Irreverance

My husband and I attended our first Latin Mass last week. I loved it. In many ways it reminded me of the Masses in Poland (kneeling for Communion, receiving on the tongue, actually having a Priest give out all the Hosts). We went back to our regular parish yesterday. I was just struck how different everyone treats the Eucharist. OK, maybe not everyone, but…

This woman took the consecrated host back to the tabernacle which is in the chapel (kind of behind a glass behind the main alter) I could see her through the glass. She put the consecrated host back into the tabernacle and she didn’t kneel or anything. It took the wind out of my sails. Perhaps I was more impressed by this because I just saw how the priest at the Latin Mass took such reverence and care with the Eucharist.

I love receiving on the tongue, but when you come to a Eucharistic minister I am scared that they haven’t been trained and the Host will fall. Plus, it just loses that something to receive on the tongue after taking it from a lay person. Perhaps I should not think this because it is the Body of Christ, but still…

**I am with you ALL the way on a need to be more reverant toward the Eucharist, but this is not a matter of language. **

me too

Extraordinary Minister - and I share that concern.

No no no. Stay focussed on our Lord. I do not look at the person administering the Eucharist to me, including the priest. At that moment, it’s all about the body, blood, soul, and divinity of Jesus.

I understand what you mean. It shouldn’t matter, and I’ve gotten used to the droves of EMHC’s at my parish during each Mass.

But, every year, when our second graders receive their First Communion and I see the beauty of 3 or 4 priests distributing the Body of Christ at the front of the Church, it makes me realize and appreciate the priesthood Christ gave us, and I fall in love with His Church a little bit more. I guess that may sound silly and perhaps it’s even wrong. I know it’s the Body of our Lord no matter who I receive it from and that’s not what I’m talking about; but there is something about receiving it from the consecrated hands of a priest that helps me more fully appreciate this beautiful Church and all the gifts Christ has given it through His priests.

Whenever I serve as an EMHC, if I ever am instructed by the priest to take the Hosts back to the tabernacle, I always genuflect after closing the tabernacle. Christ deserves it! He is the King of kings and Lord of lords.

do you know for a fact that this person is physically able to genuflect and rise again unaided? if not, could you possibly apply some Christian charity toward her actions?

Christian charity is fine, but lets not always assume people are irreverant because they do not have the capacity to show reverence. Even if one cannot genuflect due to some physical malady, it is not too much to ask for someone to make some effort and do something. Don’t you agree?

Some people physically can’t genuflect, that’s true. But there are plenty of people with perfectly good knees who don’t. If the person could not genuflect, he should at least do a profound bow or make some sort of prayerful and respectful gesture.

Now, it’s true that if you hang around church a lot and do a lot of work around the sanctuary, it can be hard to remember that it’s a special place. But… if you’ve signed up to do stuff for church, it’s your responsibility to remember. If I am slinging microphones past the tabernacle, I try hard to remember to stop there, and to really genuflect and not just bob. And no matter how many times I have to go back and forth in front of the altar, I try to remember to make a profound bow every time. (Man, it’d be so much easier if the tabernacle were up with the altar… sigh…) That’s my plain duty. And I’m not even doing anything particularly holy.

The other thing is that, besides it just being right to kneel before Our King, it’s also a good example for the kids and can even remind adults of where they are and what they’re here for.

Believe me, formality doesn’t come easily to me. But if you can’t be formal for God’s sake, when should you be formal?

You are right, she might not have been able to genuflect… she did not look disabled, but one never knows. I would have thought that a pause and deep bow would have been perfectly appropriate.

Again, my husband and I went to the Saturday Vigil, and another person (this time a man) did not genuflect or bow. Perhaps, they are poorly taught. Not much I can do, is there?

there are days I simply cannot genuflect and rise unaided, so I don’t do it if I am not next to a pew or something to hang onto. If I make a profound bow I am likely to fall over–it has happened several times and my pastor has told me for heaven’s sake don’t bow before receiving communion.

If, in the name of Christian charity, we still had a communion rail I would be able to receive with proper and due reverence, but since they took that aid away, me and the rest of us old crocks are stuck.

Perhaps a Sign of the Cross would be acceptable for those who are unable to genuflect or bow.

Well, yes there is. Please let your Pastor know. He may not even be aware of this, but I’m sure he would take corrective action.

I think a Sign of the Cross for those who cannot bow or genuflect is a wonderful gesture. On the subject of reverence, one of my favorite things about our priest from Poland is that he is the most reverent priest I have ever known. He is a terrific example to all of us of how to show respect and reverence to our Lord in the Mass. When he says the words of Consecration, everything and everyone in the church becomes still - it seems that even the babies know that Someone important is now here.

yes I am sure that would be a good idea. Another sign of reverence would be for those in the congregation with all the free time on their hands to watch what everyone else is doing and criticize it to instead close their eyes and contemplate the mystery of the Eucharist.

Well, at least I am in good company…:wink:

:heart:Blyss

Great point. It is about Him not us.

yes I am sure that would be a good idea. Another sign of reverence would be for those in the congregation with all the free time on their hands to watch what everyone else is doing and criticize it to instead close their eyes and contemplate the mystery of the Eucharist

Heh! I’m mostly oblivious to what’s going on around me at Church - unless some people get too loud:rolleyes: or the choir starts banging tambourines:eek:

I think you’ve hit the nail on the head, about the problem with reverence. You have to think very spiritually here and go way beyond the externals that distract you.

It’s ironic that those old rituals and priestly vestments were considered a distraction back then, when now they stand out as at least one way to show reverence and solemnity at that moment of communion with the Divine.

The historic pendulum swung away from all that rich tapestry of decoration and artistry to a modern almost sterile adornment that fails to inspire.

This statement is a classical fallacy of argumentation known as the bait and switch (whether intentional or not). We are NOT discussing the subject of what people in the pews should be doing. We are discussing the reverence or lack thereof shown to the Holy Eucharist by priests and EMHOCs. Please stay on topic. If you wish to discuss the issue of people’s actions in the pews, please start a new thread. Thank you

I for one find puzzleannie’s post, like most of hers, to be right on target in this thread, & on topic. Reminded me of one of my favorites, Matthew 7:3.

One more log in my eye :wink:

Would you care to explain how her post is on topic? Remember, the OP is talking about the reverence shown to the Holy Eucharist by priests and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion. The post is a classic fallacy of argumentation. Pointing to the behavior of others to take the focus off the issue at hand. I actually agree that many people seem to be doing anything other than praying after receiving the Holy Eucharist. But that is a separate issue from what we are talking about in this thread and shifting the focus of the topic is usually what happens when someone has nothing else of substance to say.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.