Irish Government Considering Forcing Second Lisbon Vote in Spring

By Hilary WhiteDUBLIN, June 23, 2008 (LifeSiteNews.com) - French and German officials of the European Union are pressuring Ireland to have another vote on the Lisbon Treaty after the country’s citizenry resoundingly rejected the Treaty several weeks ago in the only referendum held on…

Full article…

They won’t quit until they get the vote they want. They’ll just keep the pressure on until Ireland gives in, I’m afraid. I hope I’m wrong…

No as an Irish person I’d say that’s a fair assesment, they had a second vote on Nice you may recall also. The vote against Lisbon was quite narrow - 53 against, 46 for and the turnout was only moderate so they are hoping that if they rerun it they may get the result they wish for. Which makes a mockery of course of the reason referendums form part of the Irish process for changing the constitution of the sate. Some of the pro-Lisbon campaigning has frankly been scare mongering with people insisting we owe the EU everything and that we will be back to the way we were pre-EU and poverty stricken if we do not vote in favour of Lisbon. Another problem has been that one of the main voices against Lison is Sinn Fein and some who would have voted against Lisbon withheld votes or voted in favour of it as they did not want to be seen as tainted by association with that party.

It’s inevitable i think the govt. will get it to pass somehow sooner or later, Ireland is a small country and the pressure of the larger powers on our govt. will tell in the end cynical as that may sound. Also few people have actual read the documents under consideration and that’s another big problem as many don’t realise just how much sovreignty would be removed from individual states.

Kind of like what the liberals here tried to do in Florida in 2000 with the recounts. Keep doing it until they get the results they want :cool:

Great analogy, Peregrinus. You’ve hit it right on the head! Roanoker

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.