Iraq crisis: 'It is death valley. Up to 70 per cent of them are dead'

From The Telegraph:

Mount Sinjar stinks of death. The few Yazidis who have managed to escape its clutches can tell you why. “Dogs were eating the bodies of the dead,” said Haji Khedev Haydev, 65, who ran through the lines of Islamic State jihadists surrounding it.

On Sunday night, I became the first western journalist to reach the mountains where tens of thousands of Yazidis, a previously obscure Middle Eastern sect, have been taking refuge from the Islamic State forces that seized their largest town, Sinjar.

I was on board an Iraqi Army helicopter, and watched as hundreds of refugees ran towards it to receive one of the few deliveries of aid to make it to the mountain. The helicopter dropped water and food from its open gun bays to them as they waited below. General Ahmed Ithwany, who led the mission, told me: “It is death valley. Up to 70 per cent of them are dead.”

Two American aid flights have also made it to the mountain, where they have dropped off more than 36,000 meals and 7,000 gallons of drinking water to help the refugees, and last night two RAF C-130 transport planes were also on the way.

However, Iraqi officials said that much of the US aid had been “useless” because it was dropped from 15,000ft without parachutes and exploded on impact.

Honestly, that last paragraph makes no sense to me.

The Soviets did the same in the 1944 Warsaw Uprising. They dropped supplies without parachutes from high up, while the Western Allies used parachutes or flew low. The Soviet aid was also useless.

When you drop plastic containers with water from so high up, they will rupture and “explode” on impact with the ground.

The point that doesn’t make any sense is that there is no loadmaster in the Air Force who would ever do such a thing.

The only exception would be if they were ordered to do so. And such an order makes no sense.

Maybe someone made a mistake. Who knows.

Pictures show parachutes

defense.gov/photoessays/PhotoEssaySS.aspx?ID=5380

Yes, saw that on the news this morning – pallets going out the back of a C-130 with parachutes opening behind them. Someone is lying?

see pic here
img.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2014/08/iraq-airdrop2.jpg

Note though that we aren’t the only ones dropping food there.

The whole situation is pitifull and the U.S. is to blalme because we have been arming the militants in Syria and the extremests have absconded with the arms and munitions. Why, why did the U.S. ever start all this. It began with our intervention in Egypt. All this has been done at the request of the Saudi and Turkey. Why? I’ll let you draw your own conclusions. But the U.S. clearly doesn’t care about the non-Muslim minorities, most of whom are Christian. You get what you vote for folks!!!

Linus2nd

I heard the Kurds confronted Isis at the mountain and blazed a path and are freeing the people, Twenty Thousand they rescued.

Kurds are calling it genocide also.

Actually we haven’t. See quote from Hillary Clinton

JG: Do you think we’d be where we are with ISIS right now if the U.S. had done more three years ago to build up a moderate Syrian opposition?

[Hillary Clinton]: Well, I don’t know the answer to that. I know that the failure to help build up a credible fighting force of the people who were the originators of the protests against Assad—there were Islamists, there were secularists, there was everything in the middle—the failure to do that left a big vacuum, which the jihadists have now filled.

They were often armed in an indiscriminate way by other forces and we had no skin in the game that really enabled us to prevent this indiscriminate arming.

theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/08/hillary-clinton-failure-to-help-syrian-rebels-led-to-the-rise-of-isis/375832/

The arms the Islamic State has now are what they have captured from the Iraqis. Also they captured millions of $ when they took Mosul.

They are an army now. And they are, in fact, a state now.

I listened to Hillary earlier, she distanced herself from the doves and Obama for sure.

“One of the reasons why I worry about what’s happening in the Middle East right now is because of the breakout capacity of jihadist groups that can affect Europe, can affect the United States,” she continued. “Jihadist groups are governing territory. They will never stay there, though. They are driven to expand. Their raison d’etre is to be against the West, against the Crusaders, against the fill-in-the-blank — and we all fit into one of these categories. How do we try to contain that? I’m thinking a lot about containment, deterrence and defeat.”

google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCEQqQIwAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.yahoo.com%2Fhillary-clinton-obama-foreign-policy-isis-gaza-failure-141410915.html&ei=FwvpU-26F-HD8AHiq4DADw&usg=AFQjCNHaENszT8HxQUgosBdA4WRpcCBmcg

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.