IRA 'has destroyed all its arms'

Some good news for a change:

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/4283444.stm

The IRA has put all of its weapons beyond use, the head of the arms decommissioning body has said.

General John de Chastelain made the announcement at a news conference accompanied by the two churchmen who witnessed the process.

“We are satisfied that the arms decommissioned represent the totality of the IRA’s arsenal.”

Welcoming the move, Prime Minister Tony Blair said IRA decommissioning had been “finally accomplished”.

Mike

Yep, but it’s not good enough for Ian Paisley, it’s good enough for everyone else, but not him.
But I’m glad it’s happening, Ireland has changed a lot in the past 10 years, some for the worst, and some for the better.
We only have the occasional riot now, some habits are hard to get rid of. :slight_smile:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4283444.stm

IRA ‘has destroyed all its arms’

The IRA has put all of its weapons beyond use, the head of the arms decommissioning body has said.

General John de Chastelain made the announcement at a news conference accompanied by the two churchmen who witnessed the process.

“We are satisfied that the arms decommissioned represent the totality of the IRA’s arsenal.” Welcoming the move, Prime Minister Tony Blair said IRA decommissioning had been “finally accomplished”. The general said: "We have observed and verified events to put beyond use very large quantities of arms which we believe include all the arms in the IRA’s possession.

Sorry Mike I didn’t notice your post, so the mods moved my post to add to yours. I pray that they continue to make progress.

[quote=Fitz]Sorry Mike I didn’t notice your post, so the mods moved my post to add to yours. I pray that they continue to make progress.
[/quote]

That’s ok, I expected a greater response, so given the lack of interest, I’m not surprised you missed my post yesterday :slight_smile: No worries.

Mike

[quote=MikeWM]That’s ok, I expected a greater response, so given the lack of interest, I’m not surprised you missed my post yesterday :slight_smile: No worries.

Mike
[/quote]

I doubt it is lack of interest, as much as we have heard it all before. There is a great deal of interest in Ireland in this country. It is not so easy for us to understand. The proof will be in future conduct.

[quote=Fitz]I doubt it is lack of interest, as much as we have heard it all before. There is a great deal of interest in Ireland in this country. It is not so easy for us to understand. The proof will be in future conduct.
[/quote]

True - but this does seem pretty final from the IRA’s side. Ian Paisley isn’t happy, but that’s hardly new.

Mike

[quote=MikeWM]True - but this does seem pretty final from the IRA’s side. Ian Paisley isn’t happy, but that’s hardly new.

Mike
[/quote]

I pray this is true. The last time I went to Ireland, I flew Air Lingus and I read the magazine they handed out on the flight. It included a wonderful travel section from Northern Ireland. I was so very impressed and I really do want to visit the north. However, I don’t want to go into an area of danger. It does not seem worth it to me. I really do hope that terror activities in the North will be a thing of the past.

Do you think that they have been influenced by seeing how terrorists are behaving the world over? Do you think they really don’t view themselves as we view, let’s say El Quida?

[quote=Fitz]I pray this is true. The last time I went to Ireland, I flew Air Lingus and I read the magazine they handed out on the flight. It included a wonderful travel section from Northern Ireland. I was so very impressed and I really do want to visit the north. However, I don’t want to go into an area of danger. It does not seem worth it to me. I really do hope that terror activities in the North will be a thing of the past.
[/quote]

Basically, it is pretty safe now. The remaining violence is mostly between sectarian groups and people trying to adapt to drug dealing rather than terrorism. Innocents don’t really get caught up anymore, thankfully.

Do you think that they have been influenced by seeing how terrorists are behaving the world over? Do you think they really don’t view themselves as we view, let’s say El Quida?

I don’t especially think they would want to be in the same boat, but I think the credit really goes to the behind-the-scenes work. I won’t say this often (!), but both John Major and Tony Blair have done wonderful work in pushing this apparently impossible problem in the right direction towards a solution.

Mike

Yeah, there is always a lot of behind the scenes things we never hear about. It is rare that a leader in the Western world is either all good or all bad. I am certain there could be many things you would congratulate Tony Blair and John Major on.

[quote=Fitz]Yeah, there is always a lot of behind the scenes things we never hear about. It is rare that a leader in the Western world is either all good or all bad. I am certain there could be many things you would congratulate Tony Blair and John Major on.
[/quote]

Oh, absolutely, both of them. All I meant by my comment is that there aren’t all that many specific policies that I can say both tried out, and both did a wonderful job with them, despite all the setbacks :slight_smile:

Mike

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.