Is a crucifix with a Risen Christ wrong?

I friend happen to post a link on Facebook citing that Pius XII condemns Pope Francis’ risen Christ on the Cross. There was a video which stated that an Encyclical written by Pope Pius XII ’ Mediator Dei paragraph 62’ stated that what Pope Francis making use of the Crucifix with a risen Christ is wrong.
Paragraph 62 -Assuredly it is a wise and most laudable thing to return in spirit and affection to the sources of the sacred liturgy. For research in this field of study, by tracing it back to its origins, contributes valuable assistance towards a more thorough and careful investigation of the significance of feast-days, and of the meaning of the texts and sacred ceremonies employed on their occasion. But it is neither wise nor laudable to reduce everything to antiquity by every possible device. Thus, to cite some instances, one would be straying from the straight path were he to wish the altar restored to its primitive tableform; were he to want black excluded as a color for the liturgical vestments; were he to forbid the use of sacred images and statues in Churches;** were he to order the crucifix so designed that the divine Redeemer’s body shows no trace of His cruel sufferings**and lastly were he to disdain and reject polyphonic music or singing in parts, even where it conforms to regulations issued by the Holy See.

I some how in my heart know that link is wrong but I need a way to explain to my friend and I need help on this topic.
Thanks

We first need to realize that what is being addressed by the Pope are individuals who are making absolute claims. In that list of things, there could be good reasons in individual cases why those things are done or not done. For example, a parish might not have statues simply because there is no room for them. That doesn’t mean the parish is in violation of the Pope’s teaching.
The Pope was addressing people who claim that just because the early Church didn’t do some things the way we do them today that we must reject today’s practices in favor of earlier practices. An individual case in particular circumstances is not the same context that the Pope is addressing.
As to the particular issue at hand let’s look at the Pope’s actual words:

were he to order the crucifix so designed that the divine Redeemer’s body shows no trace of His cruel sufferings.

Let’s leave aside the argument of whether a risen Christ with the cross qualifies as a crucifix. An image of a cross with the risen Christ that shows the wounds of Christ is fully in line with a literal reading of the Mediator Dei. An image of the risen Christ that depicts the wounds in Christ’s hands would certainly qualify as a “trace of His cruel sufferings.”
While such a cross image does not qualify as the required crucifix in the sanctuary, it does not appear to violate the Pope’s words in a meaningful manner as long as the wounds are still visible. But even if there was an individual case, it still does not violate what the Pope is actually addressing: those who would demand every image be a certain way.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.