Iowa High School coach is shot, killed at school

Please keep Ed Thomas and his family in your prayers. He is the high school coach in Parkersburg, Iowa, who was shot this morning. I just heard he died.

If the name “Parkersburg” sounds familiar, that is the town in Iowa that was almost wiped off the map a little over a year ago, just before the floods. They’ve done an amazing job of rebuilding in this past year – a real feel-good story.

May Coach Thomas rest in peace. He and his family are in my prayers.

"Coach fatally shot at Iowa high school
Alleged shooter taken into custody; no one else hurt

NBC News and news services
updated 15 minutes ago

DES MOINES, Iowa - A gunman shot and killed a prominent Iowa high school football coach in the school’s weight room early Wednesday and was taken into custody shortly afterward, authorities said.

The gunman shot Aplington-Parkersburg High School coach Ed Thomas at about 8 a.m. with about 50 students in the school, including several in the weight room at the time. School was not in session, and no one else was injured. "…

Entire article here: msnbc.msn.com/id/31525308/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts

:gopray: The Hail Mary

Hail Mary . . . full of grace . . . the Lord is with thee . . . blessed art thou among women . . . and blessed is the Fruit of thy womb . . . Jesus . . . Holy Mary . . . Mother of God . . . pray for us sinners . . . now and at the hour of our death . . . Amen . . .

+
:gopray2:
Lord Have Mercy

*. . . for all those touched by this grave tragedy . . . *

Lord,
have mercy on us
Christ, have mercy on us
Lord,
have mercy on us
Christ, hear us
Christ, graciously hear us

God our Father in Heaven,
have mercy on us
Jesus,
God the Son,
Redeemer of the World,
have mercy on us
God the Holy Spirit,
have mercy on us
Holy Trinity, one God,
have mercy on us

Holy Mary, pray for us
Holy Mother of God, pray for us
Holy Virgin of virgins, pray for us

St. Joseph,
Renowned offspring of David,
Light of Patriarchs, pray for us
Spouse of the Mother of God, pray for us
Chaste guardian of the Virgin, pray for us
Foster father of the Son of God, pray for us
Diligent protector of Christ, pray for us
Head of the Holy Family, pray for us
. . . Amen . . .
[RIGHT]. . . all for Jesus+
. . . thank You Dear Jesus+
. . . thank you Blessed Holy Mother+

:signofcross:[/RIGHT]

i just saw the news story about this killing on Fox. how sad. it sounds like this coach was a great guy and the shooter was a former player - a 24 year old. at least, those were the facts reported on Fox.
evidently, the accused shooter had some run ins with the law over the weekend and psychiatric evaluation was recommended.

this must have been traumatic for the other students in the weight room to witness this murder.

school sure isn’t what it was like when i was going to school in the 50’s and 60’s.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.