Irregular menstrual cycles linked to ovarian cancer

A new study has linked irregular cycles to ovarian cancer. This could possibly explain why long term use of the birth control pill has previously been linked to a reduction in ovarian cancer.

My thoughts on this are rather long, so I wrote a blog on it found here.

In summary, I argue basically that we need to stop seeing fertility charting as family planning. Its a great health record and we need to take advantage of that. And need to provide alternative resources for all women with irregular cycles. omsoul and fertilitycare.org are great, but they don’t actually list the doctors that are in my area. And my diocese has a pdf of doctor recommendations, but it hasn’t been kept up to date.

I also do argue that we need to be more merciful and understanding to Catholic women who go on hormonal birth control to treat irregular cycles either because they have no other local resources or aren’t aware they exist. I also mention that I think there is a reasonable chance that a woman with an irregular cycle has a greater chance of spontaneous early abortion off the pill than on it. It’s hard to say, but I think we need to recognize that Humanae Vitae does defend theraputic reasons.

That will probably be the most controversial opinion I have there. Let me know what you think.

Why Catholics should not ignore irregular cycles.

There are alternatives to The Pill. I suggest you have a look at the following resources and I hope you find them helpful.

stlouisreview.com/article/2012-05-03/catholic-doctor

Scroll down on the following site to find your state:

cogforlife.org/prolifephysicianlist.htm

One more:

catholicmedicalcenter.org/community-health/natural-family-planning.aspx

Peace,
Ed

Yes, yes. Surgical excision=$$$. What surgeon would NOT recommend this?

I will quote what I said about this on my blog:

We need to support Dr. Hilger’s and the Pope Paul IV Institute to continue to develop therapies. We need to create more local lists of physicians who either are trained in napro or who are NFP friendly AND we need to keep those lists up-to-date (fertilitycare.org and onemoresoul.com are great resources, but we’d have more resources if we included NFP friendly physicians and recognize that Cathlics organizations ARE NOT our only resources). We need to talk about diet, exercise and see how that touches not only our hormonal health, but perhaps even the sin of gluttony (Perhaps stop thinking of it as merely over-eating). And ABOVE ALL we need to forgive the fact that there probably aren’t enough physicians trained in these alternative approaches to help all the Catholics in the world avoid the birth control.

**We need to stop JUDGING our Catholic sisters who tell us that they’re on the pill for real problems. ** AND we need to stop pretending that “Oh you don’t need that! NFP can be used with ANY cycle irregularity! Just take midol. Stop being so vain about your acne. And, even though there are no Creighton instructors in our area and no napro doctor, I HEARD naprotechnology SOLVES EVERYTHING! Allergic to sperm? Oh yes, Dr. Hilger’s must have a solution to that one too. It’s not on his website, but Dr. Hilger’s is solves everything. There’s absolutely no health problem that could POSSIBLY create a situation that might challenge our moral presumptions because Dr. Hilgers exists. He’s like a modern day Jesus, performing miracles left and right."

As for concerned about the immorality of using hormonal birth control for non-contraceptive reasons, I offered this:

There are those in some branches of the pro life movement who insist that the birth control pill causes abortion. So while Humanae Vitae says “On the other hand, the Church does not consider at all illicit the use of those therapeutic means necessary to cure bodily diseases, even if a foreseeable impediment to procreation should result there from—provided such impediment is not directly intended for any motive whatsoever.” [See paragraph 15], that doesn’t matter because he birth control pill MIGHT prevent implantation.

But here’s the thing. This MAYBE is a true maybe. No one started tracking ovulation and fertilization in women on the pill. No one was following any little new babies down their trip through into the uterus and watched them fail to implant. No, not at all. They simply knew that in screwing with a woman’s hormonal balance, this can effect the endometrium tissue JUST LIKE hormonal imbalances can do with irregular cycles. Could it actually be that women who are on the pill for irregular cycles are actually reducing their chances of an early undetected and spontaneous miscarriage? I don’t know, but I DON’T think hormonal contraceptive can be put n the level of direct abortion.

These comments are based on truth, science, and compassion. I heartily agree with twoangels about the “need to stop judging our Catholic sisters who tell us that they’re on the pill for real problems.” These women need understanding and support. If we can’t understand their circumstances because we choose to believe they are being sinful then we need to do some homework about the subject ~ and STILL support them in the process.

Bishop Lori testified before Congress right after the HHS mandate was announced and admitted that oral contraceptives could have more than one purpose, and that the Church’s objection was related to it being used as a contraceptive, as would most women likely availing themselves of free oral contraceptives and other contraceptives. This intended usage was affirmed when we heard such testimony as from Sandra Fluke. But as far as the Church is concerned, there is not an immoral issue to use hormonal medicines for non-contraceptive reasons as you described, so that’s not an issue.

That being said, the same studies that show a link to OC’s reducing the risk for ovarian cancer also say that OC’s increase a woman’s risk of breast, cervical, and liver cancer. For studies and references, see U.S. government candidly admits oral contraception increases risk of cancer in women. The World Health Organization lists contraceptives as a Group 1 carcinogen. Jill Stanek, among other bloggers, has a number of posts on contraceptives, many which reveal the cancerous dangers of ingesting hormonal chemicals.

In other words, the “ovarian” side of the studies has disproportionately been marketed as justification for vilifying entities like the Church when, in fact, 1) the Church is not opposed to a strictly medicinal use of the drug; and 2) it is many members of the Church who are the ones bringing to light the carcinogenic dangers of prolonged use of such drugs while the media keeps those dangers very quiet.

I think I heard Downers Grove OB/GYN advertise on Relevant Radio in Chicago area for those interested in doctors who practice the faith in this area.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.