Is a small get-together a proper activity for Good Friday?

Hello,

As a young Roman Catholic, I am in deep confusion about what proper activities for Good Friday would be. I plan on watching Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ (which is equivalent to watching the Stations of the Cross, I believe). I also plan on attending mid-day Mass.

Aside from fasting and the other necessities, are there any other restrictions about what we should and should not do on Good Friday?

As a college student, I have not had any time off from my studies until the day of Good Friday. A few of my good friends have planned a small get-together for this day, and I would like to know if it would be suitable to attend such event. There will be no excessive drinking, smoking, or the like. It is solely an innocent party to begin the next weeks of examinations. My friends are not all Catholics (some are), so nor is it a get-together to reflect on Jesus’s sacrifice for us.

However, since I will be spending the entire day fasting and reflecting, I was wondering if it would be against Church teaching to attend this get-together in the evening, or not.

Thank you,
Kristina

Hi Kristina,

Watching Mel Gisbson’s movie is NOT the same as praying the Stations of the Cross. It’s a good preparation for such prayer, though.

Good Friday is not a day for socializing and parties. It is a day of fasting and praying. Go to bead early and get some rest. You can socialize on Saturday and Sunday.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.