Iran passes a law allowing men to marry their 13-year-old adopted daughters just as the country's new president touts himself as a moderate

Iran passes a law allowing men to marry their 13-year-old adopted daughters just as the country’s new president touts himself as a moderate

**A new law in Iran that allows men to marry their adopted daughters at the age of 13 has caused major concern that the country’s new president is not as progressive as originally thought. **

President Hassan Rouhani has been hailed as a new moderate voice in the controversial Middle Eastern government but the approval of the new law shows that the extreme beliefs in the intolerant country have not evaporated.

The law was approved by the Iranian members of parliament and maintains that girls can marry with the permission of their father at the age of 13 and young boys at the age of 15…

‘This bill is legalizing pedophilia,’ lawyer Shadi Sadr, who works for the group Justice for Iran, told the paper.

‘It’s not part of the Iranian culture to marry your adopted child. Obviously incest exists in Iran more or less as it happens in other countries across the world, but this bill is legalizing pedophilia and is endangering our children and normalizing this crime in our culture.’

Iranian officials argue that the question of fathers marrying their adopted daughters comes out of practicality since adopted girls are forced to wear a hijab around their fathers and mothers must wear it around their adopted sons.

Ms Sadr argues that it is just a legislative ploy to get around the normal bounds of a paternal relationship- with the sexual aspect of a marriage still in full play even though it is being publicly downplayed.

‘With this bill, you can be a pedophile and get your bait in the pretext of adopting children,’ she said

Read more: dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442270/Iran-passes-marriage-law-allowing-men-wed-13-year-old-adopted-daughters.html#ixzz2gg1xQ3fM

Maybe this is what Iranian progressivism looks like. As the quote said, this is not a traditional part of Iranian culture, so it does not sound like a conservative measure. Why should progressives in different countries necessarily fight for exactly the same sexual perversions? I imagine when Iranians hear about homosexual marriage and such things in the West they respond with a similar disgust.

The Religion of Peace never fails to deliver does it

What 13 year-old adopted daughter doesn’t dream of bearing her adoptive father’s children, right? Until I heard about this law, I thought Iran had, at long last, a reasonable and mentally balanced human being leading her. Boy was i wrong.

Honestly, I think it’s the president under pressure from more conservative legislators. Same thing happens in the United States when Democratic governors have Republican legislatures or vice versa.

The law is still appalling, though.

It won’t have a rational actor and balanced human being as its leader until it drops the clerical autocracy currently in power. The president is not the Head of State in Iran. The Supreme Leader is. He has almost absolute power because it is believed that he sits accountable only to God and not the will of his people.

The 1979 constitution gives the Ayatollah full judicial and executive powers. He has direct command over the Revolutionary Guards (who in turn control much of Iranian business and assets), the Basij; he has complete power to disqualify any presidential candidate that he wishes and to rig elections that don’t match up to what he wants, as happened in 2009. The Iranian electoral system only allows citizens to vote for candidates vetted by the Guardian Council. The Supreme Leader is not elected by the people. He is appointed by other clerics.

The court system is likewise adjudicated and run by clergy.

Therefore a change of ‘presidency’ in Iran doesn’t mean the same as it would in America. For actual “moderation”, one needs a change in the Supreme Leader indeed one needs rid of him altogether.

One of these days, they will drop the Ayatollah as the head of power in that country. Then and only then will Iran move forward as a moderate Islamic nation.

There is apparently a misunderstanding about what this law is. The law only changes the legal marrying age to 13 for girls and 15 for boys so long as they have the consent of their father. The law does not say anything about fathers literally marrying their children, but marrying their children in the sense that they are consenting to a marriage between their children and a third-party. I also think think the uproar and accusations of pedophilia over this are a little ridiculous considering that these ages are identical or similar to the age of consent in most of continental Europe.

Did you read the article? I ask because it is pretty clear, what with references from Iranians to pedophilia and incest, that it does mean that men can marry girls they have adopted when the girls turn 13.

The law in question pertains to the legal marriage age, but the concern about incest is an additional factor for human rights advocates.

‘This bill is legalizing pedophilia,’ lawyer Shadi Sadr, who works for the group Justice for Iran, told the paper.

‘It’s not part of the Iranian culture to marry your adopted child. Obviously incest exists in Iran more or less as it happens in other countries across the world, but this bill is legalizing pedophilia and is endangering our children and normalizing this crime in our culture.’

agreed

Not to mention what’s going on in Utah under everyone’s noses.

Using your quote:

“The law in question pertains to the legal marriage age, but the concern about incest is an additional factor for human rights advocates.”

The law only addresses the legal marrying age. References to incest and other such nonsense are external to the law.

From the article: Ms Sadr argues that it is just a legislative ploy to get around the normal bounds of a paternal relationship- with the sexual aspect of a marriage still in full play even though it is being publicly downplayed.
‘With this bill, you can be a pedophile and get your bait in the pretext of adopting children,’ she said.

Its a ridiculous notion that isn’t supported with any facts. The law does not legalize pedophilia. The law does not legalize incest. The truth of the matter is that it only establishes the legal age as the same as it is in most of Europe and its still higher than several African nations, the Philippines, Mexico, etc. and up until a few months ago…Vatican City (changed in July by Pope Francis from 12 to 18).

I think people need to stop looking at these things with such cultural bias. It wasn’t, historically, that long ago in the west that if you weren’t married with children by 14 people thought you’d be an old maid.

Quote from the article:

Iranian officials argue that the question of fathers marrying their adopted daughters comes out of practicality since adopted girls are forced to wear a hijab around their fathers and mothers must wear it around their adopted sons.

Ms Sadr argues that it is just a legislative ploy to get around the normal bounds of a paternal relationship- with the sexual aspect of a marriage still in full play even though it is being publicly downplayed.

‘With this bill, you can be a pedophile and get your bait in the pretext of adopting children,’ she said.

The article actually broaches the subject of adopting children as a pretext, citing Iranian officials and lawyer Shadi Sadr.

Its sensationalist reporting. The law does not legalize incest nor does it legalize pedophilia. Both are still punishable by death in Iran. Again, all the law does is change the legal age for marriage with the consent of the father. A handful of people are concerned that a microscopic fraction of society might try to create a loophole in anti-incest and anti-pedophilia law by adopting 13 year olds and giving themselves and their children consent to marry them (though sex at 13 is not considered pedophilia in many countries).

Why 13 and not 9?

According to statistics, it’s unsafe for 13 year olds to give birth, so this leads me to the question of why the age 13 is of any significance in the Muslim world. Perhaps it’s because Islamists use Mohammed’s life as a template for societal structure rather than modern medicine. This is a problem in my view, because through my studies, I’ve come to the conclusion that the “prophet” Mohammed was actually a sufferer of bipolar disorder. It seems to me that Islamism is riddled with medical issues and that something needs to be done to draw light to this issue.

Islamists, in my opinion, follow the path of mental illness as the norm, and need to be counseled on a global scale if famine, death and tyranny in those societies are ever expected to be confronted.

The Quran is interpreted as considering a girl to be of marrying age once they reach puberty; generally accepted to be 13.

How filthy.

That is a cultural bias.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.