Is a confession valid

When you go into confession with a truly contrite heart and confess your sins, and give your exact sins, but do no specify exactly how many times you have committed that particular sin…is that confession valid and can you receive absolution?

As a chemistry major in college many years ago, a professor taught the class the difference between a WAG and a SWAG.

A WAG is a wild-*ss guess.

A SWAG is a Scientific Wild-*ss guess.

Did the priest ask for the number?

Did you give him a WAG or a SWAG?

If you were honest to your best estimate, it was valid.

Peace in Christ…Salmon

[quote=dumspirospero]When you go into confession with a truly contrite heart and confess your sins, and give your exact sins, but do no specify exactly how many times you have committed that particular sin…is that confession valid and can you receive absolution?
[/quote]

The number helps the priest understand if this is a one time lapse or an on going problem. He may offer different guidance in different circumstances. God already knows not only what you have done but how many times you have done it! It is best if you state that you did this once or six times. It is for your benefit and the priests, not God’s.

I just went to confession today and there was one in paticular sin I have commited more than once since my last confession. I told the priest that I have committed it “a NUMBER” of times. I felt that was the best thing to say rather than get frustrated and think about the exact amount. Just be honest in your confessions and tell them to the priest, if you have committed adultry once or three times then you are an adultrer, if you have stolen then you are a theif. Just confess what you’ve done and don’t worry about the exactness.

Out of the darkness and into the light is where we all should and must go, for no servant is greater than his master, and what master you serve is what you’ll represent. So be in the light, for there is hope for all. Jason Baccaro

[quote=dumspirospero]When you go into confession with a truly contrite heart and confess your sins, and give your exact sins, but do no specify exactly how many times you have committed that particular sin…is that confession valid and can you receive absolution?
[/quote]

Of course :slight_smile:

[quote=Br. Rich SFO]The number helps the priest understand if this is a one time lapse or an on going problem. He may offer different guidance in different circumstances. God already knows not only what you have done but how many times you have done it! It is best if you state that you did this once or six times. It is for your benefit and the priests, not God’s.
[/quote]

The confession is still valid. Br. Rich is right, the times helps the priest know the culpability involved, and to distinguish mortal and venial sins, and how to help best. This can be particularly important if the priest does not know you. A visitng priest or a parish you are visitng wouldn not know your history so to speak if the sin has become habitual or the ability to give full consent of the will has been compromised. Hope this helps. Thanks and God Bless.

I am not very good about the details of my memory. Often when I confess my sins the number of times I committed a sin is just a best guess. I always add at the end of my confession: “and for any sins which I have committed against God since my last confession that I am not remembering now; I am sorry for them and ask forgiveness for those sins.”

If you are purposely concealing the number of times you have committed the sin, you may be committing another in the process. However, simply saying that you have repeated the sin between 5 and 10 times (or whatever the ballpark may be) will be just fine. Your intent should not be to conceal anything, then you will be fine.

Eamon

So… there was this rabbi and this priest, they were childhood friends, ended up leading their individual congregations in the same neighborhood…
One day the rabbi says to the priest, hey Joe, I’ve often wondered about confession, I mean we’re both men of God, do you suppose I could sit in with you?”
The priest considers, understands they are in fact representing the same God, figures, what the heck.
So the first man comes in, says bless me father for I have sinned, I’ve committed adultery 3 times since my last confession. The priest gives him the usual lecture and tells him say three hail Marys’and put a dollars in the poor box. The next person is a woman, says bless me father for I have sinned, I’ve committed adultery 3 times since my last confession. Priest again lectures her and tells her say 3 hail Marys and put a dollar in the poor box. Just before the next person enters, a nun arrives and explains to the priest that a parishoner has taken ill and may be dieing. He must come now!!! The priest doesn’t know what to do, he’s got one more person to hear their confession, but the dying person can’t wait. He asks his friend the rabbi if he thinks he can handle the last parishioner, the rabbi says sure no problem, and off the priest goes.
There’s the rabbi sitting when the last man comes in says, bless me father for I have sinned, I’ve committed adultery twice since my last confession, the rabbi responds, no problem my son, go out and have another, we’re having a sale this week, three for a dollar.

o.k. it’s rude, crude, and socially unexceptable, and i’m goiung to hell for repeating it, i know…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.