Is abortion ever medically necessary to save the life of the mother?

Would it be better until the baby naturally dies in the “tubular pregnancy”, so that there’s be no dilemma about whether an abortion occurred or not?

Actually, there is more to that case.

The mother was suffering from pulmonary hypertension. You can google documents from the NIH that explain various treatments for PH during pregnancy.

See my last post above which I finished after you wrote this.

But the treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not a abortion, rather the procedure will mostly likely cause an indirect abortion

That pregnancy is not viable in the least. It’s a medical emergency :rotating_light:

I am not asking that

I know that the Church does not see this as direct intention. The intention in this surgery is for saving the mother which leads to the inevitable death of the unborn.

I am asking if the direct intention of killing the child through an abortion is medically necessary to save the mother in some cases?

(What is wrong with this question?)

Now I see the terminology mix up. Does the bolded question make sense to you?

https://www.ewtn.com/vote/double-effect.asp

As far as I know, No.

Your question doesn’t make sense.
How can a surgical procedure be objectively medically necessary on the basis of somebody elses moral intent?

The medical question is simply whether or not the mother will likely die or not if the tube with foetus inside is not removed.

The ethical question is whether that should be done if she will likely die.
Secular surgeons may well decide differently from a Catholic father (though no longer in the case of ectopics due to the longheld Church ruling).

You seem to have mixed the two together.

I know that the Church does not see this as direct intention. The intention in this surgery is for saving the mother which leads to the inevitable death of the unborn.

You still haven’t quite got it.
Intention is not objective like medical prognoses.
All we are saying is that mother and surgeon are able to form an OK intent in this situation. The procedure does not make a good intent impossible with the killing. The death involved is still a physical evil, but the overall human acts involved can be good. Indirectly intending the death is not a moral evil.
That doesn’t mean they always are good. It depends on what manner of intent each person involved actually manifests.

Not even ectopic procedures are morally good just because the Church says they can be.
The particpants must have the necessary intent required.

In some procedures it is impossible even for the best of people to form a good moral intent - murder, direct killing of the innocent etc.

How about another question:

what kind of abortions are considered immoral and condemned by the Church medically speaking?

All of them. Abortions are direct actions taken against the fetus, specifically. There aren’t any times that is considered moral by the church.

Are any of these abortions ever necessary to save the life of the mother?

You have to treat the condition not attack the fetus. It follows that if the fetus is causing the issue (hypertension for example) you deliver the healthy baby to save the mother.

Ok. That is my question. I don’t know why it was so hard for others to answer

To be fair, I’m going out on a limb here. It’s logical, but not necessarily a specific teaching.

True

(10 characters)

All direct abortions are immoral.

Sorry, my bad, I meant almost always for the mom. With medical intervention it is fixable (obviously!) but if you don’t catch it, it usually is. Thank goodness you’re okay!! <3

My question (looking back at the one you addressed in the above quoted post) doesn’t make sense. Sorry. So I’m going to ask you if this makes sense:

Is direct abortion medically necessary to save the life of the mother?

@Lillypilly read my post for better clarity on what I am asking

Because Christ promised us that every time there is a temptation to sin there will also be a way to escape that sin, we can rest assured that there is never a situation where direct abortion is the only choice. We trust Christ’s words to be true.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.