Iowa Republican: Obama favors blacks over whites

Was King incorrect in his views? How so?

"Iowa Republican: Obama favors blacks over whites

WASHINGTON – Democrats on Tuesday denounced an Iowa Republican congressman who says President Barack Obama favors blacks over whites, and a GOP candidate from Colorado canceled a fundraiser the Iowan was to keynote."...

Entire article: news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_go_co/us_iowa_congressman_obama

More divisive politics which results in getting nothing done to get America back on track and moving forward.

Of course this is the same politician who supported Iraq War which pushed us to bankruptcy, then voted to NOT pay for it by voting for tax cuts which benifited primarily the wealthiest Americans.

He had voted against employment discrimination

Voted against Pay as You Go rules.

Voted against GI Bill expansion.

Voted against HR4137

Voted against equal pay bill

Voted against HR609 which -Prohibits the creation of a shared national database that tracks students' personal information such as who receives financial aid (Sec. 132).
-Creates financial incentives, grants, and programs for enhancing the quality and preparedness of teachers entering higher education institutions (Sec. 201).
-Calls for an increase in the maximum Pell Grant to $6,000 and also extends the Pell Grant to a year-round program (Sec. 401).
-Reinstates GEAR UP program and TRIO program and also expands the amount of aid given to minority institutions (Secs. 402, 404, 504).
-Calls for an increase in programs that will assist students in Mathematics, Science, and Engineering (Sec. 419).

Voted against Congressional Ethics Bill in 2008

Voted for CAFTA

Voted for us geting out of the WTO which promotes unfair trade practices.

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:1, topic:202022"]

[/quote]

King is incorrect. What is your opinion on his statements, since you ask others?

King mentions Holder who was talking about willingness to speak about race and how folks are reluctant. Holder did not slur white folks as cowards. And then King retreads the Skip Gates incident as some sort of conclusion of bias.

Small beer, indeed.

I think the president got his start by winning the Iowa primary. By pandering to all the black folks there?

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:3, topic:202022"]
King is incorrect. What is your opinion on his statements, since you ask others?

King mentions Holder who was talking about willingness to speak about race and how folks are reluctant. Holder did not slur white folks as cowards. And then King retreads the Skip Gates incident as some sort of conclusion of bias.

Small beer, indeed.

I think the president got his start by winning the Iowa primary. By pandering to all the black folks there?

[/quote]

:D

King is incorrect. What is your opinion on his statements, since you ask others?...

[/quote]

I think King may be correct with his statements below:

"The president has demonstrated that he has a default mechanism in him that breaks down the side of race on the side that favors the black person in the case of professor Gates and officer Crowley."

And:

"When he had an Irish cop and a black professor, who'd he side with?" King said. "He jumped to a conclusion without having heard the facts. And he ended up having to have a beer summit. The President of the United States has got to articulate a mission. And instead, he's playing race-bait games to undermine the law enforcement in the state of Arizona and across the country."

…I think the president got his start by winning the Iowa primary. By pandering to all the black folks there?

[/quote]

That proves folks in Iowa (and the rest of the nation too) do not care about Obama’s race, but it says nothing about what Obama thinks about race. His actions and words do seem to indicate that he favors and supports blacks over whites. The Crowley/Gates incident supports that, as do Obama's own words in his books.

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:5, topic:202022"]

[/quote]

You think that the president favors blacks because he commented on the arrest of a guy he knows? Maybe he favors short professors who use canes, too, I guess?

That one incident is not enough to make such a blanket, uncharitable assessment. I think such a charge is wildly irresponsible and that folks should be more careful when trying to make judgments like that.

In other words, err to the side of caution. Give a person the benefit of a doubt before slamming him or her on this issue, which can be so hurtful. The Iowa guy should shut his mouth.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:6, topic:202022"]
You think that the president favors blacks because he commented on the arrest of a guy he knows? Maybe he favors short professors who use canes, too, I guess?

That one incident is not enough to make such a blanket, uncharitable assessment. I think such a charge is wildly irresponsible and that folks should be more careful when trying to make judgments like that.

