Iran-backed Shia militia says it will fight US Marines deployed to Iraq

One of the deadliest Iranian-backed militias in Iraq has threatened to attack US troops deployed fighting the Islamic State (Isil) and “deal” with them as occupying forces.
The Asaib Ahl al-Haq militia, known as the League of the Righteous, issued the warning after it emerged the US has deployed several hundred marines to aid Iraqi forces as they try to retake Mosul. telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/12200172/Iran-backed-Shia-militia-says-it-will-fight-US-Marines-deployed-to-Iraq.html

Sounds like we could be heading for another situation where you can't tell who's fighting who without a program.

This has always been true. It’s nothing new. Americans in Iraq fought against Iranian-backed Shia forces as well as radical Sunni forces.

Someday soon it will be asked - “WHO LET THE DOGS OUT”!!! There won’t be any more squeaky vermin threatening the USA.

The “League of the Righteous?” Hmm. There’s nothing more righteous than the United States Marines.

Another reason why getting involved with the conflicts in the Middle East was a horrible idea.

Jim

Honest question-do you not think they eventually wouldn’t come to us? I know one can debate the wisdom of being proactive versus passive, but do you think they wouldn’t come to us eventually?

Yes, Iran and Syria too, have been and were a thorn in the sides of the US action in Iraq; that is fairly well proven.

General Soleimani seems to be known for this; one may research it themselves.

No and even if they did, we’d then have the justification to defend ourselves and they could never beat us.

However, as Ronald Reagan wrote in his diary after he pulled the Marines out off Beruit, “The United States must never be drawn into a war in the Middle East.”

H.W. Bush should’ve followed this wisdom and certainly his son should have not go into Afghanistan or Iraq.

Jim

I remember a cartoon from 1983 or so, where a Marine officer was at a blackboard addressing his troops and explaining who they might be fighting in Lebanon. As you can imagine the possibilities just went on and on.

Going to fight in the Middle East is like going further into an alligator & Mosquitos infested swamp over your head to save what you think could be a Drowning baby Alligator ,

Thanks. I’m curious why you don’t think they’d come to us? That might be too far abreast of the topic. It is puzzling to me, though.

Because one, they don’t have the capability and two, they really aren’t out to conquer the USA.

For the most part, they’re just trying to survive in their own land.

Jim

You think that, by and large, they don’t have any motivation to conquer. You don’t think they want to convert the world to Islam? Why do you think that?

Some do, most don’t.

Jim

I think it depends where you are. In the beginning of Islam, most did. Do you think this has changed, or that it isn’t latent in the theology? I’m just intrigued. See, I’m comparing them, as religious people, with myself. I think the world should be Christian. (Not by conquering though.) I guess I think that people who passionately believe they have the truth want to share that truth with others, especially if they feel a sense of divine duty.

TCEL;13766171

I think it depends where you are. In the beginning of Islam, most did.

And there was a time when Christians thought it was their duty to convert the world too.

Do you think this has changed, or that it isn’t latent in the theology?

Yes, most Muslims have no desire to convert the world to Islam. They’d like to see people convert, just as we Christians like to see people convert, but they have no desire to force conversions.

I’m just intrigued. See, I’m comparing them, as religious people, with myself. I think the world should be Christian. (Not by conquering though.) I guess I think that people who passionately believe they have the truth want to share that truth with others, especially if they feel a sense of divine duty.

Most Muslims are like Most Christians. They identify with the name only and they are mostly secular when it comes to their religious ideologies.

Jim

Iran clearly is implicated in a number of proxy wars in the region including Yemen.

Those are two points I am driving at. I think where we differ is that I think it a mistake to underestimate that sense of duty.

The percentage of those who are basically radicalized or support radicalization comes out from time to time.

Heaven forbid some action from Israel in all of this, the one who feels the threat from Iran the most.

Should have never gone into Iraq on a phony trump up charge of WMD to intervene between a civil war between Shia & Sunni. There is no excuse for stupid policy makers - so called intellectual eggheads- not to have known the historical background of that region and the ramifications on intervention. Saddam was a hedge against Iran (Shia) expansion after fighting a 10 year war. Al-qaeda was in Afganisztan not Iraq. When Mahmoud Ahmadinejad president 2005-13 assumed the Iranian presidency, he stated his purpose was to usher in the 12th imam, The Shia Messiah that will rule the entire world with Islam.

Hezbollah rule Lebanon, Iranians are in Yemen, Gaza, and Syria surrounding Sunni dominated Saudi Arabia. Turkey fearing the weakness of the West has turned secular Turkey into conservative Islam becoming more autocratic and less democractic. He believes in Sunni expansion comparable to Ottomon and is quite concern with the crack down on ISIS. This is why he has allowed tens of thousands of figthers from the EU to flow into Syria/Iraq and has allowed millions of Islamic refugees to flow into the EU.

The taxpayers have sent billions of dollars of military to Iraq army. They trained the Iraq army for years, yet at the first sign of fighting, flee the battlefield leaving U.S. supplying ISIS. Now we are spending billions of dollars fighting ISIS.

In Afganisztan and Iraq we spend billions equiping and training military for years but they cannot fight against the Taliban. It only take a few weeks for the Taliban to train their fighters into capable fighters so why the disparity. You can’t fight an ideology with bombs and fighters. So ISIS is spreading like a cancer throughout the world.

So now you are going to have a civil war in Iraq or a complete take over by Iran of Iraq.

Fears in Iraqi government, army over Shiite militias’ power
AP

These militias, many of them backed by Iran, mobilized in 2014 to fight Sunni extremists from the Islamic State group. However, they are now showing no intention of standing down after the battle, demanding instead to be a major force shaping Iraq. That prospect worries not only Iraq’s Sunni minority but also officials in the military and the Shiite-led government, who fear the militias will dominate Iraq the way the Revolutionary Guard does Iran and the guerrilla group Hezbollah does Lebanon.

Anyone could have seen this coming a mile away except the Defense dept…stupid, stupid

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.