Iran- are we going in?

U.S. propaganda machine on “nuclear” Iran heating up

According to analysts and media reports, American military assets are in place for a joint U.S./Israeli attack on Tehran.
This attack, the Bush administration and its neo-con string pullers believe, will trigger a coup by “freedom-loving moderates” inside the country, thus freeing the population from the grips of the clerics. The belief is that the grateful moderates will then align themselves with Uncle Sam, “embrace democracy” and reserve their oil for the exclusive use of the United States.

One of the main hurdles is how to convince the American people that this attack is justified, something which the PR machine has already begun to do.

Right wing radio, television, and even the main stream media are now referring to the "Iran Nuclear Crisis’ every chance they get. While a new book penned by Jerome Corsi has come out claiming that Tehran has already acquired a nuclear weapon of mass destruction and is planning on detonating its 150 kilotons in downtown Manhattan.

Already the propaganda is being spewed forth with references to Neville Chamberlain at Munich and appeasing Adolph Hitler while supporting the boys at the front. Tehran is being characterised as a nuclear loose cannon in the vein of Saddam Hussein, ready to lash out with nuclear Armageddon on a helpless Israel and American liberators and its allies in the now-democratic Iraq.

Anyone who opposes this model will be condemned as a traitor and coward with no stomach to defend his country while appeasing the tyrants by chewing on French fries (as opposed to Freedom Fries).

No reason is ever discussed or revealed as to why Iran would launch an attack on the U.S. or Israel, other than some vague reference to the fact that they “hate freedom and democracy”.

No one ever mentions that the Israelis are a major nuclear power and threat in their own right. The fact that Tehran is allegedly pursuing its nuclear program to counter the Israelis and responding to an American occupation army just across its border is not seen as a reason to arm.

All part of the “New World Order” coming to you soon.

Did anyone mention oil?

[quote=FightingFat]U.S. propaganda machine on “nuclear” Iran heating up

According to analysts and media reports, American military assets are in place for a joint U.S./Israeli attack on Tehran.
[/quote]

I have seen no such analysis.

This report by the way, is from our friends at al-Jazeera. I’ll wait for a more reliable report thank you.

aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/review/article_full_story.asp?service_id=8463

Pretty scarey. Most people seem to think that invading Iran would be far more dangerous than was an Iraq already half starved into submission.

Also I haven’t heard much large scale demonization of any individual Iranians, ‘Fred is the new Hitler’, ‘We’re going in to Get Fred!’ etc, so it may be further off than some supposse.

I think George Bush knows who butters his toast though…:wink:

George Bush at the wailing wall, Jerusalem.

Is this bull droppings?
Good thing nukes are difficult to build. Imagine the trouble we’d be in otherwise.

[quote=Mijoy2]Is this bull droppings?
Good thing nukes are difficult to build. Imagine the trouble we’d be in otherwise.
[/quote]

Therein lays the problem, nukes are actually very easy to build. Getting hold of fisionable material is just a little harder. (but not much nowadays).

[quote=walstan]Therein lays the problem, nukes are actually very easy to build. Getting hold of fisionable material is just a little harder. (but not much nowadays).
[/quote]

And Iran has them.

Personally, I don’t think they are stupid enough to give them to terrorists (of course the terrorists could steal them). We know they want the weapons badly.

Iran, IMHO, is going for nukes for defensive purposes. We have shown them that we don’t invade countries with nukes. And I really think they see that as a good possibility (and I can’t blaim them).

Well, the next country Mr. Bush endangers to “free”?
His “freedom activities” always cost a lot of human lives, primarily people of the freed country.
Wouldn’t it be a good decision to free penguins in Antarctica?

[quote=gilliam] And Iran has them.

Personally, I don’t think they are stupid enough to give them to terrorists (of course the terrorists could steal them). We know they want the weapons badly.

Iran, IMHO, is going for nukes for defensive purposes. We have shown them that we don’t invade countries with nukes. And I really think they see that as a good possibility (and I can’t blaim them).
[/quote]

I think they would have a better chance stealing them from the US than anywhere else. Do you remember the scathing report that came out last year about the lack of security at the DOE nuclear facilities?

