his will, shall receive a severe beating. 48But he who did not know, and did what deserved a beating, shall receive a light beating. Every one to whom much is given, of him will much be required; and of him to whom men commit much they will demand the more. (Luke 12:47-48)

NAB JOH 15:22

“If I had not come to them and spoken to them, they would not be guilty of sin; now, however, their sin cannot be excused. To hate me is to hate my Father. Had I not performed such works among them as no one has ever done before, they would not be guilty of sin; but as it is, they have seen, and they go on hating me and my Father.

There’s also some stuff in the book of Wisdom about people worshiping nature in a mistaken search for God. It’s a little unclear whether or not such people are absolutely condemned.

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.