Irony Watch: Notre Dame President Announces Will "March for Life" As "ND 88" Face Jail Time for Doing the Same on ND Campus

Notre Dame President John I. Jenkins announced today that he intends to join the “March for Life” this coming January as part of his commitment made last May, according to Jenkins, to bear witness to the sanctity of life. The March for Life is held each year in Washington, DC to mark the anniversary of the Supreme Court’s Roe v. Wade decision.

Apparently the irony was lost on Jenkins that while he will be preparing to protest against Roe v. Wade, the actual Roe, Norma McCorvey, will be preparing for her criminal trial for protesting at Notre Dame after she was arrested under orders from Father Jenkins who has, so far, refused to drop the charges brought against McCorvey and the rest of the “ND 88”, the dozens of pro-life protestors arrested last spring for “crimes” such as saying the rosary and wearing pro-life t-shirts.

freethend88.org/?q=node/21

Notre Dame has not been a Catholic institution for many years now.
Because of actions of the President of that university, many non-catholics see the the Catholic faith as no different than there own…
Thank God for the real Catholic universities and colleges that follow the true teachings of the church and teach the true faith. What a spineless man he is.

Do most folks who march for life routinely allow other supporters to parade through their living room?

What a strange remark. What does that mean? What living room? Make sense.

Did pro-lifers march through Jenkins living room? Is marching for life and sticking up for the unborn only acceptable one day a year in one particular place?

First of all, Notre Dame is supposed to be a Catholic university. Therefore, if someone wants to protest abortion or say the Rosary on their grounds, that shouldn’t be a criminal offense. Second of all, speaking as a pro-life young woman, if I thought hosting a pro-life meeting or letting pro-life people have a march in my living room, my backyard, or on my roof would help save unborn children, then yes I would do it.

I do hope the charges get dropped. The people who got arrested were doing the right thing, and don’t deserve jail time. The Obama scandal was enough, it shouldn’t be prolonged any further.

Catholics are under no obligation to give up their property rights to anyone.

Well, I for one and glad to know that he supports March for Life.

While I disagree with him giving an award to Obama, I’m glad that he is actually against abortion. Seems kind of contradictory to me, but this is better than having him be pro-choice.

Richard,
The University of Notre Dame has a very strong policy against protestors on campus regardless of their protesting interests. Like most universities, this policy is established for the safety of the students. Notre Dame Bishop D’Arcy wrote a public statement for protestors to NOT protest the university on their own. He urged them to contact the 13 or so student organizations who were protesting the graduation ceremony and align themselves with their ALREADY approved protests. D’Arcy believed that was the best way to fight the problem. It’s the students’ university and they did a fine job showing that Pro-Life is alive and strong at ND: ndresponse.com/

Had the 88 protestors obeyed the local laws and obeyed the Bishop of Ft. Wayne/S. Bend’s request, they never would have been arrested in the first place. They somehow felt above the law and above the Church to disobey both the local laws prohibiting unapproved, non-student led demonstrations and the Church’s request to join the Students and their valiant efforts.

Two years ago, Notre Dame also arrested pro-homosexual protestors who marched on many Christian campuses, unwelcomed of course, promoting their liberal agenda.

So, there are two sides to every situation. Moral of the story…listen to your Bishop (and yes, this also means you too Fr. Jenkins! ;)), obey the local laws and all will be good.

I, too, pray that the 88 are released and I have the feeling they will be. However, the pro-homosexual group was not released so will this be a double-standard and an invitation to all radical groups to protest at ND knowing that “they are the good guys and they’ll eventually let us go?”. I don’t know the answer. All I know is that the 88 were wheeling around baby carriages with “dead, aborted” baby dolls in them. And, honestly, that’s not only wierd, but very sick and disturbing in nature…and this is coming from me, an avid pro-lifer who detests abortion and every aspect of it. But, those acts are just odd :blush: There are more constructive ways to prove one’s point, like the student demonstration…both prayerful and powerful. Just ask Fr. Frank Pavone…he’ll tell you.

God Bless!

A supposedly Catholic University should see a night and day difference between Pro-Life demonstrators and radical homosexual activists.

If Fr Jenkins really want's to save Notre Dame he could start by requesting that the charges against the 88 Pro-Lifers be dropped, and then issue a public apology for inviting Barack Obama to speak at the university.

That may be true. I’d also observe supposed Catholics should have the sense to follow the instructions of the owners of the private property they visit. Being Catholic and against abortion doesn’t confer any special privileges

The 88 who were arrested should have not trespassed and should have had enough respect to obey the local Bishop’s requests to leave this to the students…or if one feels compelled to demonstrate, demonstrate with the students. There were thousands upon thousands of pro-lifers on campus…most peacefully went to the commencement exercises and did not demonstrate. That was there choice. Others (over 3,000 to be exact) felt compelled to demonstrate on campus, including Fr. Pavone (Priests for Life). None of whom were arrested. Why were 88 arrested? Because, they felt the need to disobey. I’m sure charges will be dropped. But, if I was a senior in that class, I would not appreciate the activities that those 88 were demonstrating on my campus. I would, however, appreciate the activities of the students, Fr. Pavone, and Bishop D’Arcy. A graduation weekend is no place for a group of individuals forcing themselves onto private property to push around baby carriages with “aborted fetus dolls” inside spewing blood! How insane. I’m sorry. I’m “Mr. Pro-Life” but that’s just too bizarre for me and for most. It seems very counter-productive.

Bizarre.

Amen to that

Did Fr. Jenkins (or any of the trustees, for that matter) apologize for bringing Obama to campus and conferring an honorary degree? Did he say that letting this take place on the ND campus was wrong? If not than I think that is going to march is something less than sincere.

Notre Dame pro-life efforts being tarnished by trespass charges, says law prof
catholicnewsagency.com/new.php?n=17190

Open letter from Dr. Charles E. Rice to Fr. John I. Jenkins
insightscoop.typepad.com/2004/2009/09/open-letter-from-dr-charles-e-rice-to-fr-john-i-jenkins.html

Dr. Shavers states that “these protesters were arrested for trespassing and not for expressing their pro-life position.” That is misleading. This is not an ordinary case of trespass to land such as would occur if a commuter walks across your lawn and flower bed as a short-cut to the train station. Notre Dame is ordinarily an open campus. Those 88 persons, 82 of whom are represented by Tom Dixon, ND ’84, ND Law School ’93, were arrested not because they were there, but because of who they were, why they were there and what they were saying. Other persons with pro-Obama signs were there but were not arrested and not disturbed. Serious legal and constitutional questions are involved, arising especially from the symbiotic relationship between the Notre Dame Security Police, who made the arrests, and the County Police. This letter is not a legal brief. Rather I merely note that it is disingenuous for Notre Dame to pretend that this is merely a routine trespass case.

So he’s going to be protesting abortion but yet he had people arrested for doing so? :shrug::confused:

Per Charles E. Rice’s open letter, it sounds as if the protesters were selectively cited for trespassing whereas Pro-Obama trespassers were given a free pass (or free trespass). Father Jenkins’ March for Life is disingenuous if it does not include a public request to drop all trespass charges.

What a hypocrite.What a white sephulcur.Vomit in Christ’s mouth.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.