Iranian official on nuke deal: 'We did not agree to dismantle anything'

[LEFT](CNN) – Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif insisted Wednesday that the Obama administration mischaracterizes concessions by his side in the six-month nuclear deal with Iran, telling CNN in an exclusive interview that “we did not agree to dismantle anything.”[/LEFT]

[LEFT]Zarif told CNN Chief National Security Correspondent Jim Sciutto that terminology used by the White House to describe the agreement differed from the text agreed to by Iran and the other countries in the talks – the United States, Britain, France, Russia, China and Germany.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]“The White House version both underplays the concessions and overplays Iranian commitments” under the agreement that took effect Monday, Zarif said in Davos, Switzerland, where he was attending the World Economic Forum.

[LEFT]“The White House tries to portray it as basically a dismantling of Iran’s nuclear program. That is the word they use time and again,” he said, urging Sciutto to read the actual text of the agreement. “If you find a single, a single word, that even closely resembles dismantling or could be defined as dismantling in the entire text, then I would take back my comment.”[/LEFT][/LEFT]

cnn.com/2014/01/22/politics/iran-us-nuclear/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

ok, this makes more sense. i couldn’t believe they were agreeing to anything. how did that false story get started??!!

They did agree to stuff and did make concessions however to claim they are dismantling their entire program is false. While this is a rather weak deal it is more progress than has been achieved in the past decade. This agreement was carefully constructed so both parties could go home and say that the deal represents them winning so that it will be accepted in their country. Hopefully this is merely the beginning of progress.

closed #4

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.