Iraq Chaldean patriarch says US strikes offer little hope

From the AFP:
Iraq’s most prominent Christian cleric voiced his disappointment Sunday at the scope of U.S. intervention, which he said offered little hope that jihadists would be defeated and displaced people could go home.

“The position of the American president Obama only to give military assistance to protect Erbil is disappointing,” Chaldean Patriarch Louis Sako wrote in an open letter.

(snip)

The patriarch described the prospect of having to wait for Iraqi government forces to start fighting alongside the peshmerga as “very depressing.”

While I’m glad that Obama is finally doing something, it is very interesting that there has been a genocide of Christians going on for months and months with no interest from the US Government. It took the pogrom against the Yazidis to force him into taking action.

I sure am glad that he supported the Al Qaeda aligned rebels in Syria (who then morphed into ISIS).

Conspiracy theory?

Reuters (Aug 2012): Obama authorizes secret support for Syrian rebels

A U.S. government source acknowledged that under provisions of the presidential finding, the United States was collaborating with a secret command center operated by Turkey and its allies.

Last week, Reuters reported that, along with Saudi Arabia and Qatar, Turkey had established a secret base near the Syrian border to help direct vital military and communications support to Assad’s opponents.

This “nerve center” is in Adana, a city in southern Turkey about 60 miles from the Syrian border, which is also home to Incirlik, a U.S. air base where U.S. military and intelligence agencies maintain a substantial presence.

(snip)

Recent news reports from the region have suggested that the influence and numbers of Islamist militants, some of them connected to al Qaeda or its affiliates, have been growing among Assad’s opponents.

New York Times (Oct 2012): Rebel Arms Flow Is Said to Benefit Jihadists in Syria

Most of the arms shipped at the behest of Saudi Arabia and Qatar to supply Syrian rebel groups fighting the government of Bashar al-Assad are going to hard-line Islamic jihadists, and not the more secular opposition groups that the West wants to bolster, according to American officials and Middle Eastern diplomats.

That conclusion, of which President Obama and other senior officials are aware from classified assessments of the Syrian conflict that has now claimed more than 25,000 lives, casts into doubt whether the White House’s strategy of minimal and indirect intervention in the Syrian conflict is accomplishing its intended purpose of helping a democratic-minded opposition topple an oppressive government, or is instead sowing the seeds of future insurgencies hostile to the United States.

“The opposition groups that are receiving the most of the lethal aid are exactly the ones we don’t want to have it,” said one American official familiar with the outlines of those findings, commenting on an operation that in American eyes has increasingly gone awry.

The United States is not sending arms directly to the Syrian opposition. Instead, it is providing intelligence and other support for shipments of secondhand light weapons like rifles and grenades into Syria, mainly orchestrated from Saudi Arabia and Qatar. The reports indicate that the shipments organized from Qatar, in particular, are largely going to hard-line Islamists.

That policy of arming the “rebels” through third party proxies would eventually change. See below:

Washington Examiner (Sep 2013): Obama waives ban on arming terrorists to allow aid to Syrian opposition

President Obama waived a provision of federal law designed to prevent the supply of arms to terrorist groups to clear the way for the U.S. to provide military assistance to “vetted” opposition groups fighting Syrian dictator Bashar Assad.

Some elements of the Syrian opposition are associated with radical Islamic terrorist groups, including al Qaeda, which was responsible for the Sept. 11 attacks in New York, Washington, D.C., and Shanksville, Pa., in 2001. Assad’s regime is backed by Iran and Hezbollah.

(There’s plenty more sources if you care to look for them, but this post is long enough)

Bottom line is that I sure am glad that the feckless Obama administration has, I think, finally figured out that they weren’t exactly supporting the “good guys”.

He also supplied the Libyan rebels, about whom we apparently knew *nothing *except that they were against the established order… While I can’t say Kaddafi was a good guy, at least he had turned in a lot of his WMDs after we went into Iraq.

Kaddafi persecuted Christians. He turned the cathedral in the capital into a Mosque.

‘It is death valley. Up to 70 per cent of them are dead’

Mount Sinjar stinks of death. The few Yazidis who have managed to escape its clutches can tell you why. “Dogs were eating the bodies of the dead,” said Haji Khedev Haydev, 65, who ran through the lines of Islamic State jihadists surrounding it.

On Sunday night, I became the first western journalist to reach the mountains where tens of thousands of Yazidis, a previously obscure Middle Eastern sect, have been taking refuge from the Islamic State forces that seized their largest town, Sinjar.
I was on board an Iraqi Army helicopter, and watched as hundreds of refugees ran towards it to receive one of the few deliveries of aid to make it to the mountain. The helicopter dropped water and food from its open gun bays to them as they waited below. General Ahmed Ithwany, who led the mission, told me: “It is death valley. Up to 70 per cent of them are dead.”

Two American aid flights have also made it to the mountain, where they have dropped off more than 36,000 meals and 7,000 gallons of drinking water to help the refugees, and last night two RAF C-130 transport planes were also on the way.

However, Iraqi officials said that much of the US aid had been “useless” because it was dropped from 15,000ft without parachutes and exploded on impact.

telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11024037/Iraq-crisis-It-is-death-valley.-Up-to-70-per-cent-of-them-are-dead.html

Like i said, he’s not a good guy. i just think that handing weapons over to “rebels” about whom we know nothing is unwise.

That is true

I don’t think there is enough attention paid to the persecuted Christian’s, nor in the media, and the story is convoluted in its reporting of the Christians and Muslims genocide.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CB8QqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.usatoday.com%2Fstory%2Fopinion%2F2014%2F08%2F12%2Firaq-christians-minority-genocide-obama-inattention-silence-humanitarian-aid-column%2F13975293%2F&ei=Re_qU_-lHpakyAS3r4LgDA&usg=AFQjCNEJ3_LFdfh2Q0q6ByKkum4NSg5zkQ&bvm=bv.72938740,d.aWw

It’s starting to seem as if the Obama White House operates on a time delay. In the case of Iraq’s religious minorities, the results have been deadly.

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCMQqQIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gospelherald.com%2Farticles%2F52147%2F20140808%2Fchristians-protests-obamas-lack-concern-religious-minorities-persecuted-isis.htm&ei=Re_qU_-lHpakyAS3r4LgDA&usg=AFQjCNHSYxiB5w_rWG5pc65TStffr_EBug

“The world, and much less the United Nations, cannot stand by with obvious complacency and apathy towards our plight and allow this destruction of these peoples in Iraq,” said Mar Dinkha IV, The Patriarch of Holy Apostolic Catholic Assyrian Church of the East.

“Mere statements of condemnation by the UN, and even of the major countries of the West, are not sufficient! These statements, though taken with gratitude, are not enough to bring an end to these atrocities and to stop this genocide of a religious nature!”

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&sqi=2&ved=0CCEQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.christianpost.com%2Fnews%2Fisis-systematically-beheading-children-in-iraq-they-are-killing-every-christian-they-see-says-chaldean-leader-124594%2F&ei=Re_qU_-lHpakyAS3r4LgDA&usg=AFQjCNGPJyfaGBHd5shVQjzFgYNA_8T_VA

“Thanks to God and thanks to the government of France, we are here today,” said Nabeel Younan, 51, speaking to reporters outside the church shortly before the service started. “But unfortunately, not everyone in the community is safe.”

The whole story still stinks, a horror reminiscent of Herod in scripture.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.