Is abstinence required when taking the Pill?

A person recently wrote in that their wife was taking the pill for regualtion of her menstrual cycles, and it was answered that it is permissable for her to take the pill for medical reasons. I had been perscribed the pill for PMDD (Pre-menstrual Dysphoric Syndrome) but I was too afraid to have a regualr sexual relationship with my husband. On one hand I was advised that it was okay to take it by my confessor if for medical reasons, but at another time, ANOTHER priest during confession told me that I would have to NOT have sex with my husband. We HAD a regular sexual relationship at one point WHILE taking the pill, but I developed this fear and stopped having sex with husban…I eventually stopped taking the pill. The tension it created for me was counter-productive, and I was TOO EMBARRASSED to return to my confessor about the matter.

So I guess I want to know : ** Must** married people abstain from sexual contact during the time the pill is used for medical reasons?:confused:

Lisa,

This link should answer your question on if a woman using hormone therapy to treat a medical condition is required to refrain from intercourse with her husband. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by this link, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Is it OK to take birth control pills for medical reasons?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.