Is 67 too old to become a nun?

I recently returned to the Catholic Church after 40 years. Since I was young I wanted to be a nun, but life took me in a different direction. I still feel the pull to live as a religious. I have my own money, as well as Social Security, a pension, and health insurance for life, so finances or health costs wouldn’t be an issue. Any information you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many orders do have age limits, not just because of financial considerations but because the work of the order can be too strenuous for those who are older. But if God is calling you to the religious life, then 67 is not an impediment in and of itself. You might want to look at the contemplative, cloistered orders, where the primary work of the order is to pray. Sister Rosalind Moss, who used to be a staff apologist here at Catholic Answers, is in the process of founding a new religious order called the Daughters of Mary, Mother of Israel’s Hope. I believe she plans that the order should accept adult Catholic women regardless of age.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.