Irrational fears concerning faith

Hi. I am having an issue. I have some non-Catholic and non-Christian, and non-religious friends. sometimes when I encounter them, afterwards I get an irrational fear. I know the Catholic faith is the one, true, holy, catholic and apostolic church and the way to God, but it’s almost like there are thoughts that I do not want to think about their religion and stuff. It’s kind of obsessive compulsive. I get afraid that I will think something that is non-Catholic. I dont know if anyone understands. Please help.

Are your friends a temptation to your faith (an occasion of sin)? If so, look for some Catholic friends who would help keep you strong in your faith and hopefully help keep you free from having these irrational fears.

About these friends you are now associating with and about your irrational fears I don’t know how best to respond. Do you think you might have O.C.D.? Do you think these friends are a bad influence and an occassion of sin for you? Act on what you think to be the case and be at peace. God will help you with the rest.

Peace!

Are your friends a temptation to your faith (an occasion of sin)? If so, look for some Catholic friends who would help keep you strong in your Catholic faith and hopefully help keep you free from having these irrational fears.

About these friends you are now associating with and about your irrational fears I do not know how best to respond. Do you think you might have O.C.D.? Do you think these friends are a bad influence and an occassion of sin for you? Act on what you think to be the case and be at peace. God will help you with the rest.

Peace!

I recommend learning how to defend your faith. So that when you are in these situations you know exactly how to respond. Learn to understand the flaws in the things that give you fear.

And if you come across something that some else believes that is not consistent with the Catholic Church, but you don’t understand why the Catholic Church teaches it, research that topic and learn why the Catholic Church teaches what it does. I guarantee that you will not find anything that can not be explained through the Catholic Faith.

So rest assure that even if someone gives you a compelling argument for something inconsistent with the Catholic Church, you can always find the flaws in their argument.

And pray, pray, pray.

I have hope that this fear will not consume you and that you will find that these occassions will be excellent opportunities for you to evangelize. :slight_smile:

Yes, I believe I do have OCD. I have other symptoms as well. I have learned a lot about my faith. Nobody really “challenges” me, or anything. They dont get into any issues about religion usually. I believe this worry is irrational. It’s not logical. Sometimes I just worry. Thank you for your tips. There is a Catholic group of friends that I have with whom I will try to spend more time. Also, I’m planning on doing many spiritual things during Lent. Any other advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Phil

There is an excellent book called Understanding Scrupulosity. The author’s last name is Santa. You should find it very helpful!

Blessings!:slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.