Is a Protestant Church better than no church?

Sorry if I’m in the wrong spot, please comment if there is a better place for this question.:slight_smile: anyway I’m 14, and I really want to become catholic. My Family sometimes goes to a small Protestant Church down the road from our house, and considering how I’m not independent, that will definitely be the only church I go to for at least a year and a 1/2. So I ask, is it better to go to a Protestant Church, and learn about Christ and study the Bible, or stay home and simply wait until I can begin conversion? I was never baptized, but I want to wait until I convert to get a catholic baptism.

Yes. I’m impressed that a 14 year old has such real interest in religion, I wish you were more common.

The answer to your specific question is yes, belonging to a Protestant group is better than none; provided that the Protestants are not anti-Catholic or teaching overt heresy.

Going to a Protestant church, you get to hear the written Word of God and you get to be in a community of believers who can help encourage you to live the faith better. If you learn the Catholic faith and are firm in your beliefs, hearing the false teaching that may come from a Protestant church shouldn’t be too bad. I say that a Protestant church would usually be better than nothing. Of course, that also might depend on which Protestant church you’re going to.

So, until you can become Catholic, my advice is to go to the Protestant church, but take what they teach with a grain of salt. Look it up to make sure it’s consistent with Catholic teaching, and if it isn’t, take the Catholic teaching over what they said (just don’t make a big deal out of it and try to confront the pastor).

Yeah, we are quite a rare breed. Although, it’s not really as it seems. Many teens ARE interested in religion, but they only want to discredit the Bible or God’s very existence. I’m not sure if it’s because teens don’t like having rules to follow or what but it really is sad

Depends what kind of protestant they are. Some protestant churches will teach you about how evil the Catholic Church is, and then a few years down the line baptism in a Catholic church is the last thing you’ll want. However some protestant churches, e.g. Anglicanism are really not very removed from the Catholic Church (obviously you cannot get the Mass though) if you’re just looking to start attending a church … any church.

But my advice is to just read online, (paper books exist too!) Take part in discussions on CAF. Pray. Learn about the Church you want to join.

It’s not heretical or anti-catholic, it’s mostly just reading and understanding the Bible for the first half, followed by about 20 min of hymns, followed by a sermon. That’s the typical structure. Unless, (and it might be a silly question) it’s heretical to listen to somebody try to explain the Bible that isn’t a clergy member?

I do my fair share of reading online, mostly the CCC. For what it’s worth i also say catholic prayers before meals and i go to sleep.

It’s not heretical. Its illicit for lay people to preach at a Catholic Mass, but we are not talking about Mass.

O goody goody probably more than me. Pray for me.

No, that is not a problem. I would not recommend a Seventh Day Adventist or LDS(Mormon) group, for example, as they are too disparate from mainstream Christianity.

Sure! Will do

I thought you said LSD Church :grin:

If you can at all since you won’t be able to become Catholic for a while talk to a Priest and ask him for a list of GOOD easy TRUE Catholic books and go to the library and get them and read them. That’s one way to get started.

The one I like a lot is “Catholicism for Dummies” written by 2 Priests. Don’t let the name upset you, I used it to help my son with high functioning Autism get ready for Confirmation along with other books and it was very helpful. It’s just a good all around book to get started with.

closed #15

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.