Is a Pro-drug legalization opinion a conflict of interest for college Drug Rehab majors?

I had a recent discussion with a student who was entering university as a drug rehab major. I wondered how popular she would be on campus when she told her fellow students that she was a drug rehab major. Then I wondered if she was pro-legalization or anti-legalization. I wondered if she would feel guilty by tempting people into addiction if she is pro-legalization, then charging them large sums of money to cure them from their addictions. It would seem to be self-serving. I am hoping that she is not doing this in order to help people while being closed – minded enough to see the cause. Thoughts?

You wonder about her motives…but have you asked her??? It sounds like you are condemning her for things you don’t even know she thinking about much less doing.

Considering that people become addicted to alcohol and legal prescription drugs, are rehab counselors supposed to want those things to be illegal? Not wanting drugs to be a law enforcement issue doesn’t mean you think people should use and/or abuse them (and it certainly doesn’t mean you have nefarious motives-getting people addicted to you can make money curing them. Not to mention that substance abuse counselors make very little money, so it wouldn’t be a very smart scheme, anyway).

In Christ,
Ellen

I’ve even heard people who think that drugs should be legal because it makes rehab easier. A lot of people already use drugs; if they were legal it would be easier to go into rehab and get their lives straightened out without having to worry about the legal consequences

I kind of agree with this. Nobody really wants to be hooked on heroin, meth or crack. They realize they have a problem but it’s hard for them to admit it to others. I think it’s because of the legality of it, it makes them feel dirty, shame, etc. It’s hard to admit to people you are doing something illegal or sinning behind their backs. So I can see the reasoning behind legalization making it easier to go to rehab.

Plus, if it were legal I suspect there would be less drug dealers essentially forcing people to stay wacked out of their mind because people could just go to the store and buy it freely.

There are a lot of variables in this though.

My wondering is hypothetical. I have mixed feelings on the issue. If she’s anti-legalization, then her motives are pure. If she’s pro-legalization, then she’ll have more future job security. Maybe she’s ambivalent. It presents an interesting philosophical question.

Maybe the substance abuse counselors make little money, but drug rehab is big business.

I just find it ironic that we know that legalization will cause many people to struggle with painful and unhealthy addiction, yet some of those people want to see themselves as heros who help, after helping them into the addiction in the first place. We have an act that is presently defined as “bad,” but we want to redefine it to be “not bad,” but then we know the consequences will be “bad” for many to the point of ruined lives and despair. It’s like people’s minds are half closed out of convenience. It would be one thing if the general society was willing to accept a form of Darwinian evolution where we know the weakest people will get curbstomped by addiction while giving more freedom to the strong who can handle their pleasure, but we won’t. People will call for more charity and higher taxes on the innocent, to clean up the problem that we begged for. See the irony?

If you add in all the present non-users, you’ll have many more people in rehab. If the govt disallows individual growers, then the govt will get vilified for being motivated by tax revenues to pay for rehab. If the govt allows individual growers, the tax revenues won’t be there to pay for rehab, and we’ll have another tax liability on an issue that centers around free will (or lack thereof, pun intended).

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.