[quote=wabrams]I think they would have a better chance stealing them from the US than anywhere else. Do you remember the scathing report that came out last year about the lack of security at the DOE nuclear facilities?
[/quote]

Add this one too it:

High risk U.S. plutonium transport arrives in Normandy from south of France

Paris, 15 March 2005 - A cargo of 140 kilograms of U.S. weapons-grade plutonium (1) has completed the first leg of its controversial journey from France to the U.S. The armed convoy left the Areva plutonium fuel factory at Marcoule, north of Avignon, between Monday night and Tuesday morning. It travelled around 1000 kilometres over land to Areva’s la Hague plutonium complex in Normandy and arrived early in the night of 15 March. The nuclear cargo will be repackaged and taken in the coming days to Cherbourg for onward sea transport to the U.S. port of Charleston.

Greenpeace activists tracked the transport as it neared la Hague, to alert the public and local authorities to the safety and security risk it presents and to voice opposition to the proliferation threat posed by such trade in nuclear weapons materials. The convoy travelled over major French highways without adequate protection and packaging, according to Greenpeace, and will also present a risk when at sea.

A new report by a U.S. nuclear security expert has concluded that the transportation last October of U.S. plutonium in France was at “high” risk from terrorist attack, with inadequate security protection. French transports of plutonium are also assessed in the report, with the conclusion that there is currently no effective security applied, and the level of risk is categorized as “extreme.”

Camplacency? Arrogance? or just good old bad management?

The idea was to use the fuel at a generating station. At the last minute, the regulators decided that something wasn’t quite right at the generating plant, so now the stuff just sits - and it’s less than a hundred miles from me. :bigyikes:

I wouldn’t trust anything Greenpeace has to say.

But that wouldn’t fit his anti-American propaganda.

[quote=gilliam]I have seen no such analysis.

This report by the way, is from our friends at al-Jazeera. I’ll wait for a more reliable report thank you.

aljazeera.com/cgi-bin/review/article_full_story.asp?service_id=8463
[/quote]

I don’t know. Iran continues to make noise about building the Bomb. Their government has never been known for its grasp on reality.

The American people will not approve of an invasion of Iran unless Iran does something to attack the United States. Bush’s credibility is down the tubes when one considers Iraq and WMD. For what it’s worth, I always believed Saddam had chemical weapons stockpiles, since the Gulf War in 1991.

I hope that the Iranian people find a way to get rid of their government withough military intervention from anyone.

Germany didn’t mind it when America freed her huh? Besides, 25+ million Iraquois would disagree with ya.

[quote=Axel99]Well, the next country Mr. Bush endangers to “free”?
His “freedom activities” always cost a lot of human lives, primarily people of the freed country.
[/quote]

[quote=judicame]I think George Bush knows who butters his toast though…:wink:

George Bush at the wailing wall, Jerusalem.

[/quote]

It’s all the fault of the Jooz!

– Mark L. Chance.

We won’t be going in, and the Israeli’s can’t get to the nuclear components, even with our bunker busters because they are in too many sites, buried too deeply.

The Europeans are having no luck with their “let’s just ask them nicely to stop.” The approach that might work is economic sanctions vs Iran, but I doubt the Europeans would go along with that.
Bush and Blair get a lot of flak for going into Iraq, but that’s just one front in a wider war (WWIV) against Islamic fascism. It’s hard to fight a WW when so much of the world doesn’t seem to be aware that it’s happening.

[/quote]

It always costs a lot of humans lives to free people. read a history book written before the 60s or the old testament. Get a grip.

[quote=mlchance]It’s all the fault of the Jooz!

– Mark L. Chance.
[/quote]

It rather looks like George Bush might agree with you there! :slight_smile:

And who’s that peeping through from the deep background of the photograph, in the beard and shades disguise combo? Could it be the international playboy, Bush family friend and ‘former’ CIA asset turned teevee personality Ossama Bin Laden? They seek him here, they seek him there…

[/quote]

Good idea! You’re either with us or you’re with the terrorists, and those penguins are a cliquey bunch. The female penguins are obviously oppressed; they just don’t realize it yet. Thankfully Gloria Penguinsteinam, a highly superior sort of penguin, is there to demand their rights.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.