Iran says warships headed close to us borders

TEHRAN, Iran (AP) – Iranian warships dispatched to the Atlantic Ocean will travel close to U.S. maritime borders for the first time, a senior Iranian naval commander said Saturday.

The commander of Iran’s Northern Navy Fleet, Admiral Afshin Rezayee Haddad, said the vessels have already entered the Atlantic Ocean via waters near South Africa, the official IRNA news agency reported.

The fleet, consisting of a destroyer and a helicopter-carrying supply ship, began its voyage last month from the southern Iranian port city of Bandar Abbas. The ships, carrying some 30 navy academy cadets for training along with their regular crews, are on a three-month mission.

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/ML_IRAN_US_NAVY?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2014-02-08-10-14-18

2 boats is a “fleet”?

They may carry lifeboats too, which they will need if they want to pick a fight with the US Navy or Coast Guard.

I hope the cadets have a nice cruise and return home safely.

The two ships seem to be the Sabalan and the Kharg. Both ships are some 40 years old and are based upon a 1960s British design. Their weapons systems have been modernized, though.

Here is some background on the Kharg:
globalsecurity.org/military/world/iran/kharg-ao.htm

And a bit of information about the Sabalan:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvand_class_frigate

Here are the 2 ships:

logistic helicopter carrier Khark,

The Kharg is a modified Ol-class replenishment oiler
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_ship_Kharg

The other ship is technically the frigate Sabalan:

She carries 4 x C-802 anti-ship missiles

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_frigate_Sabalan

Well, the Iranian Navy has as much right to sail the high seas as that of any other nation.

Really, I’m not too worried about a “destroyer and a helicopter-carrying supply ship” (according to the linked story) sailing in international waters.

2 boat fleet LOL. I guarantee you they are being tracked already. They won’t come too close.

Wait till the Chinese Armada turns up and tell’s the US “You have maneuvers close to us”.

Apparently the Japanese weren’t overly concerned by the Enola Gay, either. In this day, a massivefleet isn’t required to deliver a WMD. If your delivery vehicles don’t work well enough, then just get yourself in range by another means. I hope our military does keep a serious eye on them.

Here is a video of the frigate it is in Persian but gives you an idea of the size of the ship
youtube.com/watch?v=x_HfkWokQcc

In the video it looks like a reporter who knows little to nothing about ships is given a tour and shown some knots (using a frayed nylon line…)

By the way, we nearly sunk this frigate in 1988.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iranian_frigate_Sabalan#Service_history

No, they are definitely keeping an eye on them.

I hope no international incidents happen as a result of this. May God keep us all safe.

Maybe they will wander into the Bermuda Triangle and disappear.

I love Iran.

lol. That works too.

Good one:thumbsup:

Well you have the Pinta and the Nina but what, not even a Santa Maria?:shrug:

Iran doesn’t have a WMD and even if they did it’d just be for posturing and leverage, not for actual use unless they were attacked.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.