Is a mini ice age on the way? Scientists warn the Sun has 'gone to sleep' and say it could cause temperatures to plunge

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2541599/Is-mini-ice-age-way-Scientists-warn-Sun-gone-sleep-say-cause-temperatures-plunge.html

2013 was due to be year of the ‘solar maximum’
Researchers say solar activity is at a fraction of what they expect
Conditions ‘very similar’ a time in 1645 when a mini ice age hit

Need to crank up the co2!

Isn’t this what happened with Mt. St. Helen et al back in the early 80’s?

i haven’t seen any Mammoths walking around lately, so I doubt we’ll have an ICE AGE of sorts.

But we did have some mighty cold wind chills January 6th - going back to school after Christmas Break was delayed by one day due to them.

The “Little” Ice Age lasted from about the 16th century to the 19th. It was “little” b/c it didn’t feature the continuous winter conditions of the major ice ages (the one’s with the Mammoths walking around). The Little Ice Age was responsible for the cold winters we see in painting from this period with rivers frozen solid enough to be safely ice skated on much of the winter and for the massive ice chunks in the picture of Washington crossing the Delaware. Before the “Little” Ice Age was the “Medieval Warming Period” which featured warmer temps like we’ve had since the 19th cent.

All this shows us that the Earth’s climate naturally fluctuates quite a bit, thus a global warming would not necessarily (and historically has not been) caused by man. Not that it is impossible for pollution to impact climate change, but global warming isn’t necessarily being caused by man (saying that might make me anathema in some circles).

Sunspots. It’s normal, and happens periodically.

Are the scientists saying this the same ones that brought us dire predictions of an ice age in the 70’s, runaway global warming in the 90’s, and hysteria about man made climate change now?

If humans really are raising the temperature of the planet it may save our lives when the sun enters its next low activity cycle.

Well, I remember my old pastor saying way back circa 1990/91 that he thought God was doing something to the sun.

Hardly scientific, but I found he was pretty accurate with his predictions and in what he said.

Anyway, we’ll see.

The weather throughout the world changes at least every 50 years. Places with cold climates turn warm and places with warm climates turn cold. Don’t worry, it’s completely normal. All of this “global warming” and “climate change” is all a trick; just adding that in there. :wink:

A bit of advice, ignore scientists who make these claims. They have never been right. This would be the second ice age warning in my life time. Wait until summer; it will be global warming again because someone eats beef.

Anathema, of course, because belief in AGW feeds into the population control agenda. Better commit cultural suicide than destroy the earth overpopulating it.

Beat me to it :smiley:

Not to worry; the MMGW enthusiasts will still be beating the drums as the leading edges of the glaciers are pushing their houses off their foundations.

Some scientists already hold that our CO2 will prevent another ice age.

ICXC NIKA

“news” is based on sensationalism. It’s commercial purpose is to grab readers who will see the advertising next to the news. Journalism is no longer based on truth. Maybe it never was.

It’s the End of the World…

:amen:

I can’t wait to hear AlGore’s explanation of how man-caused global warming is causing a reduction in solar activity!

I was watching something the other day where someone said the cooler temps proved global warming.:shrug:

Indeed. It has certain inconsistencies, just like the earth. We can test them using the moon, easily accomplished.

Oy!
FIRST it’s an global cooling, THEN corrections bring on a Global Warming Hysteria,
anti-Capitalism/Corporate Hippies plague American society, bunch of shouting and
yelling, new religions built around this Global Warming societal freak out, ONLY TO
NOW move on to a mini ice age?!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.