Iraqi bishop warns that West will suffer from Islamism

Erbil, Iraq, Aug 19, 2014 / 06:17 pm (CNA/EWTN News).- The Chaldean Archbishop of Mosul has warned that Christians around the world would face suffering from Islamists as his diocese has, and decisions that challenge the underpinnings of Western political ideas.

“Our sufferings today are the prelude of those you, Europeans and Western Christians, will also suffer in the near future,” Archbishop Emil Nona told Italian daily Corriere della Sera Aug. 9 from Erbil, the capital of Iraqi Kurdistan.

Archbishop Nona has been forced from his home by the Islamic State, a caliphate recently established in Iraq and Syria. He is among five bishops who have been forced from Mosul.

catholicnewsagency.com/news/iraqi-bishop-warns-that-west-will-suffer-from-islamism-19159/

I hope this is against the forum rules. It’s part opinion, but also news in what the Chaldean Archbishop is warning the West about, and what his dioceses has suffered.

Jim

Yea, its coming, no need to pretend we are untouchable. Not to the degree he’s speaking about which is understandable from what he just experienced. I can a see perhaps a couple cowardly incidents.

With our seeping borders, we don’t know how many of them are here already. And some are said to have passports from other countries that may make it easier from them to get here. I think they will go for something much more significant than killing a few people. I don’t think they will be content with that.

“Your liberal and democratic principles are worth nothing here. You must consider again our reality in the Middle East, because you are welcoming in your countries an ever growing number of Muslims. Also you are in danger. You must take strong and courageous decisions, even at the cost of contradicting your principles.”

This quote describes exactly what I have had on my mind for several years. There is no need to read between the lines or add more words. I would not want to inflame anyone here and risk having a thread shut down. So, I hope that responders here are careful. These bishops are offering a truthful warning.

Deleted former post

The biggest threat in the West isn’t the barrel of the gun (at least initially), it’s the voting booth. They don’t need to commit a military assault, just use the Democratic system to get their folks in. Unlike most Western Christians, Muslims are having babies. Lot’s of them. All they are going to do is take over politically.

They understand this, we don’t. By the time most in the West wake up to it, there won’t be enough time or people to counter it.

You wrote, “I would not want to inflame anyone here and risk having a thread shut down. So, I hope that responders here are careful.”

Isn’t it a shame that “truth” just might have to take a back seat to “hurting someone’s feelings”?

Just because truth isn’t pretty doesn’t mean that it should not be spoken.

Matter of fact, the reason for it being spoken is even greater.

Burying one’s head in the sand changes nothing except for the one with their head buried and the only thing changed for them is that they are blind to what is happening right in front of them.

Islam is about world domination.

Those engaging in terrorism are following Mohammed"s lead.

Those using the law of the land and the ballot boxes are following Mohammed’s lead.

These are two ways of spreading islam and not the only two.

Its a problem for sure. I think its something in the back of everyone’s mind. You think the threat in more real that its been? I don’t know that I get that impression, its certainly possible.

Wise or not, I take them at their word. Some commentators have sounded the alarm that they are the worst group ever and have no feelings other than to “convert” the whole world to their brand of Islam. I am not sure this country, or others, are prepared to deal with this kind of threat. But I guess we’ll see.

I think recruitment of disgruntled young Americans will be a problem in the West and the US.

As it is, ISIS is known to have members from Europe and the USA, who have passports to return home and do their thing.

Thankfully, ISIS is feared by other Muslims, and as a result was a little hesitant to post the Archbishops words.

His experience was with extremist Islam, in a country which never had democracy as we have.

So, I think his experience is blurring his vision of what will happen in the West a little bit.

As it is, Great Britain has a law against preaching radical Islam which threatens the state.

We have the 1st Amendment which would protect such speech, but it would also prohibit them from implementing Shariah law. At least, that’s my hope.

Jim

Why?

Leans more towards opinion than news.

Jim

Very good point.

We might need jihad block watch.:eek: The thing is, everyone wants to move on with their life and really not dwell on these terrorists. Unfortunately I see they refuse to go quietly.

You don’t think the threat can be mitigated in the middle east to prevent the escalation here? Might be wishful thinking but I think Iraq and Syria can be slowed to a trickle.

Yes, that seems to be going well, doesn’t it. :wink:

I don’t know how it’s working, I don’t live there. :shrug:

Jim

Do you have access to YouTube?

Youtube posts aren’t my source for news.

Jim

MODERATOR REMINDER

Since the fear of the thread being closed was expressed early in the thread. A moderator post may be in order. The thread will remain open as long as the CAF rules on charity are kept.

Members are not allowed to be disrespectful of anyone’s faith or religion, whether it is Catholicism or not. That would include posts that are blatantly disrespectful to any religion (e.g., “the pope is the anti-Christ” or “Rome is the Whore of Babylon” or “all Muslims are terrorists”.)

Members are free to discuss, question, disagree with, and debate the doctrines and dogmas of both Catholicism and non-Catholic religions. However, all discourse must be civil and charitable.

More can be found at the forum rules posted at the top of the forum and in my signature.

The west also must fear the violence too, after that beheading incident by ISIS, and watching what Washingtons response was, I think they are very worried about ISIS attacking the US, and they have every right to be concerned, ISIS is a group that Alquaida says is TOO BRUTAL…LOL this is from the group that was responsible for 9-11!!! AMAZING!!

I watched an interview with John Kerry over the weekend and something he said struck me with fear, he said…" right now, ISIS members are sitting over in Iraq, in charge of fleets of heavy military weaponry that used to belong to the US military, and RIGHT NOW, we can be sure they are plotting every possible way they can strike the US, and make 9-11 look like a picnic" (paraphrasing, not word for word)…that is pretty scary in my opinion, and its true, thats even worse!!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.