Iran calls US doll, 'destructive'

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080428/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iran_barbie_dolls

TEHRAN, Iran - A top Iranian judiciary official warned Monday against the “destructive” cultural and social consequences of importing Barbie dolls and other Western toys.

In the latest salvo in a more than decade-old government campaign against Barbie, Prosecutor General Ghorban Ali Dori Najafabadi said in an official letter to Vice President Parviz Davoudi that the doll and other Western toys are a “danger” that need to be stopped.

“The irregular importation of such toys, which unfortunately arrive through unofficial sources and smuggling, is destructive culturally and a social danger,” said the letter, a copy of which was made available to The Associated Press.

I read this and I thought, people think that Iran is the enemy, they sound pretty conservative to me. They don’t their people to dress like Britney Spears and have their young girls look like prostitutes. What is wrong with that? I know some people will just look at this story and think ‘look they are at it again, they are so extreme, how can a doll make girls immoral’ then I ask you how do other parts of the secular media that we live in and around: movies, video games, and/or music not influence people? If you look at the growing secularism and individualism of America alone, people don’t have to look far to find where and how the media of materialism and the lack of morals have shaped the country and it’s youth.

By the way as a side note here’s the bio of the creator of Barbie…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruth_Handler

Its just pathetic, the way those people have to live. Living in fear of Barbie dolls! But they love to take pictures of their children posing with
AK-47’s and bomb-vests… Roanoker

I like the modesty of the Muslim culture.

Ruth Handler was Jewish while the original “Barbie” doll was a German doll she it modeled after and she became president of Mattel. Marketed in 1959, she named the dolls after her children.

The CEO of the Bratz dolls is Isacc Larian who was born in Iran to Persian Jewish parents and two of the dolls are names after his children.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaac_Larian

Um those photos you refer to are NOT Iran! Then again to people like you the formula is always “brown=bad”

Yeah, I knew the racist thing was coming. You miss the entire point…Roanoker

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.