Invoking the Holy Spirit

I read through the guidelines and directions for the prayer intentions forum.

What I am proposing does not seem to appear there.

I apologize if I missed something.

I am proposing that each person deliberately (and carefully) and solemnly invoke the Holy Spirit … to take a greater hand in providing direction and guidance to us and to our political and religious leaders.

The Holy Spirit is God and is Infinite and was left to be with us to provide enlightenment.

In my opinion, we need direction and guidance and enlightenment now more than ever before.

In my lighter prayer moments, I “suggest” that the Holy Spirit do such things as provide “Ebenezer moments” to some of our political leaders who support abortion, for example. Thus, they may get “dreams” … the same kinds of “dreams” that Ebenezer Scrooge got … with the Ghost of Christmas Past and Christmas Future.

Just visualize how the Holy Spirit could influence our leaders.

And the Holy Spirit is Infinite and can come up with far more interesting “dream experiences”.

I do this with great trepidation and knowing that in the past Jesus, the Second Person of the Blessed Trinity, denied assistance … because the people involved “already had the prophets”. And today we have much much more.

But the Holy Spirit, the Paraclete, was left with us .

So, I offer the suggestion of invoking the Holy Spirit.

On the internet I found these prayers which may be helpful.

catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?s=22

When we do our own wording, we need to be extremely careful and precise … or beg God, the Holy Spirit, to make allowance for our inadequacy.

Invoking the Holy Spirit is an excellent idea.

Mercy for the suffering world

Heavenly Father, please send Your Holy Spirit amongst us for the healing and conversion of this world.

Father, please overcome the agendas of the humanists and leaders who seek systematically to eradicate the teachings and love of Jesus from our societies, replacing Christian festivals with pagan symbols, and banishing Him from public life and schools, from families and societies.

Defeat the lobbying that brings about laws that allow the destruction of multi-millions of your children in the intended safety of their mothers’ wombs. Please empower Your people to strive for the overturning of such laws; and all laws which sin against Your Commandments and gospel teaching.

Please inspire the people of this world with the sanctity of marriage, and unselfishness in relationship. Please eradicate the harm to perceptions of love as promote by all forms of media, as disposable when challenges wear off the gloss of initial attraction.

Father, have mercy on all sufferers in our world, all victims of natural disasters; victims of war; and victims of unjust distribution of wealth and resources.

Reach out through your people to the hungry, to the poorly clad, to the homeless, to those without education, employment or self-respect, to the ill and the handicapped, and to all those in need.

Reach out with the voice, the example and the love of Your people, to feed the spiritually poor and lead them to Your Son, sharing with them the riches of faith, Sacrament, and eternal life.

Heavenly Father, please restore our conscience regarding this world’s resources, as excessive exploitation of natural resources has resulted in decline of animal species, climatic change and proliferation of natural disasters. These consequences threaten the welfare of our planet and its inhabitants.

Father, in Jesus’ name, please restore Your creation; and spread the gospel of Jesus throughout the world.
Father, grant that the Holy Spirit will renew this world.

God-centred

Holy Spirit, as human creatures we respond according to our personalities and experiences. We find it difficult to escape a worldview in which self is central. As Christians, we try to reach beyond self to understand and consider others in our interactions. This is less true of selfish individuals and fundamentalist cultures that impose their own beliefs, needs, and restrictions on others.

It is not essential to be a zealous Christian in order to be just and generous to others. Other religions and humanists also promote these values. The basic precept to “do unto others what you would have them do unto you” is commonsense in human relationships.
Christians may be humbled before the dedicated altruism and self-sacrifice of some humanists. Their generosity may be loftier than ours may be, because they anticipate no heavenly rewards for their sometimes-unrewarding work.

Praise to You, Holy Spirit, where You inspire the good intentions of those who are unaware of You! However, in their desire to benefit some parts of society, some humanists ignore the needs of others. In their efforts to alleviate or cure suffering, their procedures may provide Christians with painful dilemmas. Such procedures include stem cell research, in which embryonic humans are destroyed in order to heal others.

Yet Scripture assures us that everyone is precious, however tiny or handicapped. While respecting the benefits intended by unbelieving humanitarians, as we grieve for the moral or human casualties, we invoke You to redeem the humanism of our age. Humanist values pervade our western societies, building upon and perverting Christian concepts of love of others, to make comfort, health and wealth the keystone of human life.

There is much sadness and conflict in this world. The humanist emphasis in society affects me too because, I find myself heartbroken and discouraged before others’ pain, confusion and struggle. Despite understanding of Gospel truths and of our vocation to love and serve, I am sometimes emotionally puzzled by Your lack of intervention. However I trust in Your love and goodness.

Holy Spirit, we trust in Your love to make our compassion truly God-centred. Let us help others strenuously and lovingly, without causing harm to anyone. Let us love God above all, with whole strength and being, and each other person as passionately as ourselves.

Holy Spirit, enter and transform the thought and responses of all societies and lead the whole world to gospel love and truths.

Amen! Great prayer, Trishie!

“Veni Sanctu Spiritus” is one of my favorite prayers.

Come Holy Spirit fill the hearts of Your faithful, and enkindle in us the fire of love.
Send forth Your spirit and we shall be created, and You shall renew the face of the earth.

O God, Who by the light of the Spirit instructs the hearts of His faithful, grant that by the same Spirit we shall be made truly wise, and ever rejoice in His consolation.

Through Christ our Lord, Amen.

Amen! I love prayers to the Holy Spirit like the “Veni Sanctu Spiritus.”

