Is A Song Of Ice And Fire contain christian mythology?

Anyobody else read A Song Of Ice And Fire??
It's a series of fantasy novels by George R. R. Martin.

Much of the story is about politics and struggle for power, but there's a character named Jon Snow, who sacrafices a normal life and goes to something called 'the wall', to defend the realm from basically supernatural and un-civilised pagans. He becomes part of a Brotherhood which sole purpose is defend the people.
Now this sounds nothing like religion, but Jon fundamentally gives up much of his life to serve a higher purpose and become a better person.

No. Jon Snow was a “bastard” and didnt have a whole lot of other options available (if I remember correctly, its been a while). And when you get a ways further into the series you will understand the brotherhood better.

The book, all in all, does not promote magic or demons or anything like that. Its a very good, incredibly well written, series that has become frustrating by George Martin’s lackadaisical attitude to finishing it.

But I love/loved the series so far. like absolutely LOVED it.

No christian underpinnings IMO. If there are you’d have to be looking hard and scretching for it.

Jon Snow as a bastard wasn’t officially a Stark so wouldn’t be in line for any of the benefits of the family. More than likely he would have been forced from the household upon adulthood anyway as not to raise questions of Robb’s claim to the throne.

IOW, Jon Snow wasn’t giving up much going joining the Night’s Watch, he was finding a new home as would likely have happened either way.

Bastards are given nature inspired last names instead of the family name of their father because they are not considered officially part of the family and are not heirs. Not to mention it’s easier to hide a bastard from your wife if he doesn’t bear your last name. Eddard was much more compasionate than most Lords and insisted that Jon live with them because Jon was his responsibility. Most lords (in the book and history) would likely have done their best to distance themselves from a bastard.

I noticed that Eddard Stark, the truly lawful good character was killed of for his values in truth and justice.

[quote="Blood_Angel, post:4, topic:233615"]
I noticed that Eddard Stark, the truly lawful good character was killed of for his values in truth and justice.

[/quote]

Am I to assume by your name that you're also a 40k fan?

[quote="Blood_Angel, post:4, topic:233615"]

[/quote]

Yes, Eddard was one of the very few seemingly morally correct characters in the book (minus the affair of course :blush:).

[quote="Havard, post:5, topic:233615"]
Am I to assume by your name that you're also a 40k fan?

[/quote]

Yes sir, you're right. I collected them for a while.

[quote="Blood_Angel, post:7, topic:233615"]
Yes sir, you're right. I collected them for a while.

[/quote]

Ah. I've never played, but I love the novels. Have you read the Gaunt's Ghosts series?

[quote="mcrow, post:6, topic:233615"]
Yes, Eddard was one of the very few seemingly morally correct characters in the book (minus the affair of course :blush:).

[/quote]

Well, unless popular fan theories regarding the possibility of Jon Snow being actual the son of Rhaegar and Eddard's sister are correct.

[quote="Havard, post:8, topic:233615"]
Ah. I've never played, but I love the novels. Have you read the Gaunt's Ghosts series?

[/quote]

I havn't really read any of the 40k novels, I'll have a look though.

[quote="Blood_Angel, post:10, topic:233615"]

[/quote]

Anything by Dan Abnett is golden. Especially the Gaunt's series. It's like Band of Brothers, but in the future; it follows a regiment whose planet was destroyed, so they have no families and no home, just each other and the promise of someday being given a new home, if they don't all die first. :o

[quote="Blood_Angel, post:10, topic:233615"]

[/quote]

Anything by Dan Abnett is golden. Especially the Gaunt's series. It's like Band of Brothers, but in the future; it follows a Imperial Guard regiment whose planet was destroyed, so they have no families and no home, just each other and the promise of someday being given a new home, if they don't all die first. :o

[quote="Havard, post:12, topic:233615"]
Anything by Dan Abnett is golden. Especially the Gaunt's series. It's like Band of Brothers, but in the future; it follows a Imperial Guard regiment whose planet was destroyed, so they have no families and no home, just each other and the promise of someday being given a new home, if they don't all die first. :o

[/quote]

I like the sound of it!!

[quote="mcrow, post:6, topic:233615"]

[/quote]

Jon is Rhaegar and Lyanna's son, not Ned's. So no affair from Ned! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.