Is abortion a mortal sin?

The referendum in Ireland would indicate that.

I think we fool ourselves if we think that there are not Catholics who (sadly) support abortion.

There are several nominally Catholic organisations that support, as they call it, ‘a woman’s right to choose’. Catholics For Choice is one such.

I am a Catholic that is very pro choice- respectively. I do not believe it to be a mortal sin, and should be a decision left to her and him. Though I would rather see some of these kids just get thrown into adoption, I understand abortion if it is early enough and especially from cases of rape, incest, or endangering the mother.

First of all, this is not a “Christian” nation. We are free to practice any religion we please. For us it is Catholicism, for others it could be Judaism, and for others nothing… In my humble opinion, there is no wrong answer, as long as you’re a good person and helps you get through this life. But the assumption that we are a Christian nation is wrong and not what the founders intended. I also wouldn’t argue historic fact with me because I am very well read on the subject.

We are not 85% Christian, a simple google search would have shown you the correct percent is somewhere in the 60-70 range. And, many younger people reject Organized religion, I am afraid these numbers will slowly decline. Being as that they have been in slow decline for a few decades now.

Abortion is MURDER.

Any Catholic who is pro-choice may not receive Communion as they have put themselves in a state of mortal sin.
Before anyone jumps in and says three conditions must be met for a sin of grave matter to become mortal I do not believe there is any Catholic who supports abortion (which is what pro-choice means) who does not know this.

I find it incredible that a woman can treat a human life as a parasite in her body and kill it.
It is said there are different punishments in Hell. If that is so it should be a severe punishment for murdering the unborn.

Do you remember the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah? I can imagine that they were also liberal with their interpretation of God’s Word.
Jesus stated this: " “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.” The CCC is not the word of God . . . but the word of the Church, which history shows, has many errors. There is no easy way out - if you PLAN an abortion - HAVE an abortion, then believe you have a way out of this mortal sin by asking the Church for forgiveness under the rules of church leaders and not GOD, you will not find yourself in heaven!

I will again reply with the following:
Do you remember the Biblical cities of Sodom and Gomorrah? I can imagine that they were also liberal with their interpretation of God’s Word.
Jesus stated this: " “Don’t imagine that I came to bring peace to the earth! I came not to bring peace, but a sword.” The CCC is not the word of God . . . but the word of the Church, which history shows, has many errors. There is no easy way out - if you PLAN an abortion - HAVE an abortion, then believe you have a way out of this mortal sin by asking the Church for forgiveness under the rules of church leaders and not GOD, you will not find yourself in heaven!

What you are doing is ‘Progressivism’ at its worst. You parrot what you have heard on the liberal media and rationalize your position as acceptable by the Catholic Church. You are sadly, very wrong - but you can’t see it.

I have news for you sister . . . you are NOT a Catholic with that mind set! Kids aren’t “thrown” into adoption . . . they are good married people wanting to raise the babies that are thrown away by people like you! Here are others whom felt that they were not sinning against God:

Joanauin not thistle posted that.

I wouldn’t use the word Catholic so lightly.

I have news for you sister . . . you are NOT a Catholic with that mind set! Kids aren’t “thrown” into adoption . . . they are good married people wanting to raise the babies that are thrown away by people like you! Here are others whom felt that they were not sinning against God:

You obviously do not believe the Catholic Church is the one established by Christ or you would not say that.
Christ gave the Church authority in matters of faith and morals and ALL teachings are fully supported by the authority of God. Anyone who rejects a Church teaching is rejecting God.
By the way, there have been no changes to or errors in any Church doctrine in the past 2000 years!!

There is a real denial going on in society which has sadly seeped its way into members of our congregations. It either denies that an unborn child is alive (which is nonsense from a scientific point of view) or tries to deny this living human the right to life, through subjective concepts such as ‘personhood’ etc.

Why are so many people (even people sitting in pews of our churches) swallowing this? I think mass media propaganda, a warped concept of women’s rights (the right to kill your child is a strange and sick ‘right’) and a warped sense of ‘compassion’ that does not seem to care much that an innocent human being is killed.

It had all become so twisted that those who support the killing of children in their mothers’ wombs are now portrayed as compassionate, as caring. Is tearing an innocent child apart, limb from limb, in the only home he/she has ever known, under the instruction of his/her mother an act of compassion?

Abortion is the deliberate killing of an innocent child, it is morally evil.

CCC 2271 Since the first century the Church has affirmed the moral evil of every procured abortion. This teaching has not changed and remains unchangeable. Direct abortion, that is to say, abortion willed either as an end or a means, is gravely contrary to the moral law:

FINALLY! Someone who understands! Yea, there is no ‘middle ground’ on the subject of abortion as well as many others. Jesus did not bend over backward to be recognized or parrot the beliefs of the day - he was a rebel! Interested only in what was right!!

GOD IS NOT PLEASED WITH ABORTION BECAUSE HE ALONE IS THE AUTHOR AND FINISHER OF ALL LIFE NO MATTER HOW IT HAS COME .

Exodus 20:13,Isaiah 59:7-8,Genesis 9:6,Proverbs 6:16-19

There is no way to get ourself “out” of a mortal sin. Nobody can trick God. Abortion would be a mortal sin for me. Nobody can trick themselves out of mortal sin. I’m talking in response for other people who find themselves in the situation. A drug addicted prostitute who doesn’t have the full capacity to properly make a free choice due to her psychological and chemical addiction “could” be a scenario where all the criteria are not met for a sin to be mortal. Like I said, your argument isn’t with me.

There are three conditions that make an act a mortal sin:

An act of grave matter that is…
Committed with full knowledge and…
Deliberate consent.

All three conditions must be met for it to be a mortal sin. If one condition is seriously lacking, it’s not mortal— it’s considered a venial sin. (See the Catechism’s section on mortal sin, numbers 1854-1864)

Of course, such actions are still wrong!

A lack of knowledge or freedom only reduces our culpability (our degree of responsibility or guilt). We’ve still committed an act that is objectively evil. Such an act cannot help us to grow in grace, virtue or charity. The only upside is that our reduced responsibility means that we don’t kill the life of grace entirely.

A moral evil just makes a sin grave matter, not necessarily mortal. Whether a sin is mortal or not is subjective to the individual and their conscience/ relationship with God, their faith, their freedom. This has been the teaching for over 500 years, not since Vatican 2. The OP question was is abortion a mortal sin? The answer is Yes for some people and No for some people. The Op didn’t ask is abortion always a moral and intrinsic evil… or the answer would be a resounding yes… the OP question wasn’t is abortion an ex communicable offence? The answer is yes.

Abortion is a terrible offence. It’s willful murder. With millions of babies killed every year, I would argue that it is the greatest moral evil of our time… I am just responding, with church teaching to the question the OP posited. Is abortion a “Mortal Sin”.

For the same reason that our health organizations refuse to research and publish the possible side effects of abortion, such as breast cancer. Because abortion is a huge business and makes a lot of people a lot of money. The pro-choice side is also so wrapped up in their autonomy argument that they fail to comprehend the actuality of the preborn as being human persons of equal dignity and respect, just at a different level of development. It is truly an intellectual problem, and the enormity of the largely pro-choice left keeps everyone lockstep in that fantasy.

May God bless you all! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.