Is a sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit forgiven?

Does the passage below which is taken from the catechism imply that the sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is unforgivable? I have committed such a sin years ago. Of course I've since confessed that sin but the way I understand the passage below is that a sin of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit can never be forgiven.

*1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.”136 There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit.137 Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss. (2091, 1037) *

What the Catechism paragraph you are quoting is saying is that to sin against the Holy Spirit is to refuse to repent of sin. As long as someone is repentant then God forgives. However is someone refuses until death to accept God's mercy then they are not forgiven. If you repent then you are not committing a sin against the Holy Spirit.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.