In other words, err to the side of caution. Give a person the benefit of a doubt before slamming him or her on this issue, which can be so hurtful. The Iowa guy should shut his mouth.

[/quote]

It is not that one incident that I have in mind in considering that Obama may favor blacks over whites. Obama's own words:

His grandmother "was a typical white person."

This:

“There were enough of us on campus to constitute a tribe, and when it came to hanging out many of us chose to function like a tribe, staying close together, traveling in packs,” he wrote. “It remained necessary to prove which side you were on, to show your loyalty to the black masses, to strike out and name names.”

He added: “To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists.”

And this:

After graduating from college, Obama eventually went to Chicago to interview for a job as a community organizer. His racial attitudes came into play as he sized up the man who would become his boss.

“There was something about him that made me wary,” Obama wrote. “A little too sure of himself, maybe. And white.”

More:

“I ceased to advertise my mother's race at the age of 12 or 13, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites,”

Although Obama spent various portions of his youth living with his white maternal grandfather and Indonesian stepfather, he vowed that he would “never emulate white men and brown men whose fates didn't speak to my own. It was into my father’s image, the black man, son of Africa, that I’d packed all the attributes I sought in myself, the attributes of Martin and Malcolm, DuBois and Mandela.”

More:

Obama wrote that in high school, he and a black friend would sometimes speak disparagingly “about white folks this or white folks that, and I would suddenly remember my mother's smile, and the words that I spoke would seem awkward and false.”

As a result, he concluded that “certain whites could be excluded from the general category of our distrust.”

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:7, topic:202022"]
It is not that one incident that I have in mind in considering that Obama may favor blacks over whites. Obama's own words:

[/quote]

Look, you said you agreed with King's reasonings. That's what this thread is about.

Many people have taken things from the president's books out on context to make inaccurate points, such as his comment on his beloved grandmother. My comment stands -- Tread carefully in this area because it is very harmful to make wild accusations.

Some folks don't worry about that, though.

Democrats on Tuesday denounced an Iowa Republican congressman who says President Barack Obama favors blacks over whites ...

[/quote]

That's so ridiculous. The president is no racist. I mean, when his former pastor Jeremiah Wright would rail against the oppressive white community, Obama would just stand right up and walk out. And when there were accusations of voter intimidation by the new black panthers in Philadelphia, Obama was right there, condemning these guys.

Plus, if he actually did favor blacks over whites, the press would be all over him with accusations of racism. Nobody, the media especially, would ever tolerate favoritism of any one racial group over another, you know.

This King guy, he just says the stupidest things. Next he'll be saying that we don't have enough money for all those good government programs, when everybody *knows that money *comes from the government. Sheesh ....

I've been out of my Mellaril for a few days, guys. And I'm feelin' GREAT ....

Tim

[quote="timotheos, post:9, topic:202022"]
That's so ridiculous. The president is no racist. I mean, when his former pastor Jeremiah Wright would rail against the oppressive white community, Obama would just stand right up and walk out.

[/quote]

Still on Jeremiah Wright, are we? Folks need to change the record.

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:5, topic:202022"]

"The president has demonstrated that he has a default mechanism in him that breaks down the side of race on the side that favors the black person in the case of professor Gates and officer Crowley."

And:

"When he had an Irish cop and a black professor, who'd he side with?" King said. "He jumped to a conclusion without having heard the facts. And he ended up having to have a beer summit. The President of the United States has got to articulate a mission. And instead, he's playing race-bait games to undermine the law enforcement in the state of Arizona and across the country."

That really stupid analogy. it wasnt just a irish cop and a black professor. It was a cop and his friend. The only one who is focuses on race is king. If my friend was involved in a situation like that i too would jump to conclusions and take his side and race has nothing to do with it.

That proves folks in Iowa (and the rest of the nation too) do not care about Obama’s race, but it says nothing about what Obama thinks about race. His actions and words do seem to indicate that he favors and supports blacks over whites. The Crowley/Gates incident supports that, as do Obama's own words in his books.

