Iriology????

Is iriology okay? My dad really seems to be into this stuff and has taken me to go see someone who does this. It seemed a bit strange really (she put magnets on me:confused: ) and gave me some ‘natural’ medicine for me. I was wondering, is there anything I should know about this?

i guess what I’m asking is if anyone knows if this has anything to do with new age. the lady i went to seemed very religious and I think I saw a picture of Jesus on the refrigerator, but i also saw a small card thing with a star in a circle that had some symbols or something:confused: The pills she gave me are, i believe, “all natural” and my parents keep telling me to take them but I’m not so sure if I should.

Your parents are a bit ignorant and you should not take pills from someone who obviously is not allowed by law to prescribe them. This magnet stuff has been around longer than me and is just another way that con artists get money from their ignorant clients. Stay away from these people and these so called healers, it’s all a lot of cra*!

I don’t know much about the magnet treatments, but remember that cocaine is all natural, too.

just wondering…isn’t it illegal to be practicing medicine and giving out pills to people if you don’t have a medical license and a medical diploma from a reputable college:confused: :confused: ???

If you go to quackwatch.com. there is information on iriodology.

Yep, well sort of, and for a while, it was seen a good remedy for sore throats! :thumbsup:

Vin Mariani anyone?

well i’m not sure, but i believe she has a degree or something. i dunno, my dad really beleives in this stuff and claims that the medicine works for him. my mom is also kinda getting into this stuff and telling others about it.

cocaine is not in any way shape or form natural. it is more processed than bologna
Follow your parents.

Ah, but coca leaves are natural. Cocaine HCl is semi-synthetic in that it requires processing. The leaves can be a remedy as can cocaine, but abuse is wrong. That is not the issue though, so sorry to push this thread further off topic…:o

Iridology is what you mean, right? It is the practice of examining the iris of the eye to determine an individuals health including FUTURE health. It is considered “alternative” rather than mainstream, so it lacks the backing of most medical professionals. It does have a connection with holistic and new age thought and practice…The fact that it seems to try to predict the future of individual, I can see many Christians objecting. I think it depends on how you look at it, though. Is it related to the New Age spiritual movement, or is it a secular medical practice…?

Is this the circle that looked like it had a star in it?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/bb/Iridology_iris_eye_chart_right_mirror.jpg

Their is a form of this that is medical not new age. The idea is that the Iris clearly shows when differnt toxins are present in the body. That is it will take different patterns. If this is what your parents are taking you for it is probably good. Why are you going by the way?

The point is that there are lots of all natural things that can kill a person, like snake venom, for example. :slight_smile:

well i only saw about 1/4 of the picture but i’m pretty sure it was a star in circle with symbols or something. I’m going mostly for anxiety problems, i think:confused: she said i had other things, but i don’t know. I beleive that it was either her or my dad that talked about ‘energy’ and ‘balance’. sounded kinda weird…
i’m still putting off taking those pills, i took about three yesterday and the bottle said 1 daily:confused: she said they’re natural so it’s ok if i take multiple ones or something like that:shrug:

It sounds like the Wiccan sign…

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Pentacle_2.svg

Does the bottle identify the contents of the pills? If they are not from the pharmacy, then they are probably not controlled. No cocaine, sorry…:wink: If not, then it is probably a homemade herbal supplement from Wiccan or natural recipes (i.e. no license needed to make them…).

Prayers and petitions,
Alexius:cool:

There is a story in the sayings of the desert fathers of a monk who is given the obedience of watering a board as if it were a plant. In order to do this in the desert he had to spend most of the night walking to and then from the closest well. It made no sense. And yet he did. After som time of this the board sprang to life. The monk continued in his obedience and later the board produced fruit for the monastic brothers.
What your parents ask you to do, take the pills, is not in and of itself an evil. In taking them other than perscribed or in not taking them at all as long as your parents have asked you to, you are rejecting them a breaking of the commandment to honor father and mother. First obey in doing so you will attain the grace needed to overcome the rest.

What?! her parents do not seem to be ignorant, in my opinion. In fact, you, sir or miss, are the one who is ignorant to the mere fact that maybe the parents are trying to help their child in a natural, less harmful manner…Rather than pumping their their with foreign prescriptions with by possibly by far worse side effects.
In my opinion using a holistic/natural way to treatwhatever the problem you have is a very open-minded thing to do.
Many of you need to do some serious research, especially the one who has the initial problem.
To the person who said “just another way to that con artists get money” you are the one who shows great ignorance. I wish you great wellness from the sickness of hate and anger. :]

Please do some research before ANYTHING you choose to do…whether it be a prescribed medicine OR natural herb. figure it out for yourself.

I would not allow some strange person to place magnets on me, first of all.

Secondly, there’s no way I would ever take pills given to me by someone I did not completely trust.

These are common sense things, IMO.

i also saw a small card thing with a star in a circle that had some symbols or something:confused:

This is not a good indication. Was it the Wiccan sign that you saw?

From Wikipedia:

The majority of medical doctors reject all the claims of all branches of iridology and label them as pseudoscience or even quackery.[3] Iridologists are rarely physicians. Iridology is only studied at private institutions, and it is not taught at medical schools.

Critics, including most practitioners of mainstream medicine, dismiss iridology as published studies have indicated a lack of success for its claims. Clinical data does not support any correlation between illness in the body and coinciding observable changes in the iris. In controlled experiments,[4] practitioners of iridology have performed statistically no better than chance in determining the presence of a disease or condition solely through observation of the iris.

It has been pointed out that the premise of iridology is at odds with the notion that the iris does not undergo changes in an individual’s life. Iris texture is a phenotypical feature which develops during gestation and remains unchanged after birth. There is no evidence for changes in the iris pattern other than variations in pigmentation in the first year of life, eventual freckles and variations caused by glaucoma treatment. This stability of iris structures is at the foundation of iris recognition for identification purposes[5][6].

There is a difference between taking a walk in the desert and taking pills that may or may not be good for you. If this “healer” told our OP to go home and bang her head against something solid for 2 hours everyday you wouldn’t advocate that even if her parents agreed? There comes a time in one’s life when they need to start making decisions for themselves about what’s right and wrong.

I wouldn’t take those pills until you had a doctor or pharmacist check them out. Ask the magnet lady for a list of ingredient if it isn’t on the bottle. Your parents may be feeling what is described as a placebo effect, where they think something works, so for them, it does.

Irilogy has been proven to be a load of p o o p. There’s no foundation to it in any way, shape or form.

FUrhter, in agreement with many others, don’t take those pills.

Look at reporting this “healer” to the cops cos most of what you’ve said sounds a little dodgey and that they shouldn’t be doing anything in regards to handing out pills.

And avoid magnet therapy if you have a pacemaker or are pregnant.

If you are sick go to a medical doctor. If you are not sick then why would you take magnets and pills? Its a con job!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.