IPads and unethical corporate practices

This Christmas I got a Samsung Galaxy Note Pad. I'm not sure what thier practices are, but I know there is almost no such thing as an ethical gadget, what with Foxconn and most electronics being outsourced to sweatshops. I was wondering if I should exchange the Samsung and try to get one that's used so I wouldn't be benefitting first hand by using a sweatshop gadget. What do you guys think?

You should do whatever you think is the right thing to do, but be aware that most, if not all, technology items contain parts that are manufactured in China, to a greater or lesser extent. Unless you're willing to live in a cave, you're not going to be able to avoid products that may have a connection to working practices you're not keen on.

That being said, consider the prevailing social and economic conditions in China before the manufacturing industry explosion in recent years and consider how those 'exploited' workers may actually be better off - in relative terms - compared to how they were before (i.e. labouring in undeveloped agricultural jobs in grinding poverty). Looking at their situation with Western eyes and Western expectations may not necessarily be appropriate.

[quote="Bdonoho, post:1, topic:349275"]
This Christmas I got a Samsung Galaxy Note Pad. I'm not sure what thier practices are, but I know there is almost no such thing as an ethical gadget, what with Foxconn and most electronics being outsourced to sweatshops. I was wondering if I should exchange the Samsung and try to get one that's used so I wouldn't be benefitting first hand by using a sweatshop gadget. What do you guys think?

[/quote]

It is futile and scrupulous to try to live entirely on products that are not manufactured at least partially by unethical means. Don't sweat over it. In fact, if I were you, I wouldn't even bother thinking about it unless you are giving money directly to a bad corporation, such as Starbucks, which supports, vocally, both gay "marriage" and abortion.

If there isn't a blaring reason why you shouldn't boycott something, don't get all worked up over it.

There are far more serious problems in your community that you should be concerned about that those you care about in foreign countries. It seems to me that you have fallen prey to propaganda from groups that have other axes to grind.
With some maturity, hopefully you will learn to discern which is true, even though it may be unfashionable. One way is, if he issue is espoused by a Hollywood or TV personality, BEWARE!!!!

This Christmas I got a Samsung Galaxy Note Pad.

Wow! Someone must think highly of you! What an excellent gift! Wish I had one.
I hope you use it well. It was given with a spirit of love, I'm sure. Be gracious, and if you feel like people in third world countries need help, there are hundreds of charities that you could get involved in. Maybe turn on the ol' Wi-Fi on your new device and start searching! :D

[/quote]

[quote="pianistclare, post:5, topic:349275"]

Wow! Someone must think highly of you! What an excellent gift! Wish I had one.
I hope you use it well. It was given with a spirit of love, I'm sure. Be gracious, and if you feel like people in third world countries need help, there are hundreds of charities that you could get involved in. Maybe turn on the ol' Wi-Fi on your new device and start searching! :D

[/quote]

:thumbsup:

I feel bad for even posting this. I guess I wanted to keep the gadget in spite of the guilt I felt and thought I would ask you guys about it. If someone wants to delete the thread feel free to do so.

:pshaw:

Don't be so hard on yourself.
Don't feel guilty. Was it your intent to inflict heartache on some unknown laborer? no! We're not even sure (as far as I can tell) that poor business practices are in place.

Enjoy your present.
Pray for those that are suffering in any way.
Do your part to be the hands and feet of Christ to all as best as you are able.
Be thankful.
Enjoy the blessings you receive.
Focus on your RCIA classes.
Be at peace.
:blessyou:

Don't let the media guilt you into feeling bad because you live in a first world country and can have nice things. Think about it for a second. Do you know where or how Samsung manufactures their products? Do you know that their factories are sweatshops? Do you know the conditions of the countries in which these products are made, before the factory was there and now? Do you know anything about the above except what is told to you by the media?

Don't feel guilty! You are helping someone in another country earn a living whether or not you, through your Western eyes, think it's a good living.

[/quote]

Well, it's already been purchased, so the damage (if any) is done. I don't see how replacing it with an used one would help -- in both scenarios, two units have been already produced.

If you have any doubts about the practices of company X, then don't give any money to company X, that's all.

I’d disagree here. If you are given a choice between a more expensive product by company X, and a less expensive product by company Y (which is cheaper because company Y mistreats workers), then I’d argue that you should buy from company X.

But, as I said, if someone else buys it and gives it to you as a present, then there’s nothing you can do here anyway, because the damage is done when the product is first purchased. Maybe tell whoever gave you a gift that you disagree with Y’s business practices and they should buy from someone else next time.

[quote="weller2, post:11, topic:349275"]
I'd disagree here. If you are given a choice between a more expensive product by company X, and a less expensive product by company Y (which is cheaper because company Y mistreats workers), then I'd argue that you should buy from company X.

But, as I said, if someone else buys it and gives it to you as a present, then there's nothing you can do here anyway, because the damage is done when the product is first purchased. Maybe tell whoever gave you a gift that you disagree with Y's business practices and they should buy from someone else next time.

[/quote]

But you don't know that company Y's product is cheaper because it mistreats its workers. More than likely, it's cheaper because labor costs in that country are lower then they are in the US. That doesn't mean the company mistreats its workers, even though many in the US believe that low wages are mistreatment of workers.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.