Irresistible grace

Is irresistible grace the teaching of the Catholic Church?

sources please,

I’m only familiar with it as a Calvinist concept. And I have not had good luck getting it defined either. http://www.forumsextreme.com/imgs1/sSa_sadeyes.gif

I found an article on it, but I have not had the chance to read it all yet.

newadvent.org/cathen/06710a.htm

It might help.

[EDIT] I found this in the article:

the Council of Trent (Sess. VI, cap. v, can. iv) describe efficacious grace as a grace which man “can reject”, and from which he “can dissent”? Consequently, the very same grace, which de facto is efficacious, might under other circumstances be inefficacious.

comments?

After a cursory skim, it seems each mention of the word “irresistable” is usually preceded by NOT, as in “not irresistable.”

The Council of Trent infallibly teaches grace is resistible. Further, the fact we see Christians turning to lives of sin the New Testament proves grace is resistible.

Here is my understanding of the Catholic Church´s teachings on actual grace. As far as actual grace goes, there are two ¨kinds:¨ efficacious and sufficient.

¨Sufficient grace¨ is the actual grace that God gives us, sufficient enough to enable us to carry out a meritorious act, but we resist it or ignore it.

¨Efficacious grace¨ is that actual grace that we do act upon. No actual grace is completely irresistable, (although if God wanted to, He could make it so), but this ¨efficacious grace¨ is one that affects our will in a way that we freely comply with His will.

I hope I helped.

Here´s where I´ve gotten my info on actual grace:

rosary-center.org/ll46n2.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.