Act of Consecration to the Holy Spirit

On my knees before the great multitude of heavenly witnesses, I offer myself, soul and body to You, Eternal Spirit of God. I adore the brightness of Your purity, the unerring keenness of Your justice, and the might of Your love. You are the Strength and Light of my soul. In You I live and move and am. I desire never to grieve You by unfaithfulness to grace and I pray with all my heart to be kept from the smallest sin against You. Mercifully guard my every thought and grant that I may always watch for Your light, and listen to Your voice and follow Your gracious inspirations. I cling to You and give myself to You and ask You by Your compassion to watch over me in my weakness. Holding the pierced Feet of Jesus and looking at His Five Wounds and trusting in His Precious Blood and adoring His opened Side and stricken Heart I implore You, Adorable Spirit, Helper of my infirmity, so to keep me in Your grace that I may never sin against You. Give me grace O Holy Spirit, Spirit of the Father and the Son to say to You always and everywhere “Speak Lord for Your servant heareth.” Amen.

Morning Prayer to the Holy Spirit:

Almighty and eternal God, Who at the third hour poured out
Your Holy Spirit in the Apostles, send forth also into us the
same Spirit of Love so that we may faithfully give testimony
to You before all men. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Another Prayer to Receive the Holy Spirit:

O King of glory, send us the Promised of the Father, the Spirit of Truth.
May the Counsellor Who proceeds from You enlighten us and infuse
all truth in us, as You have promised.

O Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, grant that Christ by faith may dwell
in our hearts so that, rooted in charity, we may acknowledge the love
of Christ which surpasses all knowledge.
Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Prayer of St. Augustine

Holy Spirit, powerful Consoler, sacred Bond of the Father and the Son,
Hope of the afflicted, descend into my heart and establish in it Your
loving dominion. Enkindle in my tepid soul the fire of Your Love so that
I may be wholly subject to You.

We believe that when You dwell in us, You also prepare a dwelling for the
Father and the Son. Deign, therefore, to come to me, Consoler of abandoned
souls, Protector of those in need, help the afflicted, strengthen the weak,
support the wavering.

Come and purify me. Suffer no evil desire to take possession of me. You
love the humble and resist the proud. Come to me, glory of the living, hope
of the dying. Lead me by Your grace that I may always be pleasing to You.

Amen.

Prayer of Leo XIII

O Holy Spirit, Creator, generously help the Catholic Church. By your supernatural
power strengthen and confirm her against the assaults of the enemy. By your
Love and grace renew the spirit of Your servants whom You have animated - that
in You they may glorify also the Father and His only Son, our Lord. Amen.

Prayer of St. Pius X

O Holy Spirit of Light and Love, to You I consecrate my mind, heart, and will,
for time and eternity. May I ever be docile to Your divine inspirations and to the
teachings of the Holy Catholic Church whose infallible Guide You are.

May my heart be ever inflamed with the love of God and love of neighbor; may my
will be ever in harmony with Your divine will. May my life faithfully imitate the life
and virtues of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him with the Father and You,
Divine Spirit, be honor and glory forever. Amen.

Prayer for Unbelievers

Holy Spirit, on the first Pentecost, through Your inspiration many were transformed,
becoming adopted children of God and faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. They were
animated by the love of God that is poured into our souls by the Holy Spirit Who is
given to us.

Enlighten the minds of unbelievers, incline their wills to accept the Good News, and
prompt them to be obedient to the Teachers of the Church about whom Christ said:
“He who hears you, hears Me. He who rejects you, rejects me” (Luke 10:16).

Teach them how to pray and prepare their minds and hearts for Your coming into
their souls. Amen.

Prayer of Husband and Wife

O Holy Spirit, Spirit of unity, Love and Goodwill of Father and Son, You have made
us one in the sacred union of marriage. Grant that, like the first Christians, we may
be one heart and one mind.

Make us respect one another, help one another in our striving for holiness, and
support one another. Be our Guide, our Counsellor, and our Consoler. Make us
bear one another’s burdens during our journey to heaven where we hope to live forever
as adopted children of the Triune God. Amen.

Private Prayer before Reconciliation

O Holy Spirit, Eternal Source of Light, dispel the darkness which conceals from me
the malice of my sins. Grant me a lively sense of their enormity. Make me detest
them will all my heart and dread nothing so much as to commit them hereafter.
Holy Spirit, grant me the grace of making an act of Perfect Contrition. Amen.

PRAYER TO THE HOLY SPIRIT
By St. Josemaria Escriva
http://www.opusdei.ph/img/s/2.jpg

Come, O Holy Spirit;
enlighten my understanding
to know your commands;
strengthen my heart
against the wiles of the enemy;
inflame my will...
I have heard your voice,
and I don't want to harden
my heart to resisting,
by saying 'later... tomorrow.'
Nunc coepi! Now!
Lest there be no tomorrow for me!
O, Spirit of truth and wisdom,
Spirit of understanding and counsel,
Spirit of joy and peace!
I want what you want,
I want it because you want it,
I want it as you want it,
I want it when you want it.

A dated post…but one filled with prayer and the Holy Spirit. Yes, I invoke the Holy Spirit to come upon all hearts, not only the faithful. It is the time. I write this in 2016, 7 years after this post. I pray this post will be resurrected. God bless us, Lord have Mercy on us and on the whole world. Amen

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created.
And You shall renew the face of the earth.

Please join in prayer in my topic: Prayers for a Family

For those who can help further the family, besides prayers, please send a private message to me. Thank you.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.

Please join in prayer in my topic: Prayers for a Family

For those who can help further the family, besides prayers, please send a private message to me. Thank you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.