[/quote]

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:8, topic:202022"]
Look, you said you agreed with King's reasonings. That's what this thread is about.

Many people have taken things from the president's books out on context to make inaccurate points, such as his comment on his beloved grandmother. My comment stands -- Tread carefully in this area because it is very harmful to make wild accusations.

Some folks don't worry about that, though.

[/quote]

What, am I supposed to just forget Obama's own words when considering King's words too? Please.

As far as taking his words out of context, they are what they are and can stand alone. They are his words. They are not being taken out of context and are easy to understand. They are his views on race.

That's so ridiculous. The president is no racist. I mean, when his former pastor Jeremiah Wright would rail against the oppressive white community, Obama would just stand right up and walk out. And when there were accusations of voter intimidation by the new black panthers in Philadelphia, Obama was right there, condemning these guys.

Plus, if he actually did favor blacks over whites, the press would be all over him with accusations of racism. Nobody, the media especially, would ever tolerate favoritism of any one racial group over another, you know.

This King guy, he just says the stupidest things. Next he'll be saying that we don't have enough money for all those good government programs, when everybody *knows that money *comes from the government. Sheesh ....

Tim

[/quote]

Thanks for further examples of behaviors that indicate Obama might favor blacks over whites. I knew there were more. Bottom line, Obama needs to be neutral and balanced, but he is not.

And:

[quote="zara905, post:11, topic:202022"]
That really stupid analogy. it wasnt just a irish cop and a black professor. It was a cop and his friend. The only one who is focuses on race is king. If my friend was involved in a situation like that i too would jump to conclusions and take his side and race has nothing to do with it.

[/quote]

If you are interested, the Gates/Crowley incident was discussed in this thread.

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=359847

You are not the President of the United States with the entire nation, the entire world, watching you. One has to act with a certain decorum when one is the President and not let personal bias be known. Obama apparently did not know that then and still may not know it now, considering he still lacks polish in certain areas. But, that is a subject for yet another thread.

[quote="SwizzleStick, post:13, topic:202022"]
Thanks for further examples of behaviors that indicate Obama might favor blacks over whites. I knew there were more. Bottom line, Obama needs to be neutral and balanced, but he is not.

[/quote]

Actually no. It has been shown on this forum how during the election period snippets from the president's books were taken out of context to give them an entire different meaning.

I think you should concentrate on the point that calling the president biased is not an area to make iffy accusations and such are irresponsible.

Tim

[/quote]

I forgot to add, and it is too late to edit now, but thanks for the humor too!:thumbsup:

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:15, topic:202022"]
Actually no. It has been shown on this forum how during the election period snippets from the president's books were taken out of context to give them an entire different meaning. ...

[/quote]

If you will notice, I'm not trying to give them any meaning or take them out of context at all. I simply quoted Obama's books and listed several instances where his words show his preference. As I already said, Obama's words are what they are and can stand alone. They are his words. They are not being taken out of context and are easy to understand. They are his views on race.

"Iowa Republican: Obama favors blacks over whites

WASHINGTON – Democrats on Tuesday denounced an Iowa Republican congressman who says President Barack Obama favors blacks over whites, and a GOP candidate from Colorado canceled a fundraiser the Iowan was to keynote."...

Entire article: news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_go_co/us_iowa_congressman_obama

[/quote]

Obama's Justice Dept dropping voter intimidation chagres against the New Black Panthers would tend to give credence to his comment. Evidently the US Civil Rights commission is so concerned about this they are demanding more info from the Justice dept.

The news content of this story involves a politician re-stating old charges. Re-masticating some allegations which had been refuted about two years ago moves us no closer to a post-racial America. However, some here are willing to go over old ground with those thin allegations.

I think it is regrettable.

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:19, topic:202022"]
The news content of this story involves a politician re-stating old charges. Re-masticating some allegations which had been refuted about two years ago moves us no closer to a post-racial America. However, some here are willing to go over old ground with those thin allegations.

I think it is regrettable.

[/quote]

Perhaps it is because they have no intelligent argument against the President but to conjour up guilty by association and certain limited text to scare people?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.