Ireland and Gay Marriage

Hi all,

This link should do:
d2539.cp.irishdomains.com/index.php?id=3272

I heard on RTE News today that the Irish Goverment (a strange coalition of the Labour Party and the nominally center-right Fine Gael Party) intends to hold a referendum on the legalisation of gay marriage before its mandate expires. It has been estimated that this referendum will take place in either late 2014 or early 2015.

However, I should clearly set out exactly what the situation is like. Essentially, the Government must decide by tomorrow, Tuesday December 5th, whether or not it will go ahead with the Referendum at all, and if so, when it will hold said referendum. The Tánaiste (think "Vice President") is a strong advocate of SSM, whereas the Taioseach ("President") is noncommital. It seems likely that they will decide to go ahead with it, but it seems unlikely that they will hold it in 2014 instead of 2015.

Another thing to remember is that the Irish people are suffering something known as "referendum burnout" - that is, the people have been subjected to six referenda in the past two or three years and as a result are feeling a strong sense of ennui over the entire thing. Add to that the fact that the Government's heavily-endorsed push to abolish the Senate was defeated in the most recent referendum, and the divisions caused in the Conservative Fine Gael party by the recent abortion legislation, may possibly make the Government unwilling to put out yet another motion that its conservative supporters won't like. After all, conservative FG voters already feel like the party's been utterly twisted out of shape by Labour, and they will dislike this even more.

Besides, even if the Referendum does go ahead, the aforementioned ennui means that you may not get a high turnout from those without a strong stake in the issue. Since Ireland, despite massive declines in the last few decades, still has a lot of Catholics in it (both devoted and lukewarm) there is some hope that a number of voters will go against the Referendum simply out of a lack of strong feelings in favour of it.

In any case, it's not something to worry overly about until next year. We don't even know 100% whether it will happen at all until tomorrow.

Peace and God Bless,
kantus

if a catholic country like ireland accepts gay marriage then what wil be Next we are at the end of times, LETS PRAY TO GOD THAT HE CURES ALL THE GAY PEOPLE .

[quote="jurekjurek, post:2, topic:344126"]
if a catholic country like ireland accepts gay marriage then what wil be Next we are at the end of times, LETS PRAY TO GOD THAT HE CURES ALL THE GAY PEOPLE .

[/quote]

...Right. You're obviously a troll.

Spain's 98% Catholic, (In name at least) yet they support gay 'marriage' and abortion. It's a sad state of affairs, thought it reaffirms that we have to properly catechize our youth.

[quote="jurekjurek, post:2, topic:344126"]

[/quote]

What does it mean to "cure" gay people? Make them straight? :rolleyes:

jurekjurek may well be a troll, but whether or not he is I should state clearly that I do not share his particular beliefs on the subject. I don't think that we should necessarily try to "cure" gays, if that means "make them into straight people". However, in accordance with the teachings of the Church, I think we should encourage them to live chaste, holy lives (as we should all be trying to). Pretending that same-sex unions and opposite-sex unions are the same, and that immoral behaviour is not immoral, does not help them do that, on the contrary, it risks letting them fall into greater sin. Thus, I don't see how a Catholic can actively support such a notion - though clearly not everyone sees the same difficulty that I do.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.