IRS Caught on Tape Telling Prolife group: “Keep Your Faith to Yourself”

Quite astonishing, I’m not sure if this was a self incensed rant or the IRS instructions regarding prolife groups. If the latter, then this should put the cat amongst the pigeons…

lifenews.com/2013/06/10/irs-caught-on-tape-telling-nonprofit-keep-your-faith-to-yourself/

*The IRS scandal is deepening as a new tape has been released today showing a disturbing phone call the Internal Revenue Service placed to a non-profit organization.

Alliance Defending Freedom, a pro-life legal group, made the audio available today of IRS officials telling a group that provides support to women in abusive pregnancy situations to keep its faith to itself. In the recorded phone conversation, an IRS agent lectures the president of the organization about forcing its religion and beliefs on others and inaccurately explains that the group must remain neutral on issues such as abortion.

ADF is providing legal representation for the group — which did not receive its tax-exempt status until last week after waiting nearly two and a half years after applying for it.

“The IRS is a tax collector; it shouldn’t be allowed to be the speech and belief police,” said Senior Legal Counsel Erik Stanley. “The current scandal isn’t new but has merely exposed the abuse of power that characterizes this agency and threatens our fundamental freedoms.”*

Here is the transcript:

adfmedia.org/files/ProLifeRevolutionCallTranscriptIRS.pdf

I think it’s important to note that the IRS ultimately DID grant them tax-exempt status.

I’m curious to hear more about the context involved here, I’m not sure that I understand what the agent means in practical terms. What was this really in reference to, specifically?

The more I read these letters, the more this sounds like another tinfoil hat piece from lifesitenews, which is nothing new for them.

It appears that the only thing crime the IRS has committed is hiring a bunch of people that can’t write properly. (Seriously, look at those letters they sent… they’re terrible!)

Ultimately after the scandal was exposed world-wide, while evangelical atheist, vociferous liberal and in-your-face pro-abortion groups were getting immediate approval.

And Michael Voris is a Catholic hero when it comes to these matters:

youtube.com/watch?v=KyvgIM7E9Do&feature=player_embedded

How sickening. This is clearly a violation of the First Amendment. The First Amendment does not only give us the freedom to worship but the freedom to practice our religion which includes evangelizing.

**IRS grant them tax exempt status, two years after the pro life group applied for tax exempt status. **

**Dump the IRS. The IRS is a bully. **

Exactly, this is very important. After making them wait for a while.

Why it is important is because in the case of the Tea Party groups, status was witheld until shortly before the elections so basically causing harm to their main purpose let alone the primaries months before.

And what a political position to be saying “you don’t have a right to speak up for this?”

With this on tape, I’d think the IRS and Federal Government can be sued for a lot of money.

This story has been reported from all over while accepting at the same time, it would be far from fitting the news of such news reporters as NBC for example.

bizpacreview.com/2013/06/11/irs-was-recorded-telling-pro-life-group-keep-your-faith-to-yourself-76114

nation.foxnews.com/2013/06/10/irs-caught-tape-telling-nonprofit-keep-your-faith-yourself

freebeacon.com/irs-agent-tells-pro-life-group-to-stay-neutral-on-abortion/

townhall.com/columnists/erikstanley/2013/06/10/recorded-irs-agent-telling-nonprofit-to-keep-faith-to-themselves-n1617139

hotair.com/archives/2013/06/10/audio-irs-agent-tells-pro-life-group-keep-your-faith-to-yourself/

We have represented tax clients to the IRS and when we found the IRS to have wrongly treated someone, tacitly we would write them back:

Our Client accepts your apology in advance.

By the way, I would be interested in seeing these “tin-foil” hat stories you assert Life News publishes.

I really find unfounded negative comments against Life News to be unsavory seeing how their purpose is rather noble and few of these criticisms ever hold up.

Per the last post: LifeSiteNews not LifeNews.

Still, I would hope VeritasLuxMean can provide evidence of the assertion of Lifesitenews publishing “tin foil hat” articles.

The Obama admin treats the constitution and amendments the same way a cafeteria Catholic treats Catholicism. Obama acts as if he’s above the law and constitution. And he even criticized it saying that it contains “deep flaws”. Strange for someone who puts his hand on a Holy Bible (which he has also criticized and ridiculed) and swears to support and defend the constitution. Obama also omitted the word “Creator” when reciting the Declaration of Independence and repeated this same omission more than once when giving a speech.

‘We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that each of us are endowed with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness,’” Obama said in his speech. [Emphasis added.]

The Declaration of Independence actually says, “We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.” [Emphasis added.]

Source

Instead of ‘New Church building Funds’ collections at Mass there** needs** to be Civil (Christian) Liberties Defense Funds collections!!!

No. I am* not* kidding. :mad:

Ultimately the church will loose far more monies in the near run if we do not protect ourselves!

I for one can’t wait for this organization to take over the -]tax/-] -]fine/-] -]fee/-] tax duties for my healthcare!

Hope you’re reading, NSA. Everthing is fine here! :thumbsup:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh… Sarcasm no doubt!

Providing cover and deflection for the scandal, and using Alinsky tactics to marginalize and smear those who provide evidence of the scandal is disgusting.

In this instance, the IRS has been used as a weapon against people who oppose abortion, and your first thought is to discount, and deflect attention?

Ultimately…?

Have you heard “Justice delayed is justice denied?” The IRS is to treat every taxpayer equally, regardless of whether they are down with the applicant’s mission. It’s clear, and admitted by the IG that the IRS targeted certain groups for additional scrutiny, delays, and invasive if not illegal data requests and other questions.

Apparently the Tea Party woman who said they collected donations in a cake pan was a threat to Democracy? The small pro life group praying the rosary in front of Planned Parenthood was going to thwart them from their evil practices?

I’ve done a number of these applications and at no time were we subjected to any of these practices. The applications were processed quickly and with no additional information required. This is the normal practice. What we see has happened in 2010 to 12 was clearly driven by a higher power than a few low level agents in Cincinatti.

The more I hear about these stories, the more I realize that the election of 2012 was compromised in significant ways. We are all up in arms when some fledgling democracy has less than adquate campaign and election practices. We need look no further than our own country to see what totalitariansm can bring as these thuggish practices continue to become more pervasive.

As to your pejorative and baseless comment about Lifesitenews, it says more about you than about them. This story was published in numerous media, in print, on TV and radio. It was not Lifesitenews making up something so that the sweet harmless IRS was unfairly targeted.

Lisa

I am beginning to wonder if there are any sane people left in the IRS.

I suspect the Obama administration will respond by blaming the tape.:mad:

In most private businesses an employee who treated customers this way would be fired for cause.

A couple of pictures are worth a thousand words…

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/s403x403/8797_10151652862996178_1102778189_n.jpg

The IRS has gotten more ideological under Obama.